Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What 4WD for a second car?

What type of 4WD? We have around 10-15 grand too use. Prefer a dieseal and safe for our baby we have on the way. Leaning towards a hilux or patrol. Any other ideas?

Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
What type of 4WD? We have around 10-15 grand too use. Prefer a dieseal and safe for our baby we have on the way. Leaning towards a hilux or patrol. Any other ideas?
10-15 grand, type of 4WD, safe for our baby.
Pick any TWO. I don't think you can get all three of the above.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as said above, i don't think you will get something safe for 10-15g. you will get a 4wd for that much, not sure if you would even get a diesel one for that much tho...just go onto the carsales site and compare a few, that will give you an idea of what sorts of safety features they have; http://www.carsales.com.au/car-resea...re-search.aspx
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Nothing wrong with a late model low km diesel 80 series landcruiser. will pick one up for 15, good sturdy, reliable vehicle.
Old 30-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
Nothing wrong with a late model low km diesel 80 series landcruiser. will pick one up for 15, good sturdy, reliable vehicle.
True enough, the 80 series are tough, and the higher-spec ones generally had a fair whack of airbags/ABS etc.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess if you guys think an 80 series landcruiser is safe, we have different definitions of safe. Regardless of how many airbags they have, airbags can't really protect children. especially in a rollover, which these do with monotonous regularity.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Kryton

for 10-15k you can get something pretty decent.
im in the process of looking at a few myself but im buying solely for offroad use.
as much as i like the landcruiser, im leaning towards the Hilux at the moment.
dollar wise, you can get more Hilux than you can Landcruiser.
Diesel easily fits in this price range as well.

as for the 4WDs arent safe campaigners here, no car is safe.
4WDs only roll if you drive them outside of their limits - just like cars and trucks and motorbike and everything else.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
asteele-xr6

Have a look at the Ford Escape - some great deals as they run-out, and they are quite impressive for a "soft" 4WD. My wife bought one when trying to pick a colour for the new XR6.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have no problems with our 80 series cruiser ..... apart from the fact it needs flippers &/or a snorkle :P That was a driver error & the poor LAND cruiser had no say in that adventure ;)

If you roll a cruiser you are driving it wrong ....... or not to the conditions as any normal driver would with a child on board.

Not sure why you would want a deisel though ..... the price of that fuel is out of this world at the moment ......
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends what u want in a 4wd. Will you use it to tow boats etc? get a landcruiser, pull an elephant out of quicksand it will!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
SeXC
Pushrodosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
I guess if you guys think an 80 series landcruiser is safe, we have different definitions of safe. Regardless of how many airbags they have, airbags can't really protect children. especially in a rollover, which these do with monotonous regularity.
i love how people make these statements. I had a 1976 fj40 cruiser, which ARE easy enough to roll on the grand scheme of things with their 4 wheel leave springs(6 on each corner) and i used to flog the crap out of it all the time off road. I Had a lot of times when i thought it would roll but never did.

Unless you are actually a retard quadraplegic with the throttle stuck on (or a politician) then you wont roll an 80 series.

Show me one picture of someone responsibly 4wding in an 80 series that rolled it and i might change my stance.
SeXC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeXC
i love how people make these statements. I had a 1976 fj40 cruiser, which ARE easy enough to roll on the grand scheme of things with their 4 wheel leave springs(6 on each corner) and i used to flog the crap out of it all the time off road. I Had a lot of times when i thought it would roll but never did.

Unless you are actually a retard quadraplegic with the throttle stuck on (or a politician) then you wont roll an 80 series.

Show me one picture of someone responsibly 4wding in an 80 series that rolled it and i might change my stance.

Agree. The only roll overs I have seen is during some tricky off road work and race car drivers (read idiots) who think 4WD will round a corner just as fast as a Lotus.
Old 30-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you want it for??

If ya buying a 4WD for the sole reason of safety it's a myth, stick with the falcon, 4WD for safety is a load of *&%), It has 2 Diffs a Transfer case, big tires and 2 gear sticks for a reason and safety isn't it.
Old 31-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most people want them for fun, which is fine... Macca, for what you want, I would be leaning towards a LR Discovery, either the 4cyl TDi, TD5 or 3.9 or 4.0 V8 on LPG. Some of the later TD5s and 4.0 V8 of the old shape, had ACE cornering enhancement.... That really did make a difference, you could (but I don't recommend it) throw it fast in to a hard corner, and it would keep it stable. (Even more so than the Discovery 3).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
FPV70

For a 4x4 fpr around 10-15k would you be hard pressed to go past a 2.8 turbo diesel GQ Patrol.
I got one for $11,000.
engines are (like the 4.2) virtually bullet proof 6cyl.
they return good economy and you can make it better by adding an exhaust, snorkle and intercooler.
most older 4x4s are not exactly safe. they do not have as strong a roof line like a car does being that they use a seperate ladder chassis so incase of roll-overs, you install a decent cargo barrier (in wagons) or sports bars in utes.
the GQ Patrol 2.8 also uses less oil when doing an oil change (6.2 liters with filter, 5.8 without). Parts are in abundance aswell.
Yes I favor the Patrol over the Hilux but who wouldn't, the MAVRICK was a Patrol just badged by Ford.
Also, the GQ has coil springs not Leaf.

Pros for the GQ:
off road ability
Parts availability
Square late 80s shape (looks tough)
cheaper than Toymotor
stronger drivelines
2 inch lift Legal gets reasonable clearance

Cons of GQ:
square late 80s shape (looks old)
not as pretty inside as Toymotor
more squeeks and rattles than Toymotor (but will NOT fall apart)
low ground clearance when standard springs fitted.

