Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default FG Falcon Upgrade Delivers More Equipment and Better Fuel Economy

Ford Australia today announced a significant upgrade to its award-winning FG Falcon, with the new range boasting more equipment and better fuel economy, as well as compliance with the upcoming Euro IV emissions regulations.

The upgrade is marked by the introduction of additional safety and technology features on sedan and Ute models, including the acclaimed ZF six-speed auto as the default automatic transmission for the entire petrol FG Falcon range.

Safety equipment levels on XR6 and XR6 Turbo Ute models have been improved with the addition of side head/thorax airbags as standard equipment, while Bluetooth mobile phone integration and iPod integration will both now be fitted as standard across all FG Falcon sedans and Utes<sup>1</sup>.

Previously both technology features were only standard on the luxury performance G6E Turbo model, although they were available as an option across the rest of the Falcon range.

Fuel economy improvements of up to 8.5 per cent have also been achieved on individual Falcon models, as a result of the transition to the ZF six-speed automatic and a host of hardware upgrades, software revisions and calibration enhancements.

In addition to the automatic transmission, hardware upgrades include the development of a new catalytic converter, which incorporates the latest catalyst technology with a higher cell density within the catalyst brick and a new washcoat.

A number of software changes have also been made to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), to deliver emissions, driveability and fuel efficiency improvements, including:

• Optimised cold start and warm up calibration
  • Optimised hot idle calibration
  • Revised pedal progression in line with Ford global DNA to provide a more progressive and linear launch profile
  • Minor transmission shift schedule changes for optimised upshift and cruise gear selection
  • Enhanced Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (DFSO) for optimal urban fuel economy
ZF six-speed automatic

The five-speed automatic transmission has been phased out on naturally aspirated petrol variants of Falcon sedan and Ute, and replaced with the highly acclaimed ZF six-speed automatic.

All Falcon variants powered by either the 4.0-litre I6 or 4.0-litre I6 Turbo engines are now available with the six-speed auto either as a standard feature or an option. The Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual continues as the standard transmission on XR sedans and all Falcon Ute models.

A new six-speed column shift mechanism has been designed for the entry-level workhorse Falcon Utes, so customers can still utilise the extra passenger capacity and flexibility of three across seating provided by the optional column shift auto.

Improved fuel economy

All naturally aspirated petrol Falcon sedans equipped with an automatic transmission now have a fuel consumption rating of 9.9 L/100km, which is an improvement of 5.7 per cent on the XT, G6 and XR6 models and a gain of two per cent on the G6E.

Exhaust emissions have also improved on these models as a result of the fuel consumption reductions, with all now producing just 236 grams of CO2 per km, which equates to a 5.5 star Greenhouse Rating.

Naturally aspirated Ute variants have generated an even greater economy improvement, with an 8.5 per cent reduction in fuel consumption on automatic Falcon Ute, R6 and XR6 models.

Falcon XR8

Falcon XR8 sedan and Ute models are not part of this Euro IV upgrade for the FG Falcon range. Details regarding plans for the iconic XR8 nameplate will be revealed at a later date.

Territory

The Territory is already Euro IV compliant, following the suite of technical developments introduced with the SY Territory MkII program last year.

These developments included a new, latest generation catalytic converter, a revised powertrain calibration, improved aerodynamic performance from the new front end design and reduced kerb weights on individual models.

Pricing

The upgraded FG Falcon range represents even greater value for money for large car customers, with the additional standard safety and technology features more than offsetting the slight increases to the Manufacturer's List Price (MLP) on most models.

MLP on the G6 increases by $500, yet it gains almost $2,500 worth of additional equipment with the ZF six-speed auto, Bluetooth mobile phone integration and iPod integration now fitted as standard.

MLP on the R6 Ute increases by $500, while it picks up over $1,000 worth of safety and technology features, along with the option of the previously unavailable ZF six-speed automatic transmission.

