Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Default XR5 Springs in and working!

Okay so in went the XR5 springs.

Cost:-
$195 (fitting and wheel alignment)
Geez, I had quotes from $530 (no bull!) down to $140 and I was supplying the springs!!

Result:-
Driving normal traffic pace - very little difference felt.
But when pushed . . . holy carpola do these things make a difference.
Much flatter through the corners and a flatter under brakes.

Summary:-
Very cheap mod (thanks Noetzy) for a good outcome.
Maybe 30mm lower . . . but I wanted function before form.

Next - Exhaust me thinks.

Mullett are you still keen to look at air filter piping?

Fredo

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
HM Headers
PERFORMANCE&QUALITY

Good Work Fredo,

Do you have any pics as yet ?

67 – 75 Wedgewood Road
Hallam 3803
Victoria

Phone 03 9796 3366
Fax 03 9796 3444

benc@hmheaders.com.au

www.hmheaders.com.au
HM Headers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Lanyi

Yes, good work.

I did this mod to my car a while back and I was very pleased with the results. Only difference here is that i fitted them myself (so cheaper still if you can do such an install). As for value for money.... its on my list.
Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Mullett
Badly Focused

Sure am mate, I got back a couple of nights ago, I'm going to build the exhaust this weekend *watch this space :P*

Air intake, I think the easiest and neatest thing to do is to use a 120deg silicon bend from the TB, which will give close to a vertical downpipe, from there a section of steel tubing with a mandrel 90deg bend, placing the filter in front of the left front wheel. I anticipate the cost to be around $80, depending on the cost of the silicon bend, and the number of people who are interested. I can also organise a group buy on K+N filters, or some other brand, I'm hoping to make an initial batch of at least 10 of these intake kits.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Headers
Good Work Fredo,

Do you have any pics as yet ?

G'day Cam,
I thought about pics mate but there isn't much to show because I didn't do the fitting...
Even the springs looked very much alike on the table but the difference comes when they go to work so again nothing I can show you.
Cheers

Fredo
:

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Mullett, will your mandrel bend sections have a hole drilled for attachment of the breather tube?

Or will this be connected to a catch can?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I was wondering about this. Would it be possible to attach it to an oil breather and clamp it onto something?

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Lanyi

This is something I have been wondering about too. Ever since I saw some pod filter installs here, I have been wondering what people have done with the breather tube. As I know, it is there to supply ambient air to regulate the presure within the crankcase itself. So the question is, where has the breather tube gone in a CAI set-ups?

As for attaching it to a catch, I dont see why not. Might just have to change the plastic tubing to something else - but what is the advantage of doing this?

Mullet - I am going to say that I am interested in what you are fabiricating, looking forward to a prototype or finished product to have look at.

Last edited by Lanyi; 27-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Lanyi - thats right, it does help to regulate pressure in the engine. In the K&N set up, the intake tube has an adaptor for the breather hose. It includes all breather hose / vent adaptors.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
Mullett
Badly Focused

I have been looking at it, and at the end of the day it will be a cost exercise. Here's the breakdown so far:

Intake tube (3 inch, 2 bends, positioning the filter in front of the passenger front wheel). Materials, bending and powdercoating in mild steel: $80ea

Same as above, but aluminium and anodised: $100

Breather attachment point (welded) add $10 each for mild steel, $20 for aluminium.

Silicon joint for the TB connection, $10.

Personally, I favour the mild steel option. It's a material that bends easier, is more durable, and it will be easier for me to fabricate mounting brackets for it. The weight difference is also negligible in this wall thickness and length, and powdercoating is very durable.

Total cost for the kit, including welded mounting point, bolts, silicon joint and oil breather attachment, $95-110. Of course, that price is assuming that we can get 10 people together to order this, if I had to make it as a one-off it would be about $250+ each. I'm happy to let everyone make their own decision as to what filter they prefer, or I can buy a batch of K+N filters at trade, depending on preference.

I haven't dummied it up yet, I've been building an exhaust for my car this weekend I might get onto it in the next couple of days, depending on how fundage goes.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I'm in mate for that price. Tee it up and I'll transfer the funds. I'm sure a heap of people on here would be in on it too for that price.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #12
elgreko

Does any one know how wide the current XR5 rims are? Just bought a set of XR5 rim copies on eBay, but when fitted there is only a 10mm gap from suspension arm. Is that too close?? These rims are 8" wide!!
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post