Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Default Chrysler's new range of electric cars

So I just read Chrysler US are releasing a whole range of electric cars.

A couple caught my eye

More HERE

Old 24-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
WPN XR6T
Useless

Said it once, and will say it again, electric cars are not a viable option outside of major western cities. Good that they are availible for these locations, but will never EVER be a viable option as a replacement for fossel fuel cars.

Ever.

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that dodge looks funky (crap sorta way) - lotus elise crossed with B series XR headlights and Cobra stripe package and ferrari style coupe :P

i dont know what people are thinking to make those STUPID bubble cars... WHY?!?!?!?
and you expect people to buy them, id rather push the falcon

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
Said it once, and will say it again, electric cars are not a viable option outside of major western cities. Good that they are availible for these locations, but will never EVER be a viable option as a replacement for fossel fuel cars.

Ever.
What about when there is so little of fossil fuel that oil is $300-500 a barrel? And when battery technology gives you fast charging and a 800km range?

And remember, currently, wherever there is petrol or diesel for sale, there is also electricity going to those premises. Each premise in the outback could be self-sustaining on solar power too. So, if anything, it will be more viable in the future.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they put some grooves in the centre of the lanes they could be big slot cars.

already have overhead wires for the trams
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
WPN XR6T
Useless

That is alright, if you have electricty in the first place. Australia is a very privilaged country, and to date, it is the only country that I have been to that enjoys the wide spread availibility of electricty that we do.

Some western countries don't even have the wide spread power grids we take for granted. The relience on the internal combustion engine by 2nd and 3rd world countries is staggering, as is the lack of basic utilities like power.

I am all for this technology in metro areas, but anything outside of that you are dreaming. I understand that this technology needs to be developed, however hybrid and fuel cell technology are inefficent and cost prohibitive, and is battery cell technology a viable replacement for the internal combustion engine? I think not.

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
rocket67

Thumbs up Chrysler - On the ball!

Well done to Chrysler!

The entire world needs to concentrate on this technology to develop cost effective alternatives to petrol powered cars.

From memory - Exxon/Mobil made a staggering 12 Billion dollar profit in the last quarter. This is obscene! You and i are the mugs paying them!
$500 per barrel oil IS on the way.

I have personally felt the downturn in business when petrol recently went to $1.68 per litre. These greedy SOB`s are bringing world economies down!

You can push your Falcons to work if you like, but i will happily cruise past you driving an electric bubble car.

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Oil is back under $100 a barrel, as investors start to get back out of commodoties in favour of more traditional investments. The electric cars developed by Chrysler should make mass production, and the more of them the less OPEC will try to rip people off on the price of oil. Exxon/Mobil etc are dispicable, and they will also be loathing these new cars being popular for the potential loss of sales so lets hope they take off. Hopefully the threat of diminished sales may see these oil giants stop gouging motorists.

Quote: