Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Performance Car Purchase Dilema.
The Quicker 1 on paper and by results. 27 23.28%
The 1 that Felt Quicker to drive... 89 76.72%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Performance car purchase dilema..

Ok.. a bit of a hypothetical here, lets say you've test driven a number of vehicles, looked at magazine test articles and anictodal owner results for acceleration performance etc.
Vehicle a) stands out as a winner "by the numbers" its a bit faster to 100 or over the 1/4 than the other... BUT the other car of consideration, vehicle b) definitely "feels" faster "seat of the pants" to drive.. all other aspects between both vehicles are roughly equal in your mind, Some more background..
You are not inclined to be a weekend track warrior, the vehicle is a daily driver and for the occasional spirited weekend enjoyment..

The big question, Which one would YOU purchase?

Old 19-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

easy comparison in the real world 4vman is the xr6 turbo (is quicker, faster, more economical, wins on paper - but is soulless on the road) and the xr8 (feels and sounds better on the street). I chose the second option in this thread because in many ways i have regretted buying xr6 turbos - they are quicker, but on the road they leave me cold. So they become the wife's car. i will stick with my v8s.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go option B - its not like you can full utilise the speed and power of a car on the road anyway so why not get the most enjoyment TRYING to lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Option B, always go for the one that feels better.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've chosen A because it's the every day driver. I must be getting old. I like my creature comforts. :
Old 19-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

"what the heart says VS what the brain says"?
hard to answer as i would modify both cars anyway,different if you were going to keep it all stock?if both cars do the monday to friday just as well as each other then its down to the spirited driving factor for me.assuming both cars are of equal $ the one for me would be the officially faster one.if you had two identical cars built the same to choose from but one was 4 tenths faster over the quarter,would you buy the slower one?
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

No brainer for me, B of course.

Thats why i prefer old school muscle, they may not be the fastest or best handling compared by todays standards, but to me they just feel right and that is all that matters......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Norm, Im 2 weeks into driving XR8 FG and the difference over the XR6T BF is huge. Yes the turbo had the big " rush " but the 290 has the presence on the road. There will be no going back for me. Fuel economy is soooo close it doesnt matter which is also a bonus.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Definitely the one that feels faster. It's all about the driving enjoyment not about the numbers.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Definitely the one that feels faster. It's all about the driving enjoyment not about the numbers.

x2

That's what I've always said. Most times, from the heart is better than the head in these situations otherwise you regret it later.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I couldn't have said it better.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now here is a quandry. If something "feels" faster while not actually being faster this implies it is unstable and non-linear.

The human body cannot detect accelleration, it can only detect change in accelleration.

e.g.
After rotation in a heavy jet you are accellerating from about 200kts to maybe 400-600kts but it justs feels like you coasting along.
Conversly, a ride at the show or theme park fells like you are breaking the sound barrier when infact you are not going very fast at all.

For a vehicle to feel faster on the "bum-o-meter" it must be jerky and bumpy.

So.......do you want a JET or a THEME PARK RIDE..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel that whatever feels best, is a couple of tenths, really gonna make a difference, in everyday driving ????
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Norm just get the G6ET will you!!!!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have put deep thought into this one myself, and the answer would be the one that i would have most fun driving.... and the speed question ? if the one feels more lively to drive is still quick and is fun ....yes i would have that one, a few tenths / half a second behind......who cares its enjoyment factor for me, something clinical and fast is probably fun at times but the driving novelty would wear off pretty soon i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Director

what colour would they be?

only joking B for me

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Joshvee
A New Convert

A for me. Because flappist is on the mark. If it feels faster but is actually slower, it is more likely due to poorer suspension or theres something wrong with it. My F6 DEFINATELY "feels" faster than it's V8 counterpart.
Old 19-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
A for me. Because flappist is on the mark. If it feels faster but is actually slower, it is more likely due to poorer suspension or theres something wrong with it. My F6 DEFINATELY "feels" faster than it's V8 counterpart.
So are you saying its therefore slower in reality?

Old 19-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Your F6 It may be faster in some instances but let me assure you there is nothing wrong with either of my 8's and the suspension is just fine the noise and rocking of a cammed 8 leaves a turbo sneeze for dead IMO. This gives the car soul and adds to the driving experience so yes it may not be faster but the feeling is pretty good behind the wheel.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 19-06-2009 at 12:33 PM.
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
So are you saying its therefore slower in reality?
well by that, you are saying that all cars that are faster, feel slower and all cars that are slower, feel faster.... no logic there.

