Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Creaky suspension

I changed my suspension to lows a few months back and have been hearing creaks and moans since. At first I thought it was just that they needed to seat themselves or something but now I'm thinking I may have overtightened some bolts. I did leave the original length shocks on. Could that be what's causing it?

Any suggestions as to what it may be and how to fix it?

Cheers.

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine does this too sometimes, since it was professionally lowered to SL height a year ago. I'd like to find out what it is too, when I get around to dropping into the suspension guys I'll let you know what their answer is.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

could be Ball Joints?? mine went after i got my car lowered aswell
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
hotrod60f100

Check to see if the steering rack is loose.
hotrod60f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

mine creaks too at the front left im pretty sure it is lol.

just turn the stereo up enough and you wont hear it anymore!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Mine creaked so I got it checked out. Balljoints are stuffed and are prone to collapsing leaving you on the side of the road, might be an idea to get them fixed.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got home. Took the car onto the freeway with the radio down and I didn't notice any noise, but as soon as I slowed down to about 80, you could hear slight creaking, but only in the back left this time. A creak *was* coming from front/back left and a slight noise coming from the back right every once in a while on the way into the city at slower speeds.

Does it still sound as though it may be the ball joints?
How can you check them?
Is it possible to fix yourself and how much are you looking at to do it yourself or for a mechanic to do it?
Can a tyre place pick up the problem while doing an alignment (I should note I haven't had an alignment since lowering)?

Could over/under tightening be the issue?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I had a creak from front right on my lowered AUII over two years ago and took it to a few places who wanted to fit new bushes and other work. One place tried some grease on the shock and haven't had a problem since.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was that on the bottom of the spring or on the shaft of the shock that goes into the gas container?
Old 13-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got home now after another stint on the freeway. The creaking is still there and there is a 'clunk-clunk' sound coming from the back right. This is really starting to bug me now. Is there anywhere you can take the car to that will check it out and let you know what's up for a fair/low price? Is the standard length shock in the lower spring a possible cause?
Old 13-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What kind of car have you got? Is it IRS, because the AU IRS have a well known issue with the top shock mount. It bangs and clunks and such.

To check it you pull forward the rear seat and look under the trim. You'd see pretty quick if it's catcus.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not IRS. If it is the shock mount, can it cheaply/easily be replaced? I also tightened all the bolts as hard as I could after putting in the suspension (front and back), could this cause the creaking? Is there anywhere in particular that I should be looking at to put grease?

I know you did your own change over a while back. Did you keep the original shocks? Have you had any similar problems?
Old 13-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
It's not IRS. If it is the shock mount, can it cheaply/easily be replaced? I also tightened all the bolts as hard as I could after putting in the suspension (front and back), could this cause the creaking? Is there anywhere in particular that I should be looking at to put grease?

I know you did your own change over a while back. Did you keep the original shocks? Have you had any similar problems?
If your car isn't IRS, I doubt it'd be the shock mounts then.

After my change of springs (kept the shocks - they weren't original but Pedders and only 4ish months old) I developed a heap of creaking in the front end. I replaced the sway bar D bushes (20 minute job) and it's been good ever since.

Perhaps the rear creaking indicates that all the rear bushes need replacing. I know I've got some creaking in the rear of the wagon, but as I don't drive it much, I'm happy to leave that be at the mo. If it were the SR, well then, that'd be different wouldn't it? LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Was that on the bottom of the spring or on the shaft of the shock that goes into the gas container?
I didn't see him do it but I'm pretty sure that he said it was on the shaft.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this one of the items (circled in red) I have to lubricate? I read in another thread that there is more than one bush connected to the suspension. Is the item circled in blue the 'D' bush?

Same from the rear

Is this the D bush that needs to be lubricated on the back? How do you go about it? smother the whole thing with grease or just the inner? I've got silicon spray and High Temperature bearing grease lying around and the good old WD40. What would be best?

