Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
ausjosh
Starter Motor

Default Attempted stereo install - 2006 ford focus Zetec

So the installation of the stereo was successful as the stereo works. However in doing so I have managed to lose some things which with my limited knowledge of auto electrics on newer models have confused me. A little help with the following would be appreciated.

1. The indicators work but the green arrows do not display on the instrument cluster and I cannot heard a relay clicking?

2. The airbag, engine, handbrake and seatbelt warning lights are permanently illuminated?

3. The outside temp etc in the command centre are not displaying a value just ---.

Hopefully someone can help me so I do not have to pour over the wiring diagrams or worse still, admit defeat and have a professional sort it out for me and look like a goose. At least with a forum I can remain a somewhat anonymous goose.

ausjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

oh 5h1t...

I can't help, but good luck.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
MW_WA
Starter Motor

I have nothing substantial to add except this longshot - have you checked all your fuses?
Old 20-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

What plugs did you undo to get the old stereo out. Is it possible you left one unplugged?
redxm is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Rollake70

you've done a fuse somewhere along the line. same thing happened to me when i did my install

good luck, the fuse box is a to get back in its original position!
Rollake70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
ausjosh
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

I have checked the fuses and had managed to blow two, however after replacing, there was no difference to the current fault. There were quite a few wires left over, all 6V (mainly) which leads me to believe they completed the circuit for the missing bits. I guess the only thing to do is check out the wiring diagrams for the 2005 model (in lieu of the 2006) posted on this site as they look similar, if nothing else it may give me a few clues.

Still open to suggestions.

Thanks for the input so far!

I was just using a test light, I have my meter now so I can investigate a bit further.
Old 20-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Rollake70

i didnt use any wiring diagrams for the simple fact that if theyre are innacurate in any way, it doesent provide much help if you fry something.

i cant reccomend checking it all with a multimeter highly enough.
Rollake70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
MW_WA
Starter Motor

The wires you have left over aren't necessarily for the missing stuff, so keep an open mind at this stage.
You may have just (1) connected something incorrectly, or (2) left a live wire exposed near some metal, either of which could cause a fuse to blow. That fuse may be used for several other circuits, such as the ones you're also missing.

(That's just general advice ... I know nothing about car electrics, but a fair bit about general control circuits)
Old 21-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

a few different things on your car might run on the same circuit, so by perhaps one incorrect wire somewhere might cause a few things not to work.

also, i know you said that you checked your fuses and replaced some....but if the problem is still there....check the box again. if there is a fault, the fuse will blow again and give you some indication as to what is making it blow.

anthony
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I had the problem with the ABS, engine light, etc, lighting up. It turned out to be the accessory to cluster fuse. Can't remember exactly where it was in the fusebox, or what amperage, but as soon as I replaced it, everything worked again. Admittedly, mine wasn't at the HU, was connecting lights to the amp power & ground, but hope that helps! Just make sure all the wires behind the HU are soldered and taped individually. That's all I can suggest.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
ausjosh
Starter Motor

I will take all this info on board and let you know the outcome.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
chrisearl88
Starter Motor

Hi all, new the the forums! Did anyone ever work out the solution to the warning lights after stereo install issue. I had just had the exact same problem. Ive about 4 or 5 installs before and im sure im not doing anything completely stupid. I had checked all the fuses ect and done a diagnostic test and got a DTC code of #01 D900. Have tried to do a reset by d/c the battery for 10 mins but this hasnt cleared the lights. Does anyone know of any other way to clear the lights?

Any input would be great.
Cheers
Chris
chrisearl88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
20focus05
I wanna XR5

mmm Thinking of doing stereo change over soon, the original one not working as well as it used to.
would like to know the out come of this problem too so I know what to be careful of.
CAN bus wiring looks like a challenge.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are cutting wires? Surely there are a tonne of adaptor looms out there to suit your systems? Even CAN bus adaptor looms.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...ford/focus.htm

These guys are UK, but prices are OK, and they'll post in R.M. Small packets (cheap as) if you ask them to.
Old 13-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

leakey i was about to say the same thing..

check out my post here.. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=44

this is the adapter I used.. not cutting any wires at all, the aftermarket head unit is no longer in the car so I was able to plug everythin back in to the way it was.. now stock again!
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Shweet guys thanks

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
chrisearl88
Starter Motor

Hey guys, i worked out the problem. When i cut the harness to splice in my harness for the after market deck you end up with a few spare wires. I just cut the entire harness off for neatness and covered the ends of those wires as to not short it out. It appears however they are related to the airbag/seatbelt/aircon/headlight warning lights!!! God only knows why!!! It appears that these wires need to still be attached to the original harness regardless of whether its pluged into anything or not, this has me (a 4th year mech engineer and my dad a electrical engineering with 30+ years experience) stumped. I can see that there are two pairs of blue and grey wires that are connected together in parallel onto the harness (just connecting these together also solves the problem). I wonder why they dont just have these wires connected toegether normally as it doesnt really have anything to do with the stereo as far as i can tell. I assume some of the other "spare" wires as to do with models that have steeering controls and maybe 6 stackers or something.

So my words of advice are to use a wiring harness you can purchase off the net. OR if you alsolutely must cut and splice then only cut the wires you need and leave the rest on the original harness just dangling in the hole in the dash behind the stereo and you shouldnt have any dramas.

I still have a check engine light, but i think a d/c of battery for an hour should work that out

Also for anyone doing a stereo install in a focus, you will need a euro to iso aerial adapter to get your FM going. And you can order the facsia unit to put a single din radio in from aerpro (repco sorted it out for me and got it overnight to townsville which was pretty impressive) product number FP9144, its black with a pocket underneath.

If anyone needs tips or tricks to remove the stock head unit or any advice relating to installing an aftermarket unit/amp on a 06 focus just email me and i will be happy to help.

Cheers
Chris
Old 14-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #18
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done Chris, great to hear you sorted it.

Yeah, the loom has quite a few things hanging off it. Also has mobile phone access,
auto dimming, auto sound lowering, and even alarm in some instances.

Here's the Sony plug showing various pins.

Old 14-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
chrisearl88
Starter Motor

There you go!! I knew those extra wires had to be for something. I tried the battery disconnect but to no avail. Then i went to the shops and after 45 shopping i came back and the check engine light had gone away so stereo install is a complete success now. Not sure why but i woulnt argue with that.

There forums seem to be a good resource and the ppl here seem more keen to help than my local ford dealer who couldnt book it in for over a week! Glad im not paying for that now.

Any questions on a focus aftermarket head unit install guys, just email me and ill be happy to pass on any advice.

Cheers
Chris