What I'm saying is that generally, cars that are faster, feel faster.
Old 19-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well by that, you are saying that all cars that are faster, feel slower and all cars that are slower, feel faster.... no logic there.

What I'm saying is that generally, cars that are faster, feel faster.
i think you need to read the original post before going off on a tangent....

Old 19-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

qUOTE - Your F6 It may be faster in some instances but let me assure you there is nothing wrong with either of my 8's and the suspension is just fine the noise and rocking of a cammed 8 leaves a turbo sneeze for dead IMO. This gives the car soul and adds to the driving experience so yes it may not be faster but the feeling is pretty good behind the wheel. - END QUOTE

I chose the F6 over the Boss simply because I was looking for a fuss free everyday car. This means I natually chose the car that requires the least throttle to get moving and to squirt in and out of traffic and overwhelmingly felt the most refined package. It is just a bonus that they are faster and use less fuel. I have a soul myself, thus I do not need to purchase one to make me feel speshial.
Old 19-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Buying a performance car is all about the feeling and enjoying the drive, isn't it? Isn't this why people buy performance cars in the first place, instead of Camry's and XT's? For enjoyment? The choice is simple really, choose the car that gives you the most enjoyment. Purchasing a car based on numbers is a silly purchase that you will end up regretting. A true enthusiast will choose the car that's 'right' for them, not necessarily the car with slightly better acceleration that you probably won't notice anyway.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
i think you need to read the original post before going off on a tangent....
Just responding to someone elses tangent.
Old 19-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #25
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

in the OP their is no F6 or Ford V8 mentioned?4Vman is that what you were hoping people would start to debate about?Turbo VS V8?Just trying to clear that up,are you talking about totally different cars?If not i think their is a similar thread having debate at the moment(2010 S/C GT).Or is this a question to help you in a purchase of a new vehicle?
Old 19-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
in the OP their is no F6 or Ford V8 mentioned?4Vman
EXACTLY.
Im not suggesting any particular engine type, transmission type or car group... everyone else is drawing their own concussions based on their own "prejudices"..

Old 19-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

i did the same,realised as soon as i hit submit reply
Old 19-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
everyone else is drawing their own concussions based on their own "prejudices"..
Just in case that was aimed at me. I am most certainly not prejudice. When I was looking for a performance car, I was actually looking for a V8 initially. I test drove a lot of cars, and finally narrowed it down to 3. The HSV R8 clubby, FPV GT and FPV F6. I preferred the FPVs interior so that narrowed it down to 2 cars GT or F6. I chose the F6 because it handled slightly better (maybe due to less weight in the front) used less fuel, (9.6 L per 100 km on my trip to Margeret River) and was faster. (On paper and feel) all other features were identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Your F6 It may be faster in some instances but let me assure you there is nothing wrong with either of my 8's and the suspension is just fine the noise and rocking of a cammed 8 leaves a turbo sneeze for dead IMO. This gives the car soul and adds to the driving experience so yes it may not be faster but the feeling is pretty good behind the wheel.
I'm geeting a bit tired of the V8 boys ragging on the F6 owners and saying we are turbo boys and have no soul. Every time I mention something about why I prefer my F6 you guys get all defensive and attack me. I couldn't care less whats under the bonnet. I chose the best car (for what I was looking for) at the time. I thought this was a Ford forum.... not a V8 forum.
Old 19-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just in case that was aimed at me. I am most certainly not prejudice. When I was looking for a performance car, I was actually looking for a V8 initially. I test drove a lot of cars, and finally narrowed it down to 3. The HSV R8 clubby, FPV GT and FPV F6. I preferred the FPVs interior so that narrowed it down to 2 cars GT or F6. I chose the F6 because it handled slightly better (maybe due to less weight in the front) used less fuel, (9.6 L per 100 km on my trip to Margeret River) and was faster. (On paper and feel) all other features were identical.

I'm geeting a bit tired of the V8 boys ragging on the F6 owners and saying we are turbo boys and have no soul. Every time I mention something about why I prefer my F6 you guys get all defensive and attack me. I couldn't care less whats under the bonnet. I chose the best car (for what I was looking for) at the time. I thought this was a Ford forum.... not a V8 forum.
No, it wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular, it wasnt even a negative statement, by "prejudices" i mean personal tastes and opinion...
Your (and everyone's) opinions are welcomed and valued however keep in mind the original post...!

Old 19-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #30
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
No, it wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular, it wasnt even a negative statement, by "prejudices" i mean personal tastes and opinion...
Your (and everyone's) opinions are welcomed and valued however keep in mind the original post...!
OK thanks for clearing that up.... feeling a bit persecuted :