Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default XR8 intake

Taking the XR8 down the strip next week to see what it will do standard. After that was planning on doing a couple of mods. Nothing too major but 13s unopened is the goal.

Now the question is about intake. I've seen aftermarket intake boxes and other people talking about modifying the standard air box with a second entry. Has anyone had any definite gains doing either of these or is the standard snorkel with panel filter good enough? Any dyno results?

The car will have an exhaust and tune done at some stage.

Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

I would think a KnN panel with a larger more decent intake pipe would pretty much do the job.

Allthough if you want to pod inside an air box, you will get a mad induction noise from it!

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

you can cut a big hole in the front of your airbox lol.

in terms of gains you may pick up a little more responsiveness, a bit more induction noise. and potentially a whole ONE kilowatt when you stick a high-flow filter in there like a K&N.

horses for courses.

or you could spend some bucks and pick up a G&D/Bluepower intake and get some real gains from it!
Old 24-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
brad`
The Monty

talking about blue power intakes, what does it consit off ? from diffrent pic i relaised that the box is closer to the headlight and moulded/mounted there but what else is changed ?

and what type of gain and price we talking ?

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think G&D and bluepower are around the $750 mark, i may be wrong though
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
i think G&D and bluepower are around the $750 mark, i may be wrong though
Mine was $645 fitted (G&D) and I picked up around 20rwkw with that and a tune.

You are going to need a fair bit of work done to get into the 13's with an auto. Start thinking heads, intake, full exhaust and a few other goodies.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

I think your goals of 13's with an unopened 220kw engine are definately achievable.
As far as intake goes, your std snorkle will be fine, a K&N panel filter will be fine, i'd cut a nice big hole in the front of the lower airbox (i done this mod to mine and couldnt believe the difference, this was after my engine work though so it really needed it), de-rib the upper airbox and get a nice s/steel or aluminium 3" intake pipe made between T/B and MAF with silicone/rubber joiners at each end. You may also want to add a 3/8" manifold spacer too. Apart from porting your explorer or going to a larger MAF thats about all you can do to your intake. For the price of the G&D?Bluepower airboxes i honestly dont thing they are worth it. If you can find a cheaper second hand one or make your own then that would definately be worth it.
Have you got a decent exhaust system on it?
If not, look at some Pacemaker Tri-Y's or 4into1's depending, some decent metal cats and mandrel bent twin 2 1/4" or twin 2 1/2"(max) exhaust with name brad mufflers.

Once those bits are done i'd be looking towards a set of 3.9 diff gears and a 2600-2800 stall convertor. That should see you into the 13's without a doubt. Then there is always a set of drag radials (MT ET streets or Hoosier DOT's) to help you out.

Jeff
XH5LWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN
I think your goals of 13's with an unopened 220kw engine are definately achievable.
As far as intake goes, your std snorkle will be fine, a K&N panel filter will be fine, i'd cut a nice big hole in the front of the lower airbox (i done this mod to mine and couldnt believe the difference, this was after my engine work though so it really needed it), de-rib the upper airbox and get a nice s/steel or aluminium 3" intake pipe made between T/B and MAF with silicone/rubber joiners at each end. You may also want to add a 3/8" manifold spacer too. Apart from porting your explorer or going to a larger MAF thats about all you can do to your intake. For the price of the G&D?Bluepower airboxes i honestly dont thing they are worth it. If you can find a cheaper second hand one or make your own then that would definately be worth it.
Have you got a decent exhaust system on it?
If not, look at some Pacemaker Tri-Y's or 4into1's depending, some decent metal cats and mandrel bent twin 2 1/4" or twin 2 1/2"(max) exhaust with name brad mufflers.

Once those bits are done i'd be looking towards a set of 3.9 diff gears and a 2600-2800 stall convertor. That should see you into the 13's without a doubt. Then there is always a set of drag radials (MT ET streets or Hoosier DOT's) to help you out.

Jeff
Yeh I dont think I would even consider an aftermarket airbox for that price. Custom box it is.
Exhaust, intake and tune will be first up and then i'll see what I have to do from there.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

13s can be done but as far as a CAI and all the bolt on mods that you do to the 5lt. the computer will have to learn first this can take up to 100 to 200 ks mine ran back to back on the dyno before and after then 1 week later in picked up nearly 12rwk over that time with no further mods At the time this was all new stuff to the AUs and started a bun fight about this and that.. 3 weeks later I ran a 13.7 with nothing more than a unichip and CAI 2 years on it still runs 13s consistantly
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...3&highlight=AU
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=whoosha+13.7
There's the old threads from then ..makes funny reading now lot of water under the bridge since then :
and yes a hole in the front of the box plumbed with some tubing to fresh air and a K&N pod will give some gains
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post