Manufacturer's List Price for the new FG Falcon range:

1iPod integration not available on Utes fitted with optional column shift automatic
* Combined fuel consumption as per ADR 81/02
^ MLP not inclusive of Luxury Car Tax (LCT)

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Great move making the ZF 6 speed the default auto for all the models, no mention on the new LPG variants yet.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nice!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see that the G6ET has increased most in value yet does not gain anything in this revision.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Oh i was right.. ZF Standard across the range...

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Wow zf standard. That is impressive.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Not clear when it starts, 1 July or like from now?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It was bound to happen, ZF 6 spd as standard accross the range sooner or latter.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Shoudl have made side airbags standard too... six speed auto is $2000 option on XR6T?? WHY?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised at the ZF offering, I thought they would have used the Ford 6-Speed Auto? Luckily head office told me not to update our fleet cars until mid year, otherwise we'd have a 5-Speed XR6 and not a ZF XR6! Very impressed Ford. Now I'm left wondering what is happening with the XR8, will there be a G8E, what's the go with the new LPG and will the FG start selling in improved numbers with these updates?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Not clear when it starts, 1 July or like from now?

I'd bet my left one its not till q3 so 1st July.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
I'd bet my left one its not till q3 so 1st July.
Cars go into build at end of April...

Therefore late May / early June they will be in dealers.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No mention of specification upgrades ?? LED tailights, electric passenger seat G6E, fast glass, up/down G6E etc ????
Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is "fast glass"??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No mention of specification upgrades ?? LED tailights, electric passenger seat G6E, fast glass, up/down G6E etc ????
None of that, it's just a Series II FG,

- Emissions improvement,
- 6-speed auto,
- thorax air bags on Utes,
- maybe some nick knacks for G6....

Oh and a price increase too..
Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
what is "fast glass"??
Fast glass is where the drivers window goes up or down with just a touch of the button. Not having to hold the button down to get window up or down.
Fail safe if fingers in the way. Another means of differentiating from XT and G6.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a fantastic package Falcon is even in base form.

I wonder if the Ute is the only column shift ZF in the world?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
What a fantastic package Falcon is even in base form.

I wonder if the Ute is the only column shift ZF in the world?
'Six on the tree' never sounded so good.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Bet Holden wished that had that for their Caprice PPV.....
Old 07-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It would be great to see the column shift available on more models such as R6 and XR6, so many dads end up getting dual cabs because one passenger seat isnt enough.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant believe the 5 speed had such a short run I remember a post on here talking about getting rid of the zf and only having the 5 speed and the new ford 6 speed
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Vale XR8? :

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
Bakis
XR6ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
what is "fast glass"??
Its also known as Auto up and down. The half decent mondeo's have it on all 4 windows and mums FG XR6 doesn't even have full up and down on 1. Thats the the motors on them struggle when using 2 or more windows at once.

This little things are what makes a good car great.

Weekend Cruiser/Project -1993 ED XR6

XR6ED Thread
Bakis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Vale XR8? :
Not likely, they are finished off by FPV so are joined at the hip to GT and GS.
Reports suggest that S/C V8 won't be ready until about September......
Old 07-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While the ZF is good news, it seems that Ford has spent the bare minimum to get Falcon across the line in terms of the EUROIV cut-off. I'll try to remain positive and hope that bigger and better things are in store for next year when the EcoBoost and LiLPG motors appear.

Does this mean that Territory base model still comes with the 4-speed auto? If any model was in dire need of some fuel economy improvements - its the Territory.

I also hope the delay in the XR8 announcement means that they are going all-out with this model rather than the sneaking suspicion that I have that it will be canned?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
6 on the tree, very nice for the commercials.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I also hope the delay in the XR8 announcement means that they are going all-out with this model rather than the sneaking suspicion that I have that it will be canned?
XR8 will not be dropped, I know that. I just wonder if it'll get the Supercharged engine too, supposed leaked reports suggest it will. Would help simplify development costs too.

