Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default AC Cobra MKVI

I liked this quote from Steve Sutcliffe

Quote:
And when you turn the key and the Corvette engine rumbles into life, it sounds just like a big-block Ford from 1968. Except not even one of those could provide the sort of crazed performance this car can generate at the twitch of your right foot
I can relate to the big-block comment.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...-V8-GT/241548/

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
AC MkVI

Test date Tuesday, July 14, 2009 Price as tested TBA

AC MkVI

6.2-litre V8 Corvette engine delivers 432bhp

AC MkVI
What is it?

This is the AC MkVI; let’s call it an AC Cobra with a difference. If the idea of a German-made AC Cobra that uses a Corvette engine and Porsche brakes is the sort of thing to make you regurgitate your Cornflakes, it’s probably best if you turn away right now.

If, however, you’ve always fancied an AC Cobra – a proper AC Cobra – but have always thought they’d be a bit, how shall we say, cruddy to drive, the AC MkVI may well be worthy of your attention.
What’s it like?

It’s not cheap at around £90,000, but then no car wearing an AC badge with 432bhp from a 6.2-litre V8 under the bonnet is likely to be affordable. What you get with this car is essentially German build integrity mated to a very obvious slice of English heritage, with a large side order of 22nd-century performance to round things off.

Made under license for AC Cars by Gullwing GmbH in Heyda, Germany, the AC MkVI provides a truly beguiling mix of old-world styling values with new-world dynamics.

The cabin, including its cramped dimensions and elbows-out driving position, is almost exactly as it was 48 years ago, when Carroll Shelby persuaded AC Cars to build him a car with which to go racing. It even smells of yesteryear, thanks to a heady mix of pungent leather trim and hot exhaust gases.

And when you turn the key and the Corvette engine rumbles into life, it sounds just like a big-block Ford from 1968. Except not even one of those could provide the sort of crazed performance this car can generate at the twitch of your right foot.

There are two engines: a normally aspirated one with 432bhp and a supercharged version with 640bhp, courtesy of the mighty Corvette ZR1. Even with a mere 432bhp it is mind-bogglingly rapid. Throttle response is hilariously strong beyond 2000rpm, and above 4000rpm the acceleration is borderline uncomfortable.

During an impromptu drag race we staged with a ZR1 for a forthcoming video, it blew the Corvette into the undergrowth to 100mph. And yet it rides/handles/stops/steers properly.
Should I buy one?

Were I a rich man, I’d have one of these in the garage like a shot. Alongside the Ferrari F40 and E30 BMW M3. It’s that kind of car.
Steve Sutcliffe
There we go

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There's something so wrong about an AC Cobra with a Chev engine in it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Warrenk

Boss XR8,
I agree with you, but this one is not a Cobra(Carrol Shelby sells Cobras), it is the AC Cars version of V8 powered Ace. AC cars supplied AC Aces to a American who put Chev motors into them( he called them Chevace) before they supplied Shelby with AC Aces who put Ford motors into them.

WarrenK
Warrenk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Thread title says AC Cobra MKVI.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to me it sounds like the best of both worlds.

AC looks, chev engine, porsche brakes...

definitely a combo i'd go for
Old 24-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

AC Aces/Cobras are amazingly pretty cars. Time has not been cruel to them at all.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Yup the Aces were pretty. The Aceas (hardtops) were a little less pretty, when AC fiddled with the original Tojero Ferrari copy front end it looked great. As the car was developed more it started to look a bit less pretty Ace – Cobra 260 – Cobra 289 – Cobra 289 FIA – Cobra 427

This looks like it is based on the AC Mk 3 (289) /427 body with the stiffer thicker frame, flared wheel arches and double wishbone suspension front and rear. The gullwing removable hardtop seems like a neat idea.

I wonder how far AC cars went with their reengineered Smart roadster idea when they were still based in Malta?
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post