Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
jornsmith
jornsmith

Default things making owning a certain car difficult!!!!

Have our local councils all of a sudden forgotten about our roads lately. It seems like roads are not a high priority item all of a sudden in my area. Some of the roads up this way (lismore area) are quite shocking to say the least and half of them resemble mountain tracks, with potholes and cracks and debree all over them,especially on the outter areas. It has come to the point of me considering trading in the xr6 for something a bit more sturdy like a 4wd, because i don't think having a sports oriented car on these roads is suitable anymore. it's rattling itself to bits not to mention tearing up the tyres on my 19inch rims(of which i can barely afford to replace all the time).
i'm just wondering how many of you guys are in the same boat and have the same problems in your area which make owning a certain type of car difficult, it doesn't have to be just road conditions, it can be insurance cost because of areas,theives,cops make your life difficult etc
whats your situation?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would not say im in the same boat but there is certain roads i avoid . and insurance my area is good just having a v8 and under 25 is a concern but i knew this so no one to blame but myself
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
mustang70

insurance (conditions more than cost) and thieves...(including pricks stealing the horse off your grille)

other than that,like everyone else driving 30/40 year old cars, breakdowns and availability of parts (havent found a part not available but often needs to be ordered or tracked down)
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you contacted the council to complain about the roads? Afterall, they are the ones that repair them.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
insurance (conditions more than cost) and thieves...(including pricks stealing the horse off your grille)
I bet that car wasn't parked in a "dangerous" spot .. and someone still stole the running horse! A-holes!!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the roads in my area have all been re done(mostly) leading up to the new financial year
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funny you mention this, because lately around my house in kellyville and the missus hosue in west ryde, i've noticed roads being resurfaced... BUT, it's not the roads that need it.

ie. my street was in perfect condition, but got shutdown for a day and completely resurfaced, go a few streets away and its what i could imagine the moon looks like.

same is happening at the missus place
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
funny you mention this, because lately around my house in kellyville and the missus hosue in west ryde, i've noticed roads being resurfaced... BUT, it's not the roads that need it.

ie. my street was in perfect condition, but got shutdown for a day and completely resurfaced, go a few streets away and its what i could imagine the moon looks like.

same is happening at the missus place
Yes - too right. I see roads that look fine and are re-surfaced. But then other roads in the same council's boundaries are neglected. Some main roads are pothole ridden - over the past 4 years I used one particular road (Centre road Clayton) I have never seen it resurfaced and it's full of patch work and has developed a bump that gives the suspension work to do at 60km/h.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Central coast roads suck..apart from woy woy road slipping away, there are RTV eating potholes on all major link roads..on way home tonight, roads which were pot hole less yesterday, were scattered. a reason i think i willnot opt for wheel pack on my FG XR6
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70

gotta watch them rustlers :hihi:

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
Thornie
Off smelting

Ask the Qld government about the Bruce hwy.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
CROC4D
Starter Motor

I live at the dead end down a 10km dirt rd and i'm the only person who lives along it. the closest houise is 10k back at the sealed section. it was getting worse every day with trucks and workers vehicles coming to the farm. the council seemed to neglect us even ater 10 phone calls over probably 10 months. i wrote one lets say 'threatening' letter explaining how drivers needed to veer to the oncoming side to avoid washaways, rock protusions etc. also that we would have a newborn travelling the road early spring and within a month they came and fixed it up. did a good job too, only took em 2 days. if it only takes taht long thay should do it evry 3 months i'd think.

i also drove the road between kyogle and lismore about a month ago. talk about potholes, i know what you mean.
CROC4D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Yes - too right. I see roads that look fine and are re-surfaced. But then other roads in the same council's boundaries are neglected. Some main roads are pothole ridden - over the past 4 years I used one particular road (Centre road Clayton) I have never seen it resurfaced and it's full of patch work and has developed a bump that gives the suspension work to do at 60km/h.
Yeah, there's a shocking bump just outside the Centre Road Wreckers, where every time I go over it, my diff slams into my exhaust, and don't get me started about that level crossing! Has any one ever seen a 6"4' trailer airborn? Well, the people behind me would have the first time I went over that level crossing.

I'm originally from Maffra, and the EA is from down there too. Being a country car, it was a good purchase, but unfortunately it's suspension copped some serious abuse on a lot of the roads down there. I've replaced about 3/4 of the suspension components and it still squeaks.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

yeah blacktown council rules atm. they spending a few dollars repairing roads all over the area. i was first person to christen the shiny new tar in my street. fyi, this practise is not frowned upon in my street or area. mt druitt rules sometimes.