Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
fernsantos

Default Pedders 28 point suspension safety check $2300 quote

Took my au2 i6 Fairmont ghia to pedders today for a 28 point suspension safety check.
Got a quote of $2300 to fix the problems they found.
Any advise and solutions on the issues they mention will be much appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedders3.JPG (83.5 KB, 486 views)
Old 18-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

$1132 seems excessive for upper and lower bushes, even if it does include a rack. The rack in mine was $250 for a reco'd one and another $100 for an install.

Go elsewhere, they seem to be trying to rip you off and I don't like the amount of "needs further inspection" comments they have put in. I thought the safety check was an inspection, sounds like they want to get the car in for some work and then say "oh this is too dangerous, we have to fix this now for xxx amount".
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 18-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Ouch..

i'd be getting a second opinion

Click Here
Old 18-11-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Agree with above comments... go else where! i replaced 98% of all the bushes in my car... cost around $3000 in parts alone...
Old 18-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Agree with above comments... go else where! i replaced 98% of all the bushes in my car... cost around $3000 in parts alone...
Can you be more sepcific with the above please ?
The cost above is bushings only ? Ford OE or Mackay rubber brand or Urethane ? did you fit ?

As for the Pedders quote yer sure you can get a cheaper job, I do know their steering racks are the best in the aftermarket so they are pricy, the rest well control arm bush's nowadays are exchange arms, unbolt bolton easy job.
Shocks they have marked as replacement which type are incl in the quote ?
They have larger over heads compared to the usual local mechanic, marketing etcetc but you get a National Warranty good if you travel other than that ask for a better price from them after you have compared some other quotes from others then you can weigh things up.
Footnote there's a scam in every quote from any fitter imo LOL....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 18-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ive had two done, a few months apart, first one was $2500, the other around $1400, and I didnt replace a thing. Both done at the same Pedders as well. Its all a scam. You will get a letter ina few weeks saying they will take 10% off if you do these things immediately as they are worried for your safety, lol.
Check it yourself. If it clunks, or wobbles, you need a new one. If its leaking, you need a new one. Then check here, Ebay, and Ford (they SOMETIMES have better prices then ebay) and either fix it yourself, or ask around here for someone to help you fix it. Youll save yourself a mint.
Old 18-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Can you be more sepcific with the above please ?
The cost above is bushings only ? Ford OE or Mackay rubber brand or Urethane ? did you fit ?
Its all Urethane now... we (father and I... mainly father) did all the fitting and made custom pressing tools as we went...

I have a funny feeling that some of that rough qoute was for engine parts too... like spark plugs, leads, filters etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Check it yourself. If it clunks, or wobbles, you need a new one. If its leaking, you need a new one. Then check here, Ebay, and Ford (they SOMETIMES have better prices then ebay) and either fix it yourself, or ask around here for someone to help you fix it. Youll save yourself a mint.
Thats the only way i can afford to do anything with cars... do it myself or dont do it at all :P
Old 18-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

I don't know anything about AU's. I did work for the company who madethe racks for the EA-ED falcons and I know a bit about them. If the movement is slight you should be able to adjust it out.

I can get a camber kit and all bushes for my NL for about $650 on ebay or locally. Ok then you got to fit them but the price difference is huge. I can get tyres for $70 each that work ok for me. EL falcon front and rear shocks are about $270. So I could do a complete refit for $1300 plus labour. That would be everything. AU: YMMV.2c
Old 18-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Yeah on ebay you can get a full nolathane performance kit for $595 covering all the joints mentioned.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-AU-NOLAT...3286.m20.l1116
Old 18-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the part of that quote
requires further inspection

you take the car to them for a safety inspection and what the write a quote with out inspecting it all properly and want to do anouther ?

oh and yep go for anouther quote somwhere else

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 18-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
EvilChief
Boost Addict

if thyey are talking about the upper and lower control arm inn front and rear bushes, they are steel case press in bush from factory, they replacement is nolothane replacement. the actual bush kit is not that expensive, but upper and lower control arms have to be completely removed from the vehicle and pressed out, which is a PITA. each side will prolly take around 1.5 to 2h. if on top then go the outer ball joints (not sure on their price), they again need to pressed out and pressedback in.

now having said all of that, for those bushes to flog out takes a while (a long while), even when movement is detected, they will not fall out, but tyre wear will increase significantly, and may cause front end noises. (again wear, persishing and splitting of bushes should be classified correctly. minor wear does not really warrant immediate replacement, perishing also does not warrant imediate replacement, however when bushes are splitting and you have major movement within the seats, replacement is def warranted.

steering gear: "slight movement" < wtf is moving?is it internal freeplay? rack end freeplay?tie rod end free play? tie rods and rack ends can be replaced in the car, if the rack is not internally leaking anyway (then a replacement is warranted). the steering rack itself can be adjusted as well to compensate for internal freeplay (not very commonly done these days, i did it to my old steering rack on the bommadore to get a few extra miles out of it).

ignore the bump stops until it comes to RWC or you need/want to do shocks (ie shorters ones for lowered suspension or u drive a boat).

shocks: "soft" ... mhm ok are they leaking too?

front swaybar: "d & link bushes worn" < ignore unless excessive freeplay is noted, front end noises are noted or bushes are splitting and falling out

tyres wear on inner edge, a wheel alignment s probably not the worst of all ideas.

IMO, they have given you a quote to get ur car back to perfect, however the question u should ask is, which is neccessary to be done, because it is dangerous.
so a better classification of worn and movement would be nice

now that is my 2c, at work we classify suspension wear quite accurately and make recommendatiosn on which components that need replacing and not just do all
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
Old 18-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
SVR73
Mr Polish

Sounds similar to what happened to me when I went to my local Pedders for a safety check

They said the rack was leaking, rear ball joints needing replacing, rear bushes to be replaced and something else
Total price was $1500

I went to three mechanics, two of whom I still trust to this day and they said all bar the rack were absolutely fine
So I contacted the SA/NT Pedders manager. Got me to come to the Pt Adelaide franchisee and he will check it out (they were good)

All bar the rack were fine according to him and he went on the warpath and gave the (won't name which shop) staff and manager there a damn good talking too
Don't know if he fired them or not but I haven't been to Pedders since

They seem overpriced and at one stage the manager of the shop I went too was on commission so he wanted plenty of work and sales and would tell people things were wrong with their cars just to get money in his pocket
Old 18-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

From my experience with pedders (which hasn't been good) they always have shocks written up, my car has brand new genuine ford shocks, and they told me i need shocks.

On the good side with them they quoted my $15 per side to press in and out ball joints, if i took the arms out and brought them down, full set of balljoints you can buy from bayfords for $110 off them thru ebay. They wanted $70 per side if brought the car in not including balljoint.

My rear wheelbearing was a perfect example of pedders safety check, i had a weird movement in the rear of car, i took it to them, they checked it, found shocks (the new ones), and did a 4 wheel alignment, i left car's the same, 1 week later i took it back again, and they checked over, adjusted alignment different, and what do you know car was the same. In the end i put the car up on the hoist at brothers workshop and i could move the rear wheel approx 1 inch at the top of tyre in and out, cause of a completely stuff rear wheel bearing that they never picked up on.

Really the safety check is just a money maker for them, to say you need this and that and then you take their word for it.

Get the 2nd opinion.
Old 18-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsantos
Took my au2 i6 Fairmont ghia to pedders today for a 28 point suspension safety check.
Got a quote of $2300 to fix the problems they found.
Any advise and solutions on the issues they mention will be much appreciated.
A good steering guy will get things into line without a kit normally there is enough adjustment to do so , I have run several fords VERY low and never a kit , ebay the parts and even with labour will run way under a grand... if the stuff is worn at all ( in other words take it else where )
I had them look at one of the jags and the claims were 5k for suspension , it is a fill restoration including a new steering system with 3k on it and like new...
get other opinions
Old 18-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Pedders.. hmm they told me my new lovell rear spring bushes were no good and that my main power steering hose was leaking because it was faulty..

The hose had nothing wrong it was the 1 dollar o ring which seals at the pump. I was quoted around 180 just for the hose. I had the front fully done with new steering rack and urethane bushes,ball joints,tie rods etc etc. The rack is good but I find their safety check is their bank balance safety check...not necessarily what needs to be fixed. My car still handles like a bumpy bus and jumps like a kangaroo

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 18-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Safety check

Hi all I have got some rattles and knocking noises in the front and back so
I took my AU Fairmont to Fulcrum suspension for a free check and when I picked it up they said the whole front end was stuffed and it would cost me $2k plus to fix it up no quote just telling me what to do
any way a second opinion was sought and guess what sway bar rubbers a new rack and watts linkage rubbers Its not completely fixed it yet but it is a hell of a lot less than 2 grand
pays to shop around I still have to find a rack
thanks John
Old 18-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
T3man
Banned

Pedders are a franchise - so there may be some good ones around. However I know personally of only ONE. I have heard of others, but I think they are like the Abominable Snowman.

There is a well documented history of the scams that the Pedders "ownership" have committed over the years - an ex-employee did a real burn on them. Search the net and you'll no doubt be able to turn up the "letter". It seems that they actively promoted their franchise-ees to run scams like this to keep their sales figures to the "miminum" that was required in order to be a "Pedders" outlet. The mark-ups on most of their items was in the order of 400% or more.

