Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default VCT start and idle trouble

The ute has been abit off beat, I plugged into the computer and its got a fault code for the cam postion sensor. Where is it? I have never come across thisbefore?
Thanks.

FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I found the sensor and replaced it but the car is still playing up. It starts rough and idles terribly but lift the speed up just a bit and its sweet as a nut. The car performs excellent except when standing still. So far i have thrown at it;
Fuel filter
Cam sensor
Coil Pack
Plugs
Leads
Cleaned the throttle body
Im running out of ideas and patience! What else could it be? Idle air control valve perhaps?
Old 14-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
EV1LXR8

is it on gas? mine (xr8) does the same thing, could it be the o2 sensors i have had the car 3 years and haven't replaced them yet, my car does the exact same thing on idle it will not fire smooth does it more on the gas but i can still notice it on fuel just not as much, if anyopne can help, you should...
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope not on gas mate but thanks for the effort . Hopefully someone can give us something.
Old 14-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be the o2 sensor

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
aufairmontghia
XR6

I would do the stepper motor next & O2 sensor after that!!!
aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
EV1LXR8

whats this stepper motor you speak of and where is it on an 8, and wat does it do
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
aufairmontghia
XR6

Check this out..

http://www.cyberspaceautoparts.com.a...ed-Motors.html
aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Have you done an ECU reset yet?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Blue_Flame
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufairmontghia
I would do the stepper motor next & O2 sensor after that!!!
Will a crook step motor cause the motor to shake at idle?
Mine shows the symptons of a vacum leak, IE: give it a rev and it does not return to idle straight away, sort of comes comes down in stages.
Disconect the stepper motor and it acts normal, IE: returns to idle straight away but drops too a lower idle.
Or could I just need to clean the throttle body?
Blue_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be the stepper motor which is causing the problems, give it a good clean out and try agian if it dont work, just replace it

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 22-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
Blue_Flame
Starter Motor

Well I pulled the throttle body and stepper motor off and gave it a clean, tightened the inlet manifold bolts, replaced the HT leads and set the spark plug gap.
The motor is much more responsive now but still shakes at idle, maybe not quite as bad as it was but it still shakes.
We have a Fairlane and a Falcon, both AU11's, the Falcon has the standard motor and runs like a clock, the fairlane the VCT motor and idles rough, it's that long I can't remember but does the VCT run smooth at idle or a little rough in comparision to the standard motor??
I have ordered a new stepper motor from cyberspaceautoparts the site aufairmontghia posted, thanks mate, $130 delivered as opposed from Ford $190, so I will see how it all turns out.
Will post results.
Old 22-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did u reset the ecu after you cleaned it, if u did it will run a lil crap probally for the first 100 ks

Old 22-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
Blue_Flame
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
did u reset the ecu after you cleaned it, if u did it will run a lil crap probally for the first 100 ks
Nah Mate, not sure on how to do that, I did disconect the battery the other day but nothing else.
The heads up would be appreciated.
cheers
Old 22-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
artemics
Starter Motor

here's the ecu reset link you're after
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/cgi-bin/i...f=techdocs/ECU
artemics is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flame
Well I pulled the throttle body and stepper motor off and gave it a clean, tightened the inlet manifold bolts, replaced the HT leads and set the spark plug gap.
The motor is much more responsive now but still shakes at idle, maybe not quite as bad as it was but it still shakes.
We have a Fairlane and a Falcon, both AU11's, the Falcon has the standard motor and runs like a clock, the fairlane the VCT motor and idles rough, it's that long I can't remember but does the VCT run smooth at idle or a little rough in comparision to the standard motor??
I have ordered a new stepper motor from cyberspaceautoparts the site aufairmontghia posted, thanks mate, $130 delivered as opposed from Ford $190, so I will see how it all turns out.
Will post results.
the vct should also run like a clock.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Blue_Flame
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemics
here's the ecu reset link you're after
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/cgi-bin/i...f=techdocs/ECU
Thanks Mate.
On it first thing this morning.