Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Dr_Hoon

Default Adelaide Hoon Crash: Vote for Track

Adelaide Now is running a poll linked to the news coverage of the fools who had a massive smash street racing. One of the options is to build a drag strip. Everyone should go over there and vote for a track:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...7-2682,00.html

Zoom and Extreme Performance Production Editor
----
Dr_Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done. Even before I saw this thread!
Old 30-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even though i live in vic i voted to build a track

you guys regularly travel here to vic to race

interesting votes as well

Quote:

Ban them from using powerful cars
23% (462 votes)
Raise licensing age
6% (125 votes)
Send them to jail
7% (153 votes)
Driver ed classes at the morgue
9% (183 votes)
Build a racetrack for them
26% (512 votes)
Seize and destroy their cars
25% (491 votes)
Total votes
Total of 1926 votes
Jason

P.S .....and if they build a track for you guys i will travel over to try it out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A track is a great idea but it wont have any impact on reducing street racing...
The kind of people who enjoy drag racing legally and safely are by and large not really the people who create the street racing problem...
The track will benefit decent drag racers who are currently not racing.
The Tools who street race most likely wont pay the cost to race legally, probably wont/can't present their car is a safe fit state to pass scrutineering and id say just enjoy the "buzz" from braking the law...
Street racing is partly "social" partly "opportunistic" and partly "rebellion", Create rules and control and you take the enjoyment away from most of them.....
The "street racers" will be the critics and hero's sitting in the stands gobbing off and watching a street event then go race their mates on the way home.....

Last edited by 4Vman; 30-03-2009 at 11:30 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
3vXT

^^^ what he said.

I voted anyway though, more drag strips are a good thing regardless.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
more drag strips are a good thing regardless.
To have just one in Adelaide would be nice.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
To have just one in Adelaide would be nice.
Agreed, one decent one that doesn't face the blinding evening sun. If whyalla and the riverland can have drag racing (albeit 1/8 mile) the states capital should have a proper 1/4 mile strip!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Dr_Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A track is a great idea but it wont have any impact on reducing street racing...
The kind of people who enjoy drag racing legally and safely are by and large not really the people who create the street racing problem...
The Tools who street race most likely wont pay the cost to race legally, probably wont/can't present their car is a safe fit state to pass scrutineering and id say just enjoy the "buzz" from braking the law...
Street racing is partly "social" partly "opportunistic" and partly "rebellion", Create rules and control and you take the enjoyment away from most of them.....
The "street racers" will be the critics and hero's sitting in the stands gobbing off and watching a street event then go race their mates on the way home.....
all true but younger enthusiasts need the proper culture surrounding off-street racing to learn there is another way to relate to their cars. A strip is not just a geographical location there is a whole economic and social infrastructure organised around it.
----
Old 30-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hoon
all true but younger enthusiasts need the proper culture surrounding off-street racing to learn there is another way to relate to their cars. A strip is not just a geographical location there is a whole economic and social infrastructure organised around it.
The types of people who participate regularly in street racing normally conduct their "car bonding" in a maccas car park... providing a drag strip won't change that culture.

Old 30-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Dr_Hoon

Quote:
The types of people who participate regularly in street racing normally conduct their "car bonding" in a maccas car park... providing a drag strip won't change that culture.
yes, it won't change the culture, but it will give the people who participate in it an alternative. At the moment SA is restricted to 1/8th mile.
----
Old 30-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

If a track or strip were to be built at least then there is no excuse for street racing. I'm not condoning the act of illegal street drags, but if there was a track, then the laws could be stiffer for people who choose to race on public streets because the government has made the effort and given people a safe venue where they can go to race their cars.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
If a track or strip were to be built at least then there is no excuse for street racing. I'm not condoning the act of illegal street drags, but if there was a track, then the laws could be stiffer for people who choose to race on public streets because the government has made the effort and given people a safe venue where they can go to race their cars.
There is NEVER an excuse for street racing.. NEVER. Track availability is irrelevant and shouldn't be used as an excuse....

Old 30-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Not a valid excuse, but it doesn't stop people trying to justify themselves for what they have done.
Old 30-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not a valid excuse, but it doesn't stop people trying to justify themselves for what they have done.
I wonder how someone would go getting off a manslaughter charge of accidentally shooting someone because there wasn't any rifle ranges around to play at..!

Old 30-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I'm not here trying to convince you. You read what I wrote a drew your own conclusion. Now your to stubborn to see it any other light because your looking for an argument and I'm not going to provide you with one.

You can't say that every person that gets done for a crime will stand up and admit fault with not as much struggle to get off the hook. I'm done, I don't care about this issue anymore.
Old 30-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #16
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

And what did I watch right after reading that article in the Sunday Mail? An ad for Fast and the Furious, with Vin Diesel and the other jerkoff street racing and shooting awesome blue flames due to the NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Bloody ridiculous
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not here trying to convince you. You read what I wrote a drew your own conclusion. Now your to stubborn to see it any other light because your looking for an argument and I'm not going to provide you with one.