Get a second opinion for sure.
Old 19-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #18
Foggy

There safety checks are a joke. Had 1 done on an ED wagon with about 45000ks on it and the quote for repairs at peddarswas over $2k. went to a suspension place $300 for a castor camber kit and a totally differnt car to drive with no problems.
Old 19-11-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
DougM

I have used the local pedders in Liverpool for over 10 years now and they have been excellent.....Even on my classic cars (MK1 Cortina,RS2000) where I supplied the parts they were more then happy to install them(at good rates) and were very helpfull with set up......Both cars had adjustable suspension......I guess that service also comes around with repeat business....Even my Focus, I supplied some parts they didn't carry which they fitted no problem when they lowered it for me.....I always go back to them....
Old 19-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
NYTEYZ

My boss just bought a VE SSV (I know, It's holden, i tried to turn him the XR8) he took it to Pedders to get lower springs put on it, when he picked it up they told him they had done a 'complementary' safety check and that he needed to do over $2500 worth of suspention work as it was 'unsafe'. Mind you the car had 10km on it (showroom to pedders) What a joke!!
Old 19-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #21
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTEYZ
My boss just bought a VE SSV (I know, It's holden, i tried to turn him the XR8) he took it to Pedders to get lower springs put on it, when he picked it up they told him they had done a 'complementary' safety check and that he needed to do over $2500 worth of suspention work as it was 'unsafe'. Mind you the car had 10km on it (showroom to pedders) What a joke!!
LMAO! Typical Holden! LMAO!
Old 19-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Pedders for my work, I find the products good and the service fantastic. I have never ever been ripped off.
Old 19-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there have been threads on here before about the pricing practices of pedders . they offer this "cheap safety check to rip you off

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 24-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #24
Pedders Bendigo
Suspension Expert

Hi
I am Grant owner of Pedders Bendigo i see by the amount of comments on this forum about this particular car & check we have people both ways on comments as for the one explaining about the size of the job he is quite right in his explanation that they are a decent job to do and need the right equipment to do them.
As for being urethane bushes only we do have metalstic style press in rubber bushes and i know at this store it takes well over a 1 1/2 hours to do the arms but we do offer the customers in our area change over arms if they wish to do the job themselves to help make the job easier.
As for the job sheet they have filled out it could have probably had more info on it to explain it all better but that is done on what the owner of each store thinks is the right way to do it.
I know i make my staff here fill it all out and itemise all parts needed to do the job and cost them out for each to do and do a all up cost to give all the options or just list a parts cost for some depending on the customers wants.
I hope this helps to explain some of what you got in the check any questions feel free to give us a call or send a e-mail to us.
Old 24-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good onya Grant and welcome.

What are your contact details.
Old 24-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM
I have used the local pedders in Liverpool for over 10 years now and they have been excellent.....Even on my classic cars (MK1 Cortina,RS2000) where I supplied the parts they were more then happy to install them(at good rates) and were very helpfull with set up......Both cars had adjustable suspension......I guess that service also comes around with repeat business....Even my Focus, I supplied some parts they didn't carry which they fitted no problem when they lowered it for me.....I always go back to them....

Liverpool in NSW you mean?...If so, then i agree they are great...However the stories I've read in this thread are enough to put me off Pedders for life....Some good Dept of Fair Trading situations here I would have thought
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 24-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm sure he means Claude owner of Liverpool Pedders. Good man and does the correct job.
ozmale42 much like any franchise business unfortunately there's some that tarnish the name and the reputations of fellow owners who have the best intentions and work their butts off.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 25-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
Pedders Bendigo
Suspension Expert

Guys don't get put off a certaim product because of what you hear all brands have good & bad apples in them us included what you need to do is deal with the good and yes Claude @ Liverpool does a great job and has pride in his store & the brand as i do.

13 Phillips Drive, Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 3555
Tel: +613 5447 0009 Fax: +613 5447 2229
Email: bendigo@pedders.com.au

Multi Award Winning store Top Regional 03, 04, 06, 07.08,09,10 : Top Store 2005 & 2008 & 2010.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I took my car in for the "free " suspension check. They showed me all the faults in my suspension (nolathane again!!) They gave me a quote, of which I was horrified!!! Then invited me to shop around & beat it. Guess what, they were the cheapest!! Pedders get my business eveytime. I went to 2 other suspension shops, who were down right rude in their attitude to Pedders, but found the same faults, & could not match Pedders price.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #30
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I use Pedders for my work, I find the products good and the service fantastic. I have never ever been ripped off.
Yeah we used them a couple of years ago and always found the best for trade prices, I found the products tops also.