I remembered that I sheared off one of the screw/bolts when doing the suspension. It is one of the brackets that holds the sway bar (I think) in place. This is on the same side that has the 'clunk-clunk' sound. Could it be the cause?

Last edited by JMO; 14-04-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 14-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Surely could be the reason for the clunk.

The bits you've circled in red are the bushes I'm talking about. For less than $30 for a pair and the 4 bolts (in your case 3) holding them in, it's well worth doing.

If you're not replacing them, use the high temp grease. It really would be pretty easy to change them though, the pack of bushes comes with its own grease. It's white from memory.

At the very least, I'd get that bolt drilled out and replaced.

All the best with it.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does that include the piece in the first picture?

The bracket in the rear doesn't have the bolts attached. They're part of the axle. I tried drilling through it myself to replace the bolt, but the drill bits I have wouldn't go through, so I'll get a mechanic to do it next service.

I removed the bracket and pushed down on the front and the creak is still there. Even after greasing up the bush it's still there.

I turned the wheel full lock right and now when I push down on the front there is no creak. Does this narrow it down to any part in particular?
Old 14-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tightened one of the bolts that seemed a little loose and the creak is gone! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

The bushes look a little bit worn.Where can I purchase the bushes from? Repco, Su[ercheap?
Old 14-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I tightened one of the bolts that seemed a little loose and the creak is gone! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

The bushes look a little bit worn.Where can I purchase the bushes from? Repco, Su[ercheap?
Bushes (As recommended to me by JC)

SuperPro bushes from Ringwood Auto parts
8 Launders Avenue Wonga Park 3115
03 9722 2842
Bill is a really good bloke to deal with and is very, very helpful. The D bushes should be around $20 a pair (or less).

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 14-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #20
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that GK. I'll contact them when I get a chance.
Old 15-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got in contact with Rob and he needs to know the diameter of the front and rear sway bars. Does anyone know them or link to where i can find them? I won't be able to get access to te underside of my car for a few days.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #22
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it be worth it to change all the bushes (link, d etc) over to nolathane/urethane items, or is the gain not worth it? It is meant to be equal to upgrading the diameter of the sway bar. What difference would it make if I changed only the 'D' bushes from rubber to nolathane/urethane? Would there be a noticeable difference between them and rubbers ones? While on the topic of sway bars, would it be worth the effort of changing it over for larger diameter items? Would I see an improvement in everyday handing or is the outlay not worth it?

As I said I need the diameter of the front and rear sway bars of an AU2 Forte and can go from there.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

After reading this thread yesterday i got into my car to goto work and now mines creaking, i think this thread could be jinx'd.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How annoying is the creak... It was driving me nuts!
Old 15-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #25
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

lol yeah but mine only does it when turning the steering under load, so me thinks rack bolts.
Old 15-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I had similar issues. Ended up finding out that my steering rack bolts weren't tight at all. D bushes were worn, and lower control arm bushes completely stuff. Got all those things sorted and now it drives so differently its awesome.

From what I was told, the AU's came with urethane bushes from factory. So you should replace them with urethane.

Front sway from factory is 24mm from memory.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #27
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok 24mm for the front. Anyone know the rear diameter?
Old 15-04-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not sure on the rear ... my ute doesn't have a rear sway bar.

I can vouch for the SuperPro Polyurethane bushes ... I have my front inner and outer control arms bushes replaced with these ... and they are awesome ... i am going to get my front swaybar bushes replaced as well now as i have a creak/squeak in the front.

My steering has gone really light and there's some play at the moment now .... I just hop it's not another rack stuffed.

Anyone know is there's bushes or anything in the steering that may cause this????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #29
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

24mm mines 29mm, did fairmont ghia's cope a bigger one?
Old 16-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
24mm mines 29mm, did fairmont ghia's cope a bigger one?
could possibly be to help control the IRS rear???

My futura is more based on a forte than any fairmont, so the fact your car is a ghia, your suspension has been improved with the IRS and better handling of the front with a bigger sway.

Anyone care to correct me or elaborate further?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont