Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Default Radiator Replacement

Gday all,

I am after some info on replacing the radiator in my AUII Forte 4.ol Auto.

I have tried searching for a thread with some info on how to etc but cant seem to find any.

I am assuming it is a fairly straight forward job ie take out the thermos undo bottom hose and drain, undo tranny lines and undo some bolts then hey presto......are there any tricky bits ie like the original hose clamps and how to remove them or what about the tranny cooler, does it just bolt of and onto the new one etc....

Pls advise.

I have sourced a new Adrad Rad for $135.00 and since the local workshop wnted $649 to supply and fit one I thought it best to attempt it myself.

Any help would be appreciated even if someone is close to Rockingham in the know I would be willing to provide some form of reward to help with the install.

jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
brad`
The Monty

try talking to Blueprint by memory he either works for a place that does radiators or isnt a employee of Adrad radiators so he might be ur best bet unless someone else sends u a reply

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

A few tricks

Not 100% sure of AU's, it has been a while since I had one but on the BA's the a/c evaporator is bolted to the radiator so just needs to be unscrewed and left in place while swapping over, go in through the grill

Also if the hose clamps are original they will have a rounded head cap on them, leftover from factory fitment, just lever this off and a bolt and screwdriver slot will be underneath.
The lower hose clamp screw points downwards from memory and needs the undertray removed to get to it. I always reverse this and point it up for next time.

Basically the rest is right, undo thermos, hoses, tranny lines and radiator.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Thanks guys........great tip on the clamp.......not sure about the a/c thingy but I dont think so. From what I have seen it looks straight forward......only real query now is the oil cooler on the front of the rad.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I just did mine last weekend.

Jastel has mentioned some great tips!

Only other thing I'd remember is if you're new radiator doesn't come with the nuts for the thermos, and screw cap thingys for the air cond evaparator, remember to swap them from your old radiator. Mine came with new ones, but I forgot to put them in! Luckily, I didn't get too far!

Re the trans cooler, if it's aftermarket, it'll most likely be ziptied to the radiator. Mine was, and I just cut the clips off the zip ties from the engine side, and then left the cooler resting in place in the front bar. Make sure you buy new zip ties though for when you need to fit the cooler to the new radiator.

Also, careful getting the grille out, as sometimes the grille clips come out with the grille, and can scratch your bar.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

thanks private9......after looking again I do believe it is the a/c evaporator and not an aftermarket oil cooler sitting in front of the rad.......I am still new to this car even though I have had it for 10months.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one very important thing not to forget.....don`t forget to plug the thermo`s back in at the end of the job........don`t ask how i know this :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
try talking to Blueprint by memory he either works for a place that does radiators or isnt a employee of Adrad radiators so he might be ur best bet unless someone else sends u a reply
Thanks for the free plug... lol

I dont work for a radiator company any more, however i consult upon cooling systems still to this day... and my parents still have their radiator shop inwhich i was trained...

I have done the radiator on my AU1 and one tricky part is the A/C cooler being attached to the radiator... other than that, all other tricks and methods have already been covered.

On a related note, in order to limit possible warranty voiding... ensure you clean the system as best as you possibly can... use the old radiator and my DIY method for flushing before the new radiator goes in...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

thanks B/P I will take your advice on the flushing.....just re the A/C cooler, just what was tricky about it??