I had to upgrade when our first little girl came along and I knew what I wanted but my wife made me research what might be a better option. I did this and still the Patrol came up the best value 4x4 for us although I did at first want the 4.2 Diesel.

If anyone tells you the 2.8 is not a good motor, they honestly do not know what they are talking about as I have done quite a bit of reasearch on the motor and it has come up looking good every time.

I do not doubt that the hilux is a good car aswell, but the Patrol in my opinion is the better choice. Also the Diesel 4cyl in the Hilux is Not turbo and it quite gutless.

Perhaps what you have to ask yourself is do you need a Wagon or a Duelcab ute?
4 or 6 cyl?
Coil or Leaf spring?

In my opinion, either of these 2 are very capable offroaders but remember, reliability is the biggest factor with offroading as there is nothing worse than being stuck in the outback, bush or the beach with a broken 4x4.

Good luck with your choice.

Remember, Life is a Journey, not a race (especially in a Diesel 4x4) and 4x4's are a lifestyle, not Just a Car.

cheers Brad.
Old 31-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Diesel is a state of mind. :voldar02:

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Darthur
2003 BA XT Mercury Silver

Thought about a Pajero? You can get a well kitted out 99 model one for circa $14k
Old 31-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #18
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm moving out of Sydney and where we will be where there is animals of all sorts! The XR will be mostly for commuting along highways. So we just want something like a GU 2.8ltr(My pick), 80/100series or even a few pajero's as said above. Really after strong and reliable!

I can't have it braking down miles from no where with the miss's and the baby, also got the dogs we want to through in the back and keep them safe(Don't like them in the back seat of the XR). I've considered a wagon with barrier but Would get more use outa a 4wd.

I'm a 4wd nut and know a fair bit about them, I am just biased too patrols and wanted other opinions, not the car sale peoples!

I've owned Hilux's and a gq 4.2 patrol and they were both excellent. Now we need some thing a bit more comfy and easier for the miss's to drive. It will get the occasional beach work and a bit of a touring/camping vehicle.

Thanks again all!
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
mustang70

If anyone tells you the 2.8 is not a good motor, they honestly do not know what they are talking about as I have done quite a bit of reasearch on the motor and it has come up looking good every time.

.[/QUOTE]

maybe they're a good motor but christ they're slugs. dont think i've ever driven such an underpowered 4WD as the 2.8 patrol, and yes i've driven a few
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we have a 2004 Pajero DI.D that i got from auction for $17k
it gets around 800ks to a (i think)80 ltr tank
it has heaps of grunt,air bags,front and rear IRS
i would buy one again for sure
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What about a 97-99 Nissan Pathfinder?, they are safe, less prone to roll over as they dont sit as high as Patrols and crusiers, also come with air bags on the Ti models
Old 03-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #22
FPV70

Quote:
maybe they're a good motor but christ they're slugs. dont think i've ever driven such an underpowered 4WD as the 2.8 patrol, and yes i've driven a few
Yes I agree they are slugs as a factory item, but as I said, put an exhaust on and intercooler and there is all the difference.

place up here does a Intercooler for them, gets 117 Bhp at the wheels and 750lb torque at the wheels. Put it into Low range and what does that equate to? Bucket loads.

2.8 GU Patrol, about the only problem you will have with them is the injector pump.
They too are a bit gutless as a standard item, but once again, exhaust, snorkle and chip it aswell and you get good power and economy and 6cyl.

They already have the intercooler so you don't have to worry about that.

once again, good luck

cheers Brad
Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
GSH
AU2 XR8

Hilux, Hilux, Hilux

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #24
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Mate avoid all the foolish ideas suggested, and strive for a Lada. Its the only non oz car Brocky saw fit 2 put his name on.
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #25
cob115
COUPE WHORE

the wifes got a 4.8lt ti patrol and its the biggest pile of crap around,build quality is crap clips break,things fall of,feul economy is ugly!! my 429 big block in my xc coupe uses less feul : The wife wanted plenty of power and its got it , were trading it in (not soon enuff),sorry to the patrol lovers out there ,I bought mine new and will never again buy a nissan patrol again cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can't go past the affordability, economy, on road cruising and off road ability and towing mix of a Discovery...go drive a few of them, as well as some of the others that have been suggested, then make your mind up.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #27
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
we have a 2004 Pajero DI.D that i got from auction for $17k
it gets around 800ks to a (i think)80 ltr tank
it has heaps of grunt,air bags,front and rear IRS
i would buy one again for sure
Thats what is top of my list, 800k (Diesel) per tank versus 500km (Petrol) per tank from 80 litres is pretty good (mates have Petrol)

It will be good for carrying kids and luggage, and is suitable for going up the beach. The NM>> Pajero's seem to have good active safety features, ABS, Traction control etc, the 04>>> Models have ESP as well....(I think)

Its actually a good time to buy a Diesel, as the end has dropped out of the market, so there is high negotiating power currently. You can get an 03 Exceed for between 27k and 30k at the moment... Petrols have dropped even further down. Oil prices will not remain this high in the longer term, speculatation is $150 a barrel peak, then sharp decline back to $90-$110 (Around Feb next year)

One can only hope... It will be good for everyone involved.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #28
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

If as macca said it was for beach work and occasional camping/touring. Prado's can be a good investment.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #29
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

my 2c worth

GQ Nissan Patrol , try and get a late modle 95 - 97 model. and if your using it on the open road try and go for a 4.2 that has had a turbo fitted. They are bullet proof cars , diffs & gearboxes are strong. parts are much cheaper than a toyota , engines are tough. and for $15k you will get a nice low k ST or even TI with nice trim , electrics and a few extras

If you can stretch it a bit more then go for a GU , they are better again
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #30
XWGT