Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

Default Alternator Cable Upgrade

Hi guys,

I wanted to know whats involved in upgrading the 8gauge alternator cable to say 4 or 2 gauge. I've taken a look at the wiring diagram and the cable is going from the alternator to the fuse box (120A main fuse) and from the fuse box to the battery.

If anyone has every attempted this before some insight would be great, reason is I don't really want to take out the fuse box as it looks like a pain, are there any other alternatives

Thanks.

SAB_DA_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Why do you need to "upgrade" it?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
brad`
The Monty

at the end of the day the alternator can still only pump out its desgined amount of amps. 12.3 i think, good chance im wrong
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
SAB_DA_MAN
Starter Motor

Reason why I want to upgrade is to move the battery to the boot. And therefore I would need a larger gauge of cable due to the length.
SAB_DA_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Many moons ago I put twin batteries in the back of a HQ and just used the same gauge lead as standard and everything was fine...... well, it was once I figured out that I needed to run an earth line back up to the front of the car to the block again to get a good circuit. The first time I just earthed out to the body of the car at the back and then ran another lead from the shock tower to the block. This didn't work real well and alot of power was lost along the way back to the front of the car. Once I ran a lead straight from the battery back to the block it was all good.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

if you need to upgrade the alt cable, whatever it is you're doing simply shouldn't be done.