You can't say that every person that gets done for a crime will stand up and admit fault with not as much struggle to get off the hook. I'm done, I don't care about this issue anymore.
Not up for an argument at all, just trying to convey the irrational stupidity behind someone trying to reason that their actions, in this particular case street racing, was some kind of uncontrollable impulse or urge due to a lack of secondary release mechanism (availability of a drag strip)...

Old 30-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good track can be a good thing, I bet it'll cut some* of the street racing down.

* Some, meaning not all.

Quote:
I think this sort of incident will always spark debate. There is no argument that this sort of behavior is (apart from criminal) completely stupid in that it puts not only the drivers of the vehicles in question at risk, but the other innocent road users that may be unfortunate enough to get in the way. Let's face it, at 150KPH plus, cars don't stop... they slow down! Which makes the cars involved guided missiles pointed at you, me or anyone else that's unfortunate enough to be in the area. Modified Cars: What's the point? You can't use the power, not legally anyway! How about giving the police the power to defect all modified cars on the spot in the new legislation? Build a racetrack: There is one! Mallala raceway have regular open track days where you can take your car out on the track and drive as hard as you like. It's a controlled environment where there are no innocent bystanders and there are professionals in fire, rescue and medical fields there in case of incident. Clearly for some, the anti hoon laws do not work. I think the laws that are in place for learner and probationary drivers in New Zeland are fantastic! Probationary drivers can't have passengers after dark unless they're fully licenced. Since these laws were introduced, their youth accident rate has reduced dramatically. I am also a fan of the idea of an engine capacity restriction with no turbo. supercharged options to drivers under 25. There are so many options and there will always be debate, just as there will always be people who ignore the law because they know better or "it won't happen to me". I can't feel sorry for those involved as it was of their own doing, but I do wish the families and friends all the best for their own recovery from this tragic incident.

Posted by: Phil of Redwood Park 5:01pm today
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 30-03-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Streetracing will never go away...It started with horses 100's of years ago...

For some, racing and hooning is more then just an act of stupidity, rather its an addiction (not trying to sound like F&F dialouge), much like drug and alcohol abuse. Or any other form of addiction. They can see the harm in it, and try to justify it and do it regardless of negative outcomes.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #20
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

racetrack option sounds great, but even with it built i still don't reckon street racing will go away

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
I agree with you 4Vman.

The majority of street racer's would not use a legal facility as it takes the fun out of it.

That's why they do it. They know it's illegal, + they are ****head's.

The genuine racer's would leave the track happy that they have had a good night. The other's would still be in race mode upon leaving the track.

That's my 2c worth.

Adam.
Old 30-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just give us a track/strip FFS and end this discussion.
and make it affordable and open to use for off street drags, not like B.jane/AIR on again/off again bullcrap.
It always starts with one young lad arks up or taunts another then it is on, two young sons affected one dead, one missing a foot.

Why doesnt the SA GoVT throw some cash in the ring rather than keep on taking it.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #23
TopGunT3
Monsoon Blue

No - a track will not solve the problem, but if the Govt provided it, it would show that they are trying to be proactive rather than reactive with laws etc.

Maybe police could also get on board "Blue Light Drags"???

At least then they could really throw the book at the street racer idiots and crush their cars!

Costs would have to be attractive to get the hoons on the track - what about insurance???

T3 TS50 5.6L Stroker, build no. 015
Herrod enhancements; Pacemaker headers; CSC Brake upgrade; Sunroof; Premium Sound; Tint. (and..towbar - now gone!)

Daily - 88 KE Laser TX3 Turbo. Blow off valve, turbo timer, 17' genuine Simmons, Koni's, stabilisers. 6 speaker audio system etc. (...what crisis?)
TopGunT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #24
Dr_Hoon

Running totals atm

Ban them from using powerful cars 25% (1196 votes)
Raise licensing age 4% (224 votes)
Send them to jail 6% (289 votes)
Driver ed classes at the morgue 10% (510 votes)
Build a racetrack for them 30% (1451 votes)
Seize and destroy their cars 22% (1096 votes)
Total votes Total of 4766 votes
----
Old 31-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem all boils down to attitude.
IF you can provide people with a controlled area to play AND instruct them to play nicely you may make some inroads - but you are not going to remove the problem completely.

Bans are a waste of time - pretty obvious as they don't keep within the existing road rules...
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
AUIIForte

Just looked at the update on the pole. The votes for a drag way are looking very nice!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #27
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
where do you come up with this ?

you know what they say, assumption is the mother of all f**kups.
Old 31-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Evidence suggests when WSID was built it dramatically cut down illegal street racing in the area.
Old 31-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #29
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

A track would be a good idea, it cant hurt to try. While you wont get all the idiots away from street racing, i think you will get some....

Its like the road toll, you will NEVER get zero but you gotta keep trying....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #30
james22
With da Warlords

Ban them from using powerful cars 24% (1249 votes

Raise licensing age 4% (241 votes)

Send them to jail 5% (300 votes)

Driver ed classes at the morgue 10% (519 votes)

Build a racetrack for them 33% (1712 votes)

Seize and destroy their cars 22% (1158 votes)

Total of 5179 votes

Looking promising. Not that I think anything will come from their poll anyway

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post