Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Flash to Pass

When I was much younger learning to drive, I was taught to flash a car (with my headlights) from behind if I wanted them to move over (into the lane beside them) as this was more curtious then leaning on the horn.

Today, I was driving home in the rain and got stuck behind someone doing 60 in an 80 zone sitting in the right lane. I know the road, and there wasn't a right turn for at least 5 k's so rather then zooming up the left side of them, I just gave them a quick flash of the headlights which they responded to by giving me the bird! So I ended up having to duck up beside them and pass them onthe left ... and I made sure I gave her a curtious bird in return.

My question is: Does anyone still use Flash to Pass, or have you even heard of it? And given todays crackdown on stupid laws, is it even legal?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
When I was much younger learning to drive, I was taught to flash a car (with my headlights) from behind if I wanted them to move over (into the lane beside them) as this was more curtious then leaning on the horn.

Today, I was driving home in the rain and got stuck behind someone doing 60 in an 80 zone sitting in the right lane. I know the road, and there wasn't a right turn for at least 5 k's so rather then zooming up the left side of them, I just gave them a quick flash of the headlights which they responded to by giving me the bird! So I ended up having to duck up beside them and pass them onthe left ... and I made sure I gave her a curtious bird in return.

My question is: Does anyone still use Flash to Pass, or have you even heard of it? And given todays crackdown on stupid laws, is it even legal?
I remember an old triton we had had a sticker on the headlight stalk that read flash to pass or something similar..however never heard of anybody actually doing this, i find it easier to just pass on the left anyway
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Jesmol

I think its now interpreted as "Get out of the friggen way slowcoach" hence the response you got.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesmol
I think its now interpreted as "Get out of the friggen way slowcoach" hence the response you got.
It's annoying but you're right. and the response is usually that they slow down and stay in the right lane. I've found the most effective solution is to come up behind the driver close enough that they know you want to pass, but settle back at a respectable distance so they don't feel like you're trying to start a fight with them - doesn't always work but the the other option is even less effective - as soon as you start tailgating or flashing, the likelihood of them moving over for you is about nil...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

More a European idea I think.
Here it is taken as Jesmol said
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I still try but get similar responses to what you received most of the time.

Drivers in this country just aren't as well educated or as curtious as they should be.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I remember watching bathursts when they'd do it to lapped traffic to tell them to get out of the way....

Other then that, no idea.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

When I did my bike test years ago, they said flash before overtaking, bikes being harder for some people to see. I seem to recall my old Kwaka GPZ had a momentary switch labelled 'pass' for the high beam.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did my driver traing 20 years in NSW. While I was aware of the flash to pass rule, it was not being taught. Probably because in those days, everybody was 5-10 k's over the limit, and as an L plater, you had no reason to overtake.

I do believe that it should be taught. Along with common courtesy.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was also done as a courtesy when road trains would overtake you.
You would flash them to indicate to them it was safe to merge after they overtook you so they wouldnt run u off the road.

These days I only do it to road trains to tell em im coming through... usually if they see me they will quickly indicate sometimes to say its clear.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use it, normally ends up making the oblivious idiot in front slam on their brakes on. Or just go slower.

I dream of a day when the average Australian knows how to drive cars properly.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #12
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dream of a day when the average Australian knows how to drive cars properly.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath Ben
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
GUTLES
Adam.

I had some do it to be, it actually made me really angry.

I was doing the speed limit & overtaking at the time.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe it is in the NSW learner driver handbook.http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...s_handbook.pdf, bottom of page 129. I use it on the freeway if someone stays out in the right hand lane and I am going faster and they should be in the left lane. I get different results but mostly they do the right thing. Sometimes the finger. Yes I also use it out on the highway if it is single lanes and I wish to overtake. Again different results but mostly good.

Last edited by deesun; 01-11-2010 at 11:38 PM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I don't think I've ever used it. I think I just tend to lurk in wait for that moment to get out and go around them. I've been known to lurk for many a kilometre.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #17
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Flash to pass is an optional move that is held in The UN Convention of Road Traffic including amendments to date.

Its been in the AUS books (old jurisdictional legislation and then ARR's) certainly since bout 53', likely earlier. It remains a single sentence advisory in all of our state and territory driver handbooks.

The *flash* gets (better) attention, the indicators >>>>>..<<<<<then show your direction-intention! Useful for some intercity freeway and rural highway driving when approaching a dozy car or a 'train' of them.

