Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Scott

Exclamation Donating Member - Why bother?

After reading another thread today I came across this question:
Quote:
What does a donating member get apart from a warm happy feeling inside?
I think it's a fair question and unfortunately I didn't get the chance to respond to it before the thread was wrapped up.

So, what do I donate? How did I come to decide to donate?

I was using this forum initially as a Guest/Visitor and after a couple of years of lurking now and then I decided to join up so I could ask questions and learn a bit more about my specific queries.

It didn't take long for me to realise that I was getting more out of the forum than I had expected and it became a "go to" place for all things Ford. I was getting invited to Dyno Days, Cruises and the like but I was also getting access to some great deals through sponsors and group buys.

My first purchase as a result of this site saved me about $100.00 and I thought it was reasonable that I kick the tin to help keep the site running at its best so that the benefits I had already gained would be there into the future. Call it helping out, call it recognition of a truly great site, call it feeling warm and happy inside - they are all quite apt.

When deciding at what level I should Donate, I chose Gold as it was $50 and half of what I had saved by consulting the forum for info. Seemed fair, it was a bonus for me so I decided to go halves with forum.

Since then, I have saved plenty. One great example was when I needed plugs for the GT. I had found prices upto $35ea!! I looked on the forum, found the Southside Ford offer of "trade for aff members" and gave them a call. IIRC, I paid $18ea and realistically saved more than $100 in plugs alone. I've been back to SSF several times now when hunting bits and the deal has never changed.

The freedom with which people on this site share information is staggering too, jump into panel & paint and ask a question about prepping your car and qualified tradies and great backyarders will give you accurate info for nothing more than thanks.

Ask a question about your new F6 and the blokes who own the fastest ones in the country will tell you exactly what they did AND what they learned along the way.

Thinking of getting or modding a BOSS? The best in the business will help you at no charge and those who've learned a hard lesson will give you the details. Don't forget the T Series fanatics or the X Series walking encyclopedias or the other bazillion niches that are well served here.

Did I mention the thread showing us how to potentially save $10k on a new Ford??

Since becoming a DM, the access to the extra wealth of information available has saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars by giving me the tools to get back into doing my own work on the cars (along with the afore mentioned discounts from Sponsors).

The amount of Technical Data available in the DM Area is staggering and every time I look at it I wonder just how many hours were put into getting it all in there. My guess is hundreds and hundreds of hours in that one section.

For me, Donating was a "no brainer", this is the best Ford resource in the country and up there with the best in the world. It saves me money, gives me info, and connects me to like minded people.... I'll happily pay for value like that.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Very well said mate, and something every one should pay heed to. As soon as I get the chance to use a proper computer, I will become a donating member. It makes sence and also gives meaning to the phrase "give a little, get a little." although in this case, you get a lot.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Just click on the become a donating member icon and it explains all there

I decided to become a DM very early on, I was not interested in any savings though. I did it to show my appreciation for all the information contained here and recognised early on what a great site this is. However, like most things - money is needed to keep these things running!

Which reminds me I am due to renew my membership
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
GT849

Exellent post and I agree with you 100%, I too have thought about doing the same thing and become a DM. You have just put into clear perspective and helped convince me. Good on you for the positive feed back.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Could not agree more. Well said! I decided to up my DM level this year because it is definitely value for money and a worthy site to show my support to help keep this great site going.

The wealth of information on here, the assistance you get from the site sponsors and members, is second to none.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTP006 that is an awesome post about why to donate to an excellent forum.

My reasons were simply because I used to spend so much time on here and learnt a heap about my car, was inspired with ideas on improving her etc.
Had to donate

Then starting the club this was the obvious choice of where the beginning should be.

This forum is really enjoyable with the information, laughter and friendships that are formed
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I dontated cos I was promised Krispy Cremes ........ still waiting :(

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here here.
I agree with everything that has be said thus far.
Great site great people and the wealth of collective knowledge is awesome.
Becoming a donating member is an easy decision.
At the end of the day we use the forum as our sounding board
so why not help with the costs I say.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
As soon as I get the chance to use a proper computer, I will become a donating member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT849
I too have thought about doing the same thing and become a DM. You have just put into clear perspective and helped convince me.
Good stuff guys, bang for your buck can't be matched.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the attitude the makes a good forum into a GREAT forum....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Just click on the become a donating member icon and it explains all there

I decided to become a DM very early on, I was not interested in any savings though. I did it to show my appreciation for all the information contained here and recognised early on what a great site this is. However, like most things - money is needed to keep these things running!

