Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
xr4racer

Default De-activated ABS hazard

Just for info - the XR4 (or any ABS equipped Fiesta) does not have pressure limiters fitted in the rear brake lines . This is because brake bias (front to rear) is left to the ABS to sort out rather than having balanced basic brake design. If the ABS were to be de-activated for any reason (even a blown fuse) the brake system will have far too much rear bias. This causes rear wheel lockup and the car will spin if you apply the brakes hard.

Mike
www.ttcracing.com

xr4racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

is that cos of that ebd?
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the rear bias is left to the ABS module to control wouldn't you feel it through the pedal all the time? I've done plenty of hard stops in mine and never feel the pedal pulsing to control the rear brakes.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
xr4racer

no. front and rear brakes are controlled in exactly the same way and EBD is really just the PCM adding overrides so that the system can work side to side in circumstances like having 2 wheels in the dirt and 2 on bitumen.

The the brake circuits are connected diagonally front and rear. This is so that in the event of hydraulic failure at least 1 front wheel still has braking. The theory behind this is that FWD hatches have so much front weight bias that if only the rear brakes worked you would take forever to pull up.

The pulsing that ABS systems you to give has been eliminated in current, high quality systems by using faster PCMs (more computing power).

Mike
www.ttcracing.com
Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

If your ABS is fault your shouldn't be braking hard. Im face is your have any sort of warning you should be driving carefully
Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Adsy01

Piotr, i think Mike is maybe telling us he learnt the hard way while on a race track?

While we’re on the subject, does anyone actually feel the ABS pulsing on their fez's?

I've had several emergency stops in mine and I can’t feel anything through the brake pedal... on the same note, I’m unable to lock the wheels, so it is working lol

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

i can feel mine alot and it makes a terrible thumping noise and i think ive said it bbefore on here somewhere if your over 110km/h and you slam the brakes on the hazzards start flashing automatically. im still intrigued (small things amuse small minds)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can over ride that hazzard feature in your settings menu. Its annoying.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
xr4racer

Thats a good party trick !
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
xr4racer

Yes. Learnt on racetrack. Just giving everyone a warning that if the ABS warning light comes on, you should drive carefully until it is fixed because the standard brake bias is quite unbalanced on the Fiesta.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the heads up; there was only one time where I felt the brake pedal shudder after braking hard from 80km (slamming the brakes). Would it have been that>?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
xr4racer

The ABS unit has a small 'accumulator' built into it and when the computer senses a lockup a solenoid opens and bleeds off some fluid into it to reduce the hydraulic pressure that is locking the brake. If the wheel unlocks and you dont just keep pushing the pedal harder the fluid will be released from the accumulator back into the brake line without you feeling any shudder.

If you just keep pushing the pedal harder, the accumulator gets too full and the excess pressure must be fed back to the Master Cylinder (the bit that the pedal pushes). This is the shudder you feel in the pedal.

I am sorry, but if this is happening to you, then your brake application is very unskilled and you would probably have an accident or at least a very severe brake lockup in a non-ABS equipped vehicle. Practice your braking in a non-ABS vehicle to become a better driver. Wind down the drivers window and you can hear the tyres growling (not squealing) when you achieve maximum braking effort, a little bit more pressure will lock the wheels. Learn to do this well, then add ABS and you willbe very competent at stopping your car.
Old 13-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

That is incorrect. If you are making an emergency stop and you feel the brake pedal pulsing the worst thing you can do is reduce brake pressure. Keep the same force or apply more to the pedal. In an emergency let the ABS do its job because it will do it a million time better than anyone.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
xr4racer

Piotr,

re-read the post! nowhere have i said that you should reduce pedal pressure if you feel it pulsing due to abs.

Also, a skilled driver can outbrake ABS in many, but not all, situations . It just takes practice.

A driver that gets used to just mashing an ABS pedal to the floor is unskilled and a liability in a non-abs vehicle.
Old 14-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr4racer
Piotr,

re-read the post! nowhere have i said that you should reduce pedal pressure if you feel it pulsing due to abs.

Also, a skilled driver can outbrake ABS in many, but not all, situations . It just takes practice.

A driver that gets used to just mashing an ABS pedal to the floor is unskilled and a liability in a non-abs vehicle.
ABS is not designed to reduce braking distance
Old 14-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

Does the ABS on the fiesta lx 5 door work on the back wheels?
or does it not cos of the drum brakes?
Old 14-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
xr4racer

Yes it does.