Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think the B series has been the most successful falcon
Yes 141 71.21%
No 43 21.72%
undecided 14 7.07%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default BA/BF most successful Falcon On road and Track

Do you guys agree that the BA and BF have been the most successful Falcon ever built as far as the road and track go. The thing is that the B Series falcon still looks more modern than any other outgoing falcon. It also is still very technically advanced. The FG has big shoes to fill but i am sure it is headed in the right direction. No other falcon has been an outgoing model which was still such a good looking car and still so competitive against the General on road and track

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I would agree 10 sec daily drivers got to love the B-Series.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I agree, B-Series started the Turbo craze (factory aussie cars) i know the vl did it, but wasnt continued, and the refinement over the AU was amazing, the FG does nothign for me, i probably never would own one but awat too see what mk2 or FI or whatever brings.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I would agree yes, the only let down for me was the common problems of diffs and brake rotors, they should not have been an issue.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as track results go.

V8 Supercars:

"The BA Ford Falcon, the most successful racecar in Australian Touring Car Championship history"

The BF is not that far behind either...

From: http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/la...=&gid=22353886
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Agree 100%. A huge step for ford in the right direction.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

i agree 100%
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

The BA was a massive step forward!! I've been a mechanic / car salesman / tyre fitter so I've driven all sorts of cars. For bang for your bucks the BA / BF wins hands down. I have a standard XT and it is that well equipped, quiet and powerful it's amazing.

I've jumped out of a BMW 5 series and straight into a BA, and the BA rides so much better. And the power!! The big long strokes of the 6 rules!!

Yes, the brake rotors weren't that flash - I've replaced my rotors / pads at 75,000. I wasn't all that impressed. The brake line also failed, and I had to dish out money for that too. However, I think that was a recall, but I was too late.

Now it's running great!! No complaints - Can't wait to sell my Cruiser and drive it full time!!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
fpv608
BA MK2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
I agree, B-Series started the Turbo craze (factory aussie cars) i know the vl did it, but wasnt continued, and the refinement over the AU was amazing, the FG does nothign for me, i probably never would own one but awat too see what mk2 or FI or whatever brings.
Totally agree, no excitment at all for me also. I still think it was hurried out to quick for production. We deserve better... and hope to see that in the close future.

Falcon-Tickford-FPV Car Club of NSW
http://bseries.com.au/fpv608
PB 13.2 @ 109 mph
fpv608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
Do you guys agree that the BA and BF have been the most successful Falcon ever built as far as the road and track go. The thing is that the B Series falcon still looks more modern than any other outgoing falcon. It also is still very technically advanced. The FG has big shoes to fill but i am sure it is headed in the right direction. No other falcon has been an outgoing model which was still such a good looking car and still so competitive against the General on road and track
It still looks modern? Of course it does, it's only just been superceded! It is still modern. Same goes for technology level, it's only just been superceded so of course it is still quite good technologically speaking. Not sure I understand where you are going with this. This question might be worth asking in 5 years or 10 years....

As for the track, ie V8 Supercars, yes it is probably the most successful, definitely the most successful since the days of the XR-XY GTs. And it's about time too!! :evil3:

Personally I also think the EF/EL still looks quite good for its age and it held it's own compared to the AUs technology wise (apart from V8 power levels). Even today the interior of an EF/EL still looks quite good compared to some modern designs. Same goes for some of the exterior features IMO. And it actually was Australias top selling car in it's day.

Sorry, not meaning to criticize

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it had to be the best falcon ford ever made,other wise ford australia was up u know what creek,yes it does have it's problems and downfalls but what car doesn't???

Btw,i have driven the current ve's back to the equivelent vy,they are not a shade on my futura for ride power,torque and refinement...But then again i might be a bit biased????
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

One of the most successful but definatley not THE most. Can think of other models I would put in front of the B series, both track wise and on the road but its proberly in the top few. Just depends on perception or whats more important ....

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Plus the Supercars have absolutely nothing to do with the road cars these days. Other than the silhouette, of course.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
It still looks modern? Of course it does, it's only just been superceded! It is still modern. Same goes for technology level, it's only just been superceded so of course it is still quite good technologically speaking. Not sure I understand where you are going with this. This question might be worth asking in 5 years or 10 years....

As for the track, ie V8 Supercars, yes it is probably the most successful, definitely the most successful since the days of the XR-XY GTs. And it's about time too!! :evil3:

Personally I also think the EF/EL still looks quite good for its age and it held it's own compared to the AUs technology wise (apart from V8 power levels). Even today the interior of an EF/EL still looks quite good compared to some modern designs. Same goes for some of the exterior features IMO. And it actually was Australias top selling car in it's day.

Sorry, not meaning to criticize

What i mean by this is when you compare say VS to VT or XF to EA or EL to AU or even EL to VT. These cars where really out of date when compared to the next model. At the moment i would say that the BF is still competitive with the VE and for that matter is light years ahead of the VZ. Look at our six speed auto and the VE 6's still dont have a 6 speed.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Mechanically I agree, the BF is very competitive as far as the 6spd goes. Not sure about the BA 4spd though. Engines are also very competitive, especially the 6cyl variants. But then the Ford 6 has always been the best 6 on the market IMO, especially since the EF 157kw. And who can forget the XF, very strong for it's time. The EFI 4.1 was powerful enough to compete with the Holden 308.

I do get what you mean, but as far as looks go IMO it's too early to make any judgements. Once there are FGs on the road for a few years I bet the shape of the BA/BF does start to look dated with it's bulbous round roof line and conservative styling.

Some of the other examples are mainly styling. EL to AU - basically the same engines and driveline except for the IRS models. Similar steering and handling.

VT was such a leap forward over the VS anyway and styling wise was the next major step, like the VN over the VL. Same goes for the look of the AU to the EL, although I'm not really a fan.

I do agree that the BA will definitely hold it's own for many years to come assuming it proves as reliable as some of it's predecessors. Personally I'm not sure as mine is already developing squeeks and rattles after 43,000kms.

I cant believe you owned an EB GT and sold it. And it is exactly what I would want, a black manual. Beautiful looking cars I reckon... :sm_drool:

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

makes me proud to own one undeniably the best looking ford series made aswell
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
undeniably the best looking ford series made aswell
I doubt too many people would agree, mate. I think more people would choose the XY or maybe XA.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #18
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id say it is.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
EF Hoon
Sideways in my 33!

nah EF and EL best looking, considering their age. BUT BA-BF most successful on road and track.
EF Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The BF2 is probably the lowest selling Falcon of all time, does that mean its successful.

On the track yes, the BA/BF is probably one of the most successful racecars Ford have built, on the road they owned the VY/VZ in nearly every roadtest, but the lack of sales at the end of the day means the later BF/BF2 versions were commercial failures, but thats mostly cause of oil prices though, not really the product because they were still very competitive with the VE.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Id say it would be very close to being the most succussful cars, how does it compare to the VT on track?? As in who has had more wins? The VT was very succuessful in its day
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #22
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

B series falcon are the best modern day falcon. I miss mine heaps, i'll buy another stock XT in a few years on factory lpg. Lower it on 19's and get some tint.

Best daily driver (full stop)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
One of the most successful but definatley not THE most. Can think of other models I would put in front of the B series, both track wise and on the road but its proberly in the top few. Just depends on perception or whats more important ....
Yes... as far as GENUINE touringcar status id say the best are XBGT for ATCC wins and XAGT for Bathurst wins.. V8SC's are like BA/F's in broad shape only...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

They are silhouette racers. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #25
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

We would have to thank all the success and glory the B series has provided on the track, off the track and even at the school yards, cause it seems to have bought back all the enthuasists, haters, fans and anybody outside that circle as well after a long and fragile period ford was experiencing for quite some time.

Keeping in mind of the B series instant success it has open new horizons to previous models which have went unnoticed due to lack of any interest it didnt generate for whatever the circumstances might of been at the time and which the E-Series for example has displayed its capabilities to suit any persons needs in all aspects of owning a E-Series Falcon!

Howard Marsden -They were at time rated supposedly as the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

Bill Bourke - Part of the GT that changed the auto industry of australia, i would say one word, exciting it added excitement to the industry.

-GTHO P3
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #26
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes... as far as GENUINE touringcar status id say the best are XBGT for ATCC wins and XAGT for Bathurst wins.. V8SC's are like BA/F's in broad shape only...
XB??????..........unless you're referring to the XC Cobra......ahem......rebodied XBGT as also being an XB in the 77 win to add to Moffats 76 win in an XB GT hardtop.

Wasn't the XD the most successful FORD for ATCC wins with 2 back to back wins in 81 and 82.
Of course there was the Mustang onslaught from 65 - 69.........but that's yanky stuff.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Modern day touring cars it is the most successful (bit hard to judge against the old one's as it was different). As for road car, not really when you think about it as it was never the best seller also the profits made from it (while good) dont match the older series. Mind you the older series cars never had as much competition.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
XB??????..........unless you're referring to the XC Cobra......ahem......rebodied XBGT as also being an XB in the 77 win to add to Moffats 76 win in an XB GT hardtop.

Wasn't the XD the most successful FORD for ATCC wins with 2 back to back wins in 81 and 82.
Of course there was the Mustang onslaught from 65 - 69.........but that's yanky stuff.
Um.. the Cobra was 1978!!
The XBGT coupe won a stack of ATCC rounds (and Bathurst in 77 with XC panels), the XAGT won Bathurst twice... both models are standouts in the ford racing history...
You might be right about the XD atcc victories too.. it was important too.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Got to say no. One of the best Falcons ever, from a drivability and technical standpoint, relative to its cometitiors, but not the most succesful.

Most succesful Falcon ever probably goes to the XD/XE Blackwood cars. The Falcon that defined what Falcons were in an age in which downsizing was all the rage. It was 100% Aussie and stuck it right up Holden, in an age in which the Commo was a European dodgebox, Valiant was 10 years out of date and the Sigma was the most modern Australian made car.

It beat Holden at the sales race and convinced the rest of Australia that the dependable Big 6 Aussie family sedan was a viable option and kept it alive into the 21st century, it forced Holden to create the VN and Mitsu to create the Magna.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

BA Falcon did more then win races, it boosted the image of the brand by far, and the XR6T (and its variants) are on the pathway to legend status. Then there was the reberth of the GT as a regular model...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post