Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Front 5x7 splits installation

Right, well, its cold, wet and I keep braking things, need a bit of assistance here.

Finally invested in some hertz 5x7 splits, and i've got the premo sound for the series 1 fairmont which had the tweeters in the a-pillar. Removed a-pillar, tried to take out tweeter, ended up ripping the bracket that its pop-rivited to.

So I've now got a nice flat surface to mount the tweeter to, however, I have no idea where the original cables from the tweeter run to, which is an issue because I wanted to cut them before the loom and run them into the splitter box, thus saving the hassle of screwing around running new cables.

I have no idea WHERE to mount the splitter box, especially the drivers side.

Finally, How in the HELL do you run new cables from the door to inside the car? The wires inside the cable boot are so tight its almost illegal (insert sexual innuendo here).

Im almost ready to take it down to wow sight and sound, but that would mean defeat!

Thanks in advance!

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am about to do this myself however don't already have tweeters (forte).

I can't help you with where the wiring normally runs to for the tweeters. Easiest way i have worked out is to put the splitter boxes inside the car reducing the amount of wiring you need to run.

Have a look at this diagram as this is what i plan to do.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...ltsinfront.jpg

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the easiest way i have found to get the wiring through is get a philips head screw driver that is long enough to reach into the car from inside the door, then tape a piece of string, or even your new speaker cabling to the end of it. push it through the rubber boot thing that connects between the door and the body of the car, and reach up inside the footwell until you can find the end of the screwdriver. with any luck your wire that you taped onto the end of it is still there, grab it and pull it through. all done, now just hook it up to your speakers and bob's your uncle (or auntie)

as for the splitter boxes, on the driver's side i tucked mine up above the fuse panel, the passenger's side i tucked into the cavity beside the glove box and i think i zip tied it in there somewhere so it didn't move around. as for the tweeters, i mounted them facing the driver and passenger at the bottom of the a pillar cover just above the dash.

hope that gives you some ideas on how to run the wiring
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
XR6SQ

I pulled my A pillar covers off yesterday to see if my new tweets had room to mount on-axis behind the standard trim. It looks like there is a big gap running down the dash when the A pillar trim comes off, try feeding the speaker wires down there and see if they pop out under the dash.

With running cables into the door, i believe the easiest way is to push the whole loom tube through to inside the door, gives easy access. Then as bodes-sh said you can push the wires through with a coat hanger or some wire.

As for the crossovers (splitter boxes), mount them somewhere they wont get kicked.
Secure them under the dash somewhere or under your seats. I under the dash wrap them in plastic or something to save the chances of a short incase they move.

EDIT: this was assuming your running an external amp, if not the same principals apply.

Last edited by XR6SQ; 13-03-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Spelling.
XR6SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hmm well after some fiddling around and advice from the car audio installers they recommended I mount everything in the door as the Hertz tweeters are 'bright' as they call it. So thats one problem down, i'll have to make another stab at the door loom, tried and failed. Thanks for all the advice people
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
XR6SQ

Yeah bright tweeters can be very fatiguing to listen to for long periods.

I would suggest not mounting the crossovers in the door if you can help it, as there is a lot of moisture and chances of movement in the door.