Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Rapid_Attack
Meh.

Default Portable In-Car DVD/TV

Hey,

I am looking for a half decent portable DVD/TV that isnt fixed into a headrest.

Recommendations welcome!

Rapid_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Dennis8

shop around, plenty of choices. I picked up the cheapest dual 7" screen setup from JB for $166 about 9 months ago for the kids, paid for itself first long trip let me tell you.

Depends what you're watching and who is watching, for the littlies watching cars/play school etc, the cheap units are good enough i reckon, if it was for adults watching movies with fast moving, detailed shots then obviously I would go bigger/better.
Dennis8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis8
shop around, plenty of choices. I picked up the cheapest dual 7" screen setup from JB for $166 about 9 months ago for the kids, paid for itself first long trip let me tell you.
+ 1 for JB Hifi.

I bought a cheap portable 7" player about 3 years ago and it's invaluable on long trips. Soniq was the brand, and it was only $135 and is still going strong. My unit has the swivel screen, which works a treat, as you simply place the unit on the centre console lid, with the screen turned around.

A twin screen unit would be good, but isn't really necessary if the unit sits in the middle as ours does.

Mind you, we have a general rule that we only put it on after the first few hours in the car. I certainly don't have the thing playing the whole time! The kids would love it though! LOL!

One thing to consider though. The inbuilt speaker wasn't really loud enough. If your kids are old enough to wear headphones without hassles, then any $2 type shop has decent items for $10 or so.

Another option is to try eBay for a portable speaker for laptops. I got this tiny unit, which is plenty loud enough for about $25. It charges via USB and one charge is good enough for a trip from Melbourne to Canberra and back.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post