Not intended to nag other drivers to get the hell outta the way . . . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Not intended to nag other drivers to get the hell outta the way . . . .
OOPS my bad.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
OOPS my bad.
Doesn't matter, its easy enough to distinguish between the two flash intentions:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Flash to pass is in the Australia Road Rules (Part 13, Rule 218).

Quote:
218 Using headlights on high-beam
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not use the vehicle’s headlights
on high-beam, or allow the vehicle’s headlights to be used
on high-beam, if the driver is driving:
(a) less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the
same direction as the driver; or
(b) less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.

Note High-beam and oncoming vehicle are defined in the dictionary.

(2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver
may briefly switch the headlights from low-beam to highbeam
immediately before the driver begins to overtake the
vehicle.
Note Low-beam and overtake are defined in the dictionary.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #21
fmc351
let it burn

Are we talking freeways or just dual carriageways? AFAIK, in Qld roads under 90km/h dont mandate keeping left.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #22
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
AFAIK, in Qld roads under 90km/h dont mandate keeping left.
about 10 years ago (maybe more) I remember something over here in WA about the introduction of uniform national road rules, and that was one of them. It used to be keep left at 80kmh and over here, but it became either over 80 or 90+ (can't remember which is the exact term but both the same as I've never seen an 85 zone). It did say that keeping left at lower speeds is still advised as common courtesy but not too many people seem interested in that idea
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
about 10 years ago (maybe more) I remember something over here in WA about the introduction of uniform national road rules, and that was one of them. It used to be keep left at 80kmh and over here, but it became either over 80 or 90+ (can't remember which is the exact term but both the same as I've never seen an 85 zone). It did say that keeping left at lower speeds is still advised as common courtesy but not too many people seem interested in that idea
I agree, but I dont get miffed when they dont. Apparently they dont have too, and Im not in a position to reason why they may feel the need to be in the right lane. Im rarely in that much of a hurry, and if I am, its my own fault for not allowing enough time.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #24
seduced_xr
BF XR6

ive found that people cant stand to have somebody pass them or be infront of them, even if their doing 20 under the limit... they happily speed up to block gaps and then slow down when they get next to another car to block you back.. then they give you the bird when you eventually find a gap and nail it through.

for example.. last week i was coming through a roundabout and noticed another club member going through (spotted his stickers) and wanted to catch up for a chat.. i booted it through the next gap only to have someone entering from another part of the roundabout not give way and cut me off, they then proceded to do 20kmh under the speed limit.

it was the other club member. this other car and then myself. i tried this 'flash to pass' method (did nothing), then booted it past them when we entered the 80 zone.

other club member saw me and pulled up at the next shopping centre and i pulled up behind him. 20 seconds later this silly old cow and her husband pull up and start having it out with us.. why are you in such a hurry. flicking your lights back there..you darn p platers she kept saying.. hope you dont have any kids bla bla bla.. have a nice day you old cow as she drove off.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #25
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Having a late model white XR6T with dark tint has its advantages.. everyone moves out of the way
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #26
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Having a late model white XR6T with dark tint has its advantages.. everyone moves out of the way
It even works with a red one , or the adverse they see you and immediately slow down to 10 k's below the limit .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

God ... just reading thhat rule above ... we still have the 200m rule for highbeam.
That may have been all well and good for car back in the 70 when high beams were as powerful as candles.

But nowadays ... if i left my highbeam on by 200mm distance ... the poor bugger coming towards me would already be blind.

I think the law should be made to something more along the lines of line-of-sight for high-beam dipping.

Sorry ... got a tad off-topic there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #28
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In answer to the OP's question:

Yes I've heard of flash to pass and it is used a LOT in Europe (the land of people with a clue)

Reason you got the bird, is 90% of Aussie drivers are morons and want their 6ft of road and won't give it up, even if they are just plain stupid
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #29
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the highway i'll flash all i want if some moron wants to sit in the right hand lane going too slow.. Couldn't care less if they flip me off, i'll keep flashing until they move the hell over...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Yep, flash to pass has been around a long time

But few people who use it know how to say THANKS, normally its a left-right-left flash of the indicators when you pull back in...

Am a big fan of FLASH to pass as far too many people on our roads today forget what those 3 shiny things on their cars are and how to use them too!!!!!!!

A slow oblivious idiot should be fined for it, as equally as a speedster if not more so.

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post