I'm very suprised with Fords descision to make ZF standard. I was almost certain they would can the 5-Speed and ZF, and have the 4.0, 4.0T, LPG, Ecoboost and 5.0 all running the new Ford 6-Speed to simplify things. By the sounds, all of these will be ZF bar the EcoBoost. EcoBoost sounds like a true Ford fleet hack. Not that the EcoBoost or Ford 6-Speed are crap, but they are lesser than their cousins...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #28
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GoAuto gets in on the act:

Ford finesses Falcon for 2010
Ford Falcon rangeFinetuned: Euro 4-meeting 2010 Falcon sedan range now opens at more than $40,000, but brings tidy fuel economy gains.

Finetuned: Euro 4-meeting 2010 Falcon sedan range now opens at more than $40,000, but brings tidy fuel economy gains.
Six-speed auto and fuel economy gains headline Ford’s 2010 Falcon six upgrade

7 April 2010

By MARTON PETTENDY

FORD Australia has revealed a raft of improvements for its six-cylinder Falcon sedans and utes, less than 24 hours after we revealed the Blue Oval's all-supercharged 5.0-litre V8 plan for this year’s upgraded XR8 and FPV models.

As with the new force-fed Coyote V8-powered models, which are unlikely to emerge until September, the six-cylinder Falcon model upgrade is designed to meet tighter federal emissions legislation, which comes into effect from July.

Beating their blown bent-eight XR8 and FPV siblings to market by up to four months, Ford’s upgraded 2010 Falcon sixes enter production next month and will become available in showrooms earlier than anticipated in June.

“Falcon XR8 sedan and Ute models are not part of this Euro IV upgrade for the FG Falcon range,” said Ford. “Details regarding plans for the iconic XR8 nameplate will be revealed at a later date.”

As expected, while the Euro 4 Falcon upgrade brings no performance or cosmetic upgrades, there are equipment and fuel efficiency gains across the 4.0-litre petrol engine range, following the replacement of volume-selling models' five-speed automatic transmission with Ford's slick six-speed ZF auto.

Accompanying increases of between $100 and $1100 see the Falcon price range start above $40,000 for the first time, which Ford says is more than accounted for mechanical, equipment and safety upgrades.

The latter includes the standard fitment of side head/thorax airbags in XR6 and XR6 Turbo Ute models - but not in entry-level utes.

Similarly, while head-protecting front side airbags are standard across the Falcon sedan range, curtain airbags that also protect rear passengers remain optional at base level in the Falcon, unlike its locally-built large-car rivals.

Bluetooth phone and iPod connectivity will, however, be standard on all 2010 FG Falcons (except utes with an optional column-shift), instead of being standard only on the G6ET.

LPG-powered Falcon E-Gas models are understood to have received Euro 4 exemption until they are replaced by Ford's all-new LPI liquid-injection - which has been delayed until early 2011 - while the Falcon wagon will also continue unchanged, before it is discontinued mid-year.

Holden's answer to Ford's next-generation LPG Falcon appears increasingly likely to lie only in its first E85 Commodore, due on sale late this year, but Ford will have no direct response for Holden's direct-injection 3.0-litre SIDI V6 Commodores until its first four-cylinder Falcon appears in mid-2011.

There are no changes to the Territory, which was upgraded to Euro 4 standard as part of the SYII update in May 2009 before receiving a major midlife facelift and V6 turbo-diesel power early next year.

For 2010, Ford's polished ZF six-speed auto combines with a range of hardware and software revisions to lift the Falcon's fuel economy by up to 8.5 per cent.

Previously optional on the entry-level Falcon XT sedan and standard on G6E and G6E Turbo sedans and all XR6 Turbo and XR8 models, the six-speed ZF replaces the five-speed auto currently available on naturally aspirated petrol Falcons, including the XT, G6 and G6E.

