Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Default 95 vs 98 RON useage report

Folks,
I did say in a previous post that I would run on 95 Ron fuel for a while instead of the 98 and see if there is a difference.

I have been a believer that 98 is bigger than 95 so it must be better . . . nothing to back that up with, just thought it to be right.

Well, the past few months have been nothing more than a trip to/from work and an occasional blast through the local mountains.

Performance - maybe a bit better pick up with the 98 but not enough to make me stop using the 95.

Usage - Todays reading - 8.7L/100K (It was 8.5l/100K the day I changed from 98) I reckon that's no difference.

Interestingly - I lost 3 points last week on 95RON, exactly the same as I did on 98RON at Christmas time. . . you reckon a bloke my age would learn wouldn't ya. . .

Anyone else got any different results?

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Interestingly - I lost 3 points last week on 95RON, exactly the same as I did on 98RON at Christmas time. . . you reckon a bloke my age would learn wouldn't ya. . .

Fredo

That's classic!!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't forget it'll make a bigger deference when used in a car designed for 98.

some cars, ie a camry or a magna wouldn't care less what you put in it.

But other cars like XR6 turbos, XR8's, XR5's will have a bigger difference going from 95 to 98
Old 13-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I run 98 anyway. Its usually marginally cheaper than 95 and on the right days, its quite reasonably priced.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus, specially in our cases Tj, why would you spend your hard earned dollars on a new (performance orientated) car and then try n save a few cents on fuel?

Logic doesn't add up
Old 13-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feed an xr6t with mods and a stock XR5 95 octane never had a problem xr6t runs around 12.5l/100 and the xr5t seems to have settled to 10.5 l/100 dunno how this compares to 91 but I do know the xr6t don't like running on 91 it just runs awful on it and consumes lots more of it so I run the 95 because it is generally cheaper than the 98

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR5T will get better as well, depending on traffic and drive style aswell
Old 14-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have posted elsewhere on this. I have had my XR6T tuned to run on 98ron, and I did feel an immediate improvement in performance and throttle response.
In my note taking, I only gained a 1% improvement in fuel consumption from 91ron to 98ron, this does not justify the extra cost at the fuel bowser IMO, but my preference is still to use 98ron, as it is more cleaner burning (better for your internals) and I like the performance I get, so 98ron for me all the way !!
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -X-F-iles
I have posted elsewhere on this. I have had my XR6T tuned to run on 98ron, and I did feel an immediate improvement in performance and throttle response.
In my note taking, I only gained a 1% improvement in fuel consumption from 91ron to 98ron, this does not justify the extra cost at the fuel bowser IMO, but my preference is still to use 98ron, as it is more cleaner burning (better for your internals) and I like the performance I get, so 98ron for me all the way !!
you make it (98) sound like a curry burning your guts out from the inside - I hate spicy curries :

95 is every bit as good for your engine as 98 is they just dont push 95 as hard as 98 - wonder why that might be

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
don't forget it'll make a bigger deference when used in a car designed for 98.

some cars, ie a camry or a magna wouldn't care less what you put in it.

But other cars like XR6 turbos, XR8's, XR5's will have a bigger difference going from 95 to 98

The 1MZ-FE V6 powered Camry from 97 on ran a Lexus all alloy engine with a compression ratio 10.5:1 and did benifit with PULP by the managment system fitted dailing in more ignition advance to get more power from 141kw to 145kw plus.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post