Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Eleanor

Default What's this in the AU Falcon boot?

Had to change the stop/tail bulbs in the AU for the first time since I've owned it and came across this (circled in blue).

Is this what gives off the 'whoosh' type of noise when the rear doors are closed?

Anyway it looks like the one of the previous owners has tried to move/remove it when changing bulbs on a previous occasion (which is not even necessary to do) and it is now not secured to the floor properly; ie it does not seem to be sealed to the floor where it should be. I tried to remove it to have a look at the underside of it but what appear to be philips-head screws (circled in orange) just spin and don't undo and if they are clips I couldn't pop them out...

Is it important to have it sealed? I'm guessing yes as it appears that some dust does get in through here. So any tips on how to get it out or refit it?

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor
Had to change the stop/tail bulbs in the AU for the first time since I've owned it and came across this (circled in blue).

Is this what gives off the 'whoosh' type of noise when the rear doors are closed?

Anyway it looks like the one of the previous owners has tried to move/remove it when changing bulbs on a previous occasion (which is not even necessary to do) and it is now not secured to the floor properly; ie it does not seem to be sealed to the floor where it should be. I tried to remove it to have a look at the underside of it but what appear to be philips-head screws (circled in orange) just spin and don't undo and if they are clips I couldn't pop them out...

Is it important to have it sealed? I'm guessing yes as it appears that some dust does get in through here. So any tips on how to get it out or refit it?
It's a vent. I think it's purpose is to ensure there's no undue pressure in the car when doors are closed. Could be wrong on that one though!

If it's not moving, then it looks to me to be in about the right spot. I wouldn't worry about it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

It's to make the doors close easier by venting the pressure caused by closing the doors..

edit: as GK said, if it's not moving then don't worry about it..!

cheers
Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Eleanor

It is in the right spot as the screw/clips in orange are still in place but is isn't sitting square to the floor. I can pretty well run my fingers around it under the other three sides.

My AU2
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

As GK and KR1STO said
my parents camry doesn't have one, so you often need a bit of force to close the doors
Old 02-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

its normal mate.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Eleanor

Okay we've established what it is and what it does but can someone who knows tell me how to remove the clips or screws or whatever holds it in place as I would like to refit it properly.

If they are screws then they are not screwing out at all and if they are clips they are the toughest I've come across.

My AU2
Old 04-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor
Okay we've established what it is and what it does but can someone who knows tell me how to remove the clips or screws or whatever holds it in place as I would like to refit it properly.

If they are screws then they are not screwing out at all and if they are clips they are the toughest I've come across.
Try a thin flat bladed screwdriver under the screws (or bracket) and put pressure upwards, either by twisting or lifting the screwdriver slightly.
This should help the Phillips head screw grip on whatever it's screwed into.

They could be self tappers with the thread stripped at the top, the Flat screwdriver trick might lift them enough to get a grip in the metal.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

iirc they are held in by scrivets... as Gas said, a thin blade under the 'screw' will help with levering the screw out... if it was me though, just pry them up enough under the ''washer and pull the buggers out with needle nose pliers... they are $2 for a 6 pack @ supercrap...

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
EV1LXR8

agreed just bust em out there crappy and plastic
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post