Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
olds

Default sedan or hatch

Hi all I'm looking at buying a new focus lx for the wife but I cannot decide between sedan or hatch any opinions appreciated thanks

olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
DragonMesh

Well i like sedans over hatchbacks however if you come to wanting to mod the appearance of the focus then the hatchback will be easier to source parts. Basically I think it will come down to which you like the look of more and what size objects is she going to be putting in the boot. Apart from that there isn't really anything else different imo.
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
mohit

If a rear wiper is a must then you'll have to go Hatch. Also with a Hatch i think you'll be better able to carry big loads by dropping the rear seats down. Not sure if the rear seats on a Sedan drop down too?
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need the hatch if you want to carry things as its a huge area with the rear seats down. I managed to get a 50 inch LCD TV in its box in there with no trouble but it would not fit in the sedan we had (which did not have folding seats). But they are a bit more noisy than the sedans especially with those factory tyres.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Rear seats definitely fold down in the sedan, and the boot area is bigger than a Falcon sedan.

The only aftermarket bits you miss out on with the sedan are the rear brake/indicator lights (LED/Lexus style, etc) and the reversing light. And the ST (XR5) or RS wing. Not a big loss.

Unsure of exact dB ratings, but I would imagine the sedan would also be slightly quieter given the boot is enclosed...but then again I may be a little biased.

At the end of the day, go with what YOU like. Maybe test drive both and see which you prefer.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

IMO the hatch looks better. And the load space is very flexible. I've had:
  • A 5 piece drumkit including cymbal bag, pedal bag and stands bag
  • A guitar in a hard case
  • A bass in a hard case
  • Small combo guitar combo amp
  • Bass amp head in small suitcase
  • Pedals and leads case
  • An esky full of beer
  • An over night bag
  • Two people

.....all at the same time.

And I was all level with the bottom of the windows so there was nothing blocking my view.

Oh, and it was in my LR 3-door, not my LV! The XR is bigger still!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
DragonMesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Rear seats definitely fold down in the sedan, and the boot area is bigger than a Falcon sedan.

The only aftermarket bits you miss out on with the sedan are the rear brake/indicator lights (LED/Lexus style, etc) and the reversing light. And the ST (XR5) or RS wing. Not a big loss.

Unsure of exact dB ratings, but I would imagine the sedan would also be slightly quieter given the boot is enclosed...but then again I may be a little biased.

At the end of the day, go with what YOU like. Maybe test drive both and see which you prefer.
I also found body kits hard to find (the back panel) but if i wanted one i would prob go with the Zetec one anyway. I agree and can confirm the huge boot. I've picked up many a lcd's and things like desks no problem
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
rand0mn00b

according to the specs, the sedan has quite a bit larger boot capacity than the hatch. can also confirm that the seats fold flat =)

the sedan is a few centimetres longer as a result and a few kilos heavier but IMHO is the nicer looking car.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sedan boot area may be larger than hatch "boot" area with seats up, but no comparro'
with seats down. You also dont have a solid, unmovable parcel shelf. The whole hatch area and inside area can be used from floor to ceiling, not just up to the parcel shelf height.

Both great cars though! Cough [go the hatch] cough..
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
olds

Thanks for all the Info It was helpful to hear things that I hadn't thought of. Looks like the sedan gets the nod though (mainly from my 12 Y.O. son) He says they look better.
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post