Which reminds me I am due to renew my membership
I agree with the OP, but also this. I donate because I spend so much time on here, giving and receiving help and hints, ideas etc. For what this site has cost me in mods over the years, the amount I donate is a drop in the ocean, LOL!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'm only a donating member, but its worth the money.....not like its expensive anyway.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Well said GTP006, i think most of us DM's had similar thoughts when giving a little back.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I donated because if this site shut down i would have to go back to talking to my girlfreind at night time.

No seriously its a great site and i agree with everything thats said above and it was a way of giving back
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Well said GTP006.

I don't know why, but there's something about this site that sets it apart from any that I've been a part of. As well as being a great source of info and great deals, I must say some of the nicest blokes I've met are on here too.
/some weirdos too for that matter.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've also found the forum most beneficial in getting the most out of my car, making me aware of potential issues before they actually happen so I could then take the appropriate preventative measures. Such as fitting a separate transmission cooler, various fixes and rust preventions. The car runs perfectly, mostly thanks to AFF.

As I've had around 30 years in the aircraft maintenance field, being a professional engineer and having restored cars, one to outright concours winning condition from boxes of rusted parts, I have therefore believed I could then confidently share my knowledge and experience with others in this forum so they can also then get the best out of their car.

Hence as I felt I also owed the forum more, I also became a donating member. Last renewal I was going to become a Gold Member but that was on the bushfire weekend. So I then felt guilty and instead that money went to the bushfire fund.

And then theres the threads of Flappist with his most profound philosophies. If only he was the Prime Minister. Makes being a Forum member most worthwhile.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
yakabot

Does this rule still stand?
Quote:
Please note that there will be a 90 day active membership limit before eligibility to join the DM ranks although individual cases will be reviewed on their merits.
I actually joined in 2006, but only became active the last week or so, after finally getting a Ford again. (Didn't realise how long between Fords it had been)
Anyway, i'm enjoying the site, and hope I've contributed with topics so far, and happy to become a Donating member.
But should I wait another 80 days or so?
yakabot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Welcome to AFF mate

You would be able to donate now as your join date is Aug 2006
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
yakabot

Done. Now to Pm a Staff member about it, sit back and wait for it to clear, and then bask in all the Glory of being a "Donating Member". _2:
Must find myself an avatar too.
yakabot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakabot
Done. Now to Pm a Staff member about it, sit back and wait for it to clear, and then bask in all the Glory of being a "Donating Member". _2:
Well done mate, money well spent ;)
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM   #21
ED Ford Falcon

i cant find a donating button...?

:S
ED Ford Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #22
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I only donate so I can Vote for "The Very Special One"!

Got to love the AFF Site, why not pop in a few bob to assist the running of the site. You Play, You Pay, I say!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #23
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Ford Falcon

Right in the middle at the top!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #24
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Ford Falcon

Have a read of this page and it will tell all:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/dm.php

Just PM admin (russellw manages it I think??) and they will take you through the process, it's very easy.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #25
ED Ford Falcon

thanks heaps guys...don't realize how i missed the button ever time i logged in lol

ill definately get around to it!!!
ED Ford Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #26
falzoony
Rockin '67

I just made a donation and I do feel a bit warmer inside. I've been coming on this site every day for the past 2 yrs and have learnt alot so it's about time I gave something back.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Have a read of this page and it will tell all:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/dm.php

Just PM admin (russellw manages it I think??) and they will take you through the process, it's very easy.
This information is quite correct therefore I wholly endorse this product and/or service
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #28
JOF062
Mandarin Ghia

quote..The DM forum has more relaxed rules in terms of what can and can't be posted and additional content as an added benefit.
Mmm i like the additional content :voldar02: And feels good to help out.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its not all about take- take - take..
Imo...
People with this attitude won't get anywhere..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #30
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey fellas

He makes a brilliant point, i've been thinking about donating but that seals the deal, just trying to nut out how to pay via CC, any admins help me out on that?

Scotty

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post