Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
GSH
AU2 XR8

Default Pursuit Ute Motor Into XR8?

Hey guys.

Im looking into getting a 347....Would a pursuit ute 5.6L be a straight swap into a AU2 XR8?

Cheers!

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yes and no, the engine will physically swap straight over but youll need to change the ECU (or at the very least flash it to run with the stroker) and a few other things. You wont get a T engine for under $5k and I can think of a lot of things I would do to mine if I had $5k but its your call. Theyre also 342ci not 347.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I think for the money your better off going a ford racing 347 crate engine from the states I think from memory theyre around the 8 grand mark, looking into this for when my engine blows. You get a whole lot more out of it like the new Z type alloy head, big cam and genuine ford racing internals, theyre prolly good for close to 300rwkw
Old 31-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Theyre also 342ci not 347.
I was smiling the whole time I wrote this so please read on.
And a 5litre is not 5 litres and a 5.8 is not 5.8litres they round the figures off just as they call it a 347because thats its potential. CC the heads and check cylinder vloumes of any engine and you will get anomolies. I know we have agreed to disagree before but I'd rather call the car what Ford and Tickford advertised it as without getting out the slide rule.
From Ford itself -:

Engine
Re-engineered Windsor V8, 5.6-litre/347 cu in, Tickford crankshaft, roller rockers, double valve springs, worked cast-iron heads, 9.6:1 compression ratio, blueprinted block, 82 mm throttle body, multi-point injection, tuned 8 trumpet inlet manifold, shotpeened billet conrods, floating gudgeon lightweight pistons, performance camshaft, block girdle, extractors. 250kW@5250rpm, 500Nm@4250rpm (net)

So I guess I and others will go through life calling it a 347 and yourself and a few others will go through life changing it to 342 to be technically correct and thats OK but remember,,, mines bigger than yours (ha ha) even if im not technically correct. Besides you tell the Holden fanatics its 342 and they look at you strange but they know what a 347 is. :-)

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
And a 5litre is not 5 litres and a 5.8 is not 5.8litres they round the figures off just as they call it a 347because thats its potential. CC the heads and check cylinder vloumes of any engine and you will get anomolies. I know we have agreed to disagree before but I'd rather call the car what Ford and Tickford advertised it as without getting out the slide rule.
From Ford itself -:

Engine
Re-engineered Windsor V8, 5.6-litre/347 cu in, Tickford crankshaft, roller rockers, double valve springs, worked cast-iron heads, 9.6:1 compression ratio, blueprinted block, 82 mm throttle body, multi-point injection, tuned 8 trumpet inlet manifold, shotpeened billet conrods, floating gudgeon lightweight pistons, performance camshaft, block girdle, extractors. 250kW@5250rpm, 500Nm@4250rpm (net)

So I guess I and others will go through life calling it a 347 and yourself and a few others will go through life changing it to 342 to be technically correct and thats OK but remember,,, mines bigger than yours (ha ha) even if im not technically correct. Besides you tell the Holden fanatics its 342 and they look at you strange but they know what a 347 is. :-)
I'll still call it a 342 just so I can say mine is bigger than yours :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I'll still call it a 342 just so I can say mine is bigger than yours :
Gees mine is smaller cause I was behind the door but its qwicker once again proving the point its not how big it is but how you use it :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
And a 5litre is not 5 litres and a 5.8 is not 5.8litres they round the figures off just as they call it a 347because thats its potential.
The 5.6 is actually rounded off by a long way over at 347.
If we are to assume a standard bore, it should be rounded off to 342ci.
0.030" oversize pistons would be rounded to 347ci.
Quote:
CC the heads and check cylinder vloumes of any engine and you will get anomolies.
Combustion chamber volume won't have any bearing on capacity.
Bore and stroke determine capacity.
Quote:
I know we have agreed to disagree before but I'd rather call the car what Ford and Tickford advertised it as without getting out the slide rule.

From Ford itself -:

Engine

Perhaps Ford punched them all out 0.030".
Old 31-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yes and no, the engine will physically swap straight over but youll need to change the ECU (or at the very least flash it to run with the stroker) and a few other things. You wont get a T engine for under $5k and I can think of a lot of things I would do to mine if I had $5k but its your call. Theyre also 342ci not 347.
I'd suspect the standard ECU would run it quite ok.
But you're right, it wouldn't be worth it anyway, their are much better ways to spend money.
Old 31-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
GSH
AU2 XR8

Yeh i know its a 342.....but everyone calls them a 347...thats the way it is...Just like alot of (im into dirtbikes) dirtbikes and 397cc but they are called 400cc`s....

Why the big up roar?

Anyway bt2f......I would be getting the ECU and loom with it if i did buy it.....In that case it would be a straight bolt in swap?

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
Old 31-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
GSH
AU2 XR8

Also you may be able to do alot for 5k where you live...But in Perth and Western Australia.......Your looking at 4 to 4.5k just for a cam.......Stuff is way more expensive here

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
Old 31-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH
Yeh i know its a 342.....but everyone calls them a 347...thats the way it is...Just like alot of (im into dirtbikes) dirtbikes and 397cc but they are called 400cc`s....

Why the big up roar?

Anyway bt2f......I would be getting the ECU and loom with it if i did buy it.....In that case it would be a straight bolt in swap?
PM GCPURSUITPOWER, they transplanted the '250' from their P250 ute into an AU XR8 sedan they would be able to tell you everything you need.
Old 31-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
From Ford itself -:

Engine

I would have been smiling the whole time I read your post but I honestly couldnt care less? I DGAF what people call them, I just stated a fact?

But whatever does it for you........... :
Old 31-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

AS stated by 51RTE talk to GCPURSUITPOWER. His was a Pursuit 250 into a series 2 xr8.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

It will be a straight swap, as long as you get it complete throtle body air flow meter etc.
With the wiring loom is the same as your 5.0L.
ECU Maping can be wiped and re flashed via fords PDS to an equivalent T3 or P250 ecu number.
No need to replace it.

I have done it to my P250's ECU reflashed it from an auto to a manual.

Or your current ECU Maping will run it till you can get it Flash tuned.

Cheers Mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
womble101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WITE
I think for the money your better off going a ford racing 347 crate engine from the states I think from memory theyre around the 8 grand mark, looking into this for when my engine blows. You get a whole lot more out of it like the new Z type alloy head, big cam and genuine ford racing internals, theyre prolly good for close to 300rwkw

Looking into a crate motor myself and the only place in Oz that would give an idea on the net was A1 Hi Performance in perth.

Ford 5.0l 302-347w 450hp From$17,636.00 http://www.a1hiperformance.com/docs/products.php?cat=36

There RRP in the states is

M-6007-Z347* $8,995.00 http://www.fordracingparts.com/crate...lock_page2.asp

For the same motor. Have no idea what the cost of importing a crate motor are but I can't see 10K.

Have to call and ask A1 Hi Performance as have no idea how often they update there prices on the net.

Just seems very steep to me.
womble101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I wouldn't be going through them, have heard whispers around Adelaide that can get them for under 10k but could also be the older version which had from memory worked GT40 alloy heads. But if you can get it for 10k or under and I reckon you will be able too with the aussie dollar close to the same with US dollar, it is good value for money. Its a very good base to work with for chasing big power, I was thinking of that engine with a nice whipple S/C to top it off and hopefully munch my mates LS1's which they all have by the way, I'm the only one flyin the ford flag.. and in the end would still probably end up cheaper than sourcing all separate bits and pieces to build it, I'd prefer the trickflow twisted wedge heads though. Have to do some research and weigh up costs of doing it either way but in the end if your chasing big power you need the SVO/sportsman blocks to start with.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Gees mine is smaller cause I was behind the door but its qwicker once again proving the point its not how big it is but how you use it :
Lmao what a freak! :