Ford says all non-turbo, non-LPG Falcon sedans equipped with an automatic transmission now return average ADR 81/02 fuel consumption of 9.9 L/100km, representing an improvement of 5.7 per cent on the XT, G6 and XR6 models and a gain of two per cent on the G6E, while the G6ET and XR6T are unchanged and 11.7L/100km.

As a result, exhaust emissions also improve, with upgraded models now producing just 236 grams of CO2 per km, which equates to a 5.5-star greenhouse rating from the federal government.

Naturally aspirated ute variants fitted with an automatic transmissions bring an even great fuel economy improvement, with an 8.5 per cent consumption reduction for the Falcon Ute, R6 and XR6, ,which now return 10.7L/100km. The XR6T Ute is unchanged at 12.5L/100km.

While the six-speed ZF will become the default automatic transmission for the entire petrol FG Falcon range, the Falcon’s Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual continues as the standard transmission on XR sedans and all Falcon Ute models.

A revised column-shift option for the ZF has also been developed, allowing a three-position bench seat to continue to be available for entry-level Falcon Ute workhorses.

Engineering upgrades for the straight-six Falcon drivetrain echo those made to the Territory last year, including a new catalytic converter and revised powertrain control module calibration to deliver emissions, driveability and fuel efficiency improvements.

Ford says the former incorporates latest catalyst technology, including a higher cell density within the catalyst brick and a new washcoat, while the new PCM calibration includes optimised cold-start and warm-up calibration, optimised hot idle calibration, revised pedal progression and a more progressive launch profile, minor transmission shift schedule changes for optimised upshift and cruise gear selection, and enhanced deceleration fuel shut-off (DFSO) for optimal urban fuel economy.

The 2010 Falcon six range comes with price increases of between 0.2 and 1.9 per cent. Ford says the FG upgrade represents even greater value for money for large car customers, with extra safety and equipment more than offsetting the price increases on most models.

For example, Ford’s manufacturer’s list price (not including luxury car tax) increases by $500 for the Falcon G6, which is claimed to gain almost $2500 of extra equipment. Similarly, the R6 Ute price increases by $500 but includes more than $1000 of extra features.

Falcon sedan pricing now opens at $40,290 for the entry-level XT (up $600), making the cheapest four-door Falcon $300 more expensive than its most direct rival in Holden’s Commodore Omega sedan ($39,990).

Similarly, the base Falcon Ute now costs $31,095 (up $600), but remains $2395 more affordable than the auto-only Commodore-based Omega Ute ($33,490).

2010 Ford Falcon pricing:
Falcon sedan:
XT $40,290 (+$600)
G6 $43,490 (+$500)
G6E $50,390 (+$500)
G6E Turbo $58,990 (+$1,100)
XR6 $42,990 (+$100)
XR6 Turbo $48,990 (+$600)
Falcon Ute:
Base (CC) $31,095 (+$600)
Base (SSB) $31,395 (+$500)
R6 (CC) $33,095 (+$600)
R6 (SSB) $33,395 (+$500)
XR6 (CC) $37,890 (+$600)
XR6 (SSB) $38,190 (+$500)
XR6 Turbo (SSB) $42,190 (+$500)

Ford Falcon rangeFinetuned: Euro 4-meeting 2010 Falcon sedan range now opens at more than $40,000, but brings tidy fuel economy gains.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576FE0025F729

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Shoudl have made side airbags standard too... six speed auto is $2000 option on XR6T?? WHY?
Turbos get the higher torque rated version of the ZF, it must cost more.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
STILL no HID/projector whatever-they-are-called headlights?? Ford are having a laugh. Holden have had these standard in high models since VZ ffs.
But is that a deal breaker for buyers?
Obviously not as most people are happy with the usual lights.

HID/Projector lights are great but don't forget that the FG suffered some heavy cost cuts to get
it over the line and we're only now getting features that should have been standard at release.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-04-2010 at 07:22 AM.