Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
99VCTFairlane

Default Cruise Control Cable issues

First and formost, screw you Gas Ring LPG.... had a VERY nasty back fire/flameball the other day and melted a few bits around the throttle body like the intake piping, the idle speed controler, the cruise control and throttle cables. I got no problems changing piping, idler and the throttle cable.

The issue i got is the cruise cable that runs next to it, i bought a replacement from a ford wrecker and he gave me the whole cruise control unit, and it seems the cable is not removable from the the unit. If it is removable does anyone know how i can do that and just replace the cable or am i gonna have to change the whole unit.... if so anything i need to know before i tackle it because it looks like a bit of a pain to get the big cruise control box thingy out from behind everything.
Cheers Guys
Alex

99VCTFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slightly off topic the backfire was caused by a poor ingnition system. LPG ( especially mixer ring) is sensitive to ignition problems. you need to look at your plugs and leads to fix this may even be a coil pack. SVI gas is far better as far as backfire is concerned but $$$$$$. not sure about the cruise cable though

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
scrivens
quarter pane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99VCTFairlane
The issue i got is the cruise cable that runs next to it, i bought a replacement from a ford wrecker and he gave me the whole cruise control unit, and it seems the cable is not removable from the the unit. If it is removable does anyone know how i can do that and just replace the cable or am i gonna have to change the whole unit....
The cable isn't readily removable but the CC unit itself comes out in a few seconds. Unplug the electrical cables, undo the three nuts holding it into the body cavity and turn it sideways and slide it out with a rolling motion between the edge of the cavity and the brake cylinder. It's a tight clearance and you may have to turn it in a few different planes to find the correct angle but it does come straight out without having to remove anything else.
scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
99VCTFairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
slightly off topic the backfire was caused by a poor ingnition system. LPG ( especially mixer ring) is sensitive to ignition problems. you need to look at your plugs and leads to fix this may even be a coil pack. SVI gas is far better as far as backfire is concerned but $$$$$$. not sure about the cruise cable though
Yeah i know about the back fire problem buddy, i after the blow the first thing i found was two cracked leads and i shitty plug.... she is due for a service in about 500 kays, just really really bad luck it happened when it did, ****ed me off something chronic

Cheers though
Alex
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
99VCTFairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivens
The cable isn't readily removable but the CC unit itself comes out in a few seconds. Unplug the electrical cables, undo the three nuts holding it into the body cavity and turn it sideways and slide it out with a rolling motion between the edge of the cavity and the brake cylinder. It's a tight clearance and you may have to turn it in a few different planes to find the correct angle but it does come straight out without having to remove anything else.
Thanks alot mate i'll tackle it tomorrow morning
Cheers
Alex