Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
aufairmontghia
XR6

Default Koni Shocks!!!!

Guys

Just wanted to know your thoughts on Koni Shocks for my AU Fairmont Ghia IRS!!!

Is there anything wrong with this setup!!!
Koni Reds for front.
Koni Yellows for rear.

aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

The reds are not 'internally' adjustable - they have to be removed from the car to be adjusted.....if you care about that!!!

Personally, if you're having 1 of each, I would go yellows in the front and the reds in the rear.....then you can adjust the yellows as you go (if you can be bothered removing the coolant tank and airbox) to suit the front end, to assist with cornering and handling!!!

Or you could be like me and go yellows all round
Old 13-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761

Personally, if you're having 1 of each, I would go yellows in the front and the reds in the rear.....then you can adjust the yellows as you go (if you can be bothered removing the coolant tank and airbox) to suit the front end, to assist with cornering and handling!!!

Or you could be like me and go yellows all round
What he said. But for the minimal price difference you are better just going
yellows right round.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Koni's will be the next choice for me when these current shocks (BOGE) die.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Koni's will be the next choice for me when these current shocks (BOGE) die.
That could be a while mate - you should just take them out, sell them, and get the Koni's!!!

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in some nearly new Boge shocks for their AU's!!!
Old 13-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
That could be a while mate - you should just take them out, sell them, and get the Koni's!!!

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in some nearly new Boge shocks for their AU's!!!
Perhaps Dave. But I really want my cooler on first. By the time I get to sorting/changing out shocks again, they will need changing anyway.

Plus I'd be looking for a GOOD deal online for me to change so soon.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Koni Yellows plus some decent springs are gonna be my next fixture

Was putting my new wheels on (well trying to! DAMN WHEEL NUT HOLES ARE NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET THE WRENCH TIGHTENER DOOLEY THING IN THERE) today and notice that the springs looked pretty frigged

That's gonna be my treat next school hols, seeing as I now have a much cheaper insurance deal (thx justcar for saving me over $1k!!)

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

I'm not sure why you would want to mix them - maybe a price thing whatever?

If you can't afford the Yellows all round but do want a pair of on-car adjustable one end or the other then I would put the yellows on the rear.

The front of your car will not be changing whether you are at the strip or the track or just driving on the road. So once you get it set right for your weight and springs then that's it - no need to worry about changing it again. This may take you three or even four attempts to get it exactly right and is probably a bit of mucking around at first. But once it's done it's done!

However it is the rear that you will possibly need to alter "on the fly"; for instance if you are at the drags you will want a tighter set-up than on the street or even the track. And at the track you will need to change the rear settings for wet or dry racing.

Basically the front (suspension) of your car controls handling more than ride and the rear controls ride more than handling. So on the street for best comfort you need softer settings on your shocks - same for best rear end grip/drive on a wet track. On a dry track you might want to go a bit stiffer and at the drags you will want to go max stiffness at the rear shocks.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post