Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
AdamK

Default AU2 futura, where to start

been reading for a little while and thought i'd register at last...
ok so my parents are going to give me their AU2 dual fuel falcon.
(not my first choice of car but looks like i'll have to do without a BA : )
what would i be looking at to get a manual conversion, and LSD?
where would i start for mods?
cheers

AdamK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK
been reading for a little while and thought i'd register at last...
ok so my parents are going to give me their AU2 dual fuel falcon.
(not my first choice of car but looks like i'll have to do without a BA : )
what would i be looking at to get a manual conversion, and LSD?
where would i start for mods?
cheers
Mate, your parents are "giving" you a car, that's a good reliable model, that you know the history of, already on LPG and you're lamenting the BA! Classic!

Be thankful mate!

As for mods, well, the manual conversion will set you back $2-3K, but I'll let you know that you wont be happy with the stock diff ratio. Go for an XR spec 3:45 or even a 3:7. I went the 3:7 and maybe went too much. I also had my car converted to manual just before Christmas, and just had my diff rebuilt so this is all recent experience to me.

If I had my time again, this is what I would have done.

Gone the 3:7 diff but kept the auto. At least I could have seen what it would have been like. Perhaps I was a little hasty in going for the manual. Driving Evan's car (a weapon) made it hard not to think about converting over though!

If I still went for the manual, perhaps I'd only have gone the 3:45 ratio in the diff. The 3:7 is a little too annoying in stop start traffic, hence my thoughts about keeping the auto.

I could have also gone a hi-stall converter in the auto and had a fully recoed auto for $700 less than what it cost me to do the conversion.

There's a few things to think about.

BTW, plan on getting some pacemaker extractors and a 2.5 Redback sports exhaust. The car will go heaps better, without even touching the trans or diff.

All the best with it.

BTW, welcome to the forum. In time you just may learn to love the AU, just like we do! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Welcome to the forum... i hope you soon love the AU... it grows on you over time...

Parts are getting cheaper and cheaper for these models... go and look at some trimming mods, clean it right up, fix problems and you'll have a great cruiser.
Old 17-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
AdamK

i think i'm starting to like it... after seeing LG's AU forte, its really showed me what can be done.
is there a big power difference between the regular & the VCT engine?
what would be the benefits?
cheers
Old 17-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK
i think i'm starting to like it... after seeing LG's AU forte, its really showed me what can be done.
is there a big power difference between the regular & the VCT engine?
what would be the benefits?
cheers
The extra power of the VCT is balanced with the extra weight of the IRS. It's a nicer handling package from what I know. Mine's live rear axle, so I'm only going on what's accepted here.

LG's car is a cracker. He is one handy bloke for sure. He also has a very good eye for detail.

The benefits IMO are not with the engine, but with the IRS that goes with it.

I may be wrong, but it's also pretty accepted here that there's not a lot of development work done on the VCT, but lots more on the stock I6. That's a disadvantage IMO. Others may differ but I think it's accurate enough. Also, whilst the IRS will handle sweeter, the rear shock mounts are a well known problem. Lots of IRS owners have knocking in the rear from their wear. On that you can be sure.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate,

You have to decide how you wanna do up your car. Looks or power.

For power, i suggest you go for a full exhaust & intake, with a new diff gears and lsd like GK suggested. My friends Futura is on gas, and with an exhaust, gives it a nice note and some decent power to be happy with.

For looks, I suggest you do the little things on the interior, gear knob, steering wheel, get some chrome in there.. Then for the future, check out some bodykits, but I reckon you try and stay unique and different to everyone else.

Goodluck buddy.
Old 17-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
AdamK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Hey mate,

You have to decide how you wanna do up your car. Looks or power.

For power, i suggest you go for a full exhaust & intake, with a new diff gears and lsd like GK suggested. My friends Futura is on gas, and with an exhaust, gives it a nice note and some decent power to be happy with.

For looks, I suggest you do the little things on the interior, gear knob, steering wheel, get some chrome in there.. Then for the future, check out some bodykits, but I reckon you try and stay unique and different to everyone else.

Goodluck buddy.
thanks mate, awesome car btw!
thanks for the tips. definately the things i'll be deciding soon enough...
just saving the pennies :P
Old 17-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
nikos
mezzo forte

LG - Nice looking car, but you should put up some more whole car shots! Those rims are sweet, I don't usually like aftermarket wheels but those look sensational.

AdamK - For looks I'd recomend a lowering job and some nice wheels to begin with, and as LG said exhaust and intake for power.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The extra power of the VCT is balanced with the extra weight of the IRS. It's a nicer handling package from what I know. Mine's live rear axle, so I'm only going on what's accepted here.

LG's car is a cracker. He is one handy bloke for sure. He also has a very good eye for detail.

The benefits IMO are not with the engine, but with the IRS that goes with it.

I may be wrong, but it's also pretty accepted here that there's not a lot of development work done on the VCT, but lots more on the stock I6. That's a disadvantage IMO. Others may differ but I think it's accurate enough. Also, whilst the IRS will handle sweeter, the rear shock mounts are a well known problem. Lots of IRS owners have knocking in the rear from their wear. On that you can be sure.

GK
I agree GK, i bought the VCT for the IRS, not the factory power increase. since power is a lot easier to add on later. as for the diff gears, im all confused now, 3.7 or 4.11 ???
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

but in response to your post AdamK, congratulations on inheriting a fine piece of machinery and welcome to you i agree with what everyones saying on mods. it seems to be easy, yet so effective when modding the look of your bland futura using parts from other AU's, e.g fairmont, fairlane (as far as interior is concerned anyway). exterior looks, well, thats just personal preference, something as subtle as an SR kit all the way to V8 supercar. C2R kits prove popular i suppose.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

hi adam welcome to the forums

we have similar cars, your lucky to have been given yours. it sounds like a pearler.

get the car running smooth first, then assess your budget. start with exhaust and intake mods, then diff gears. i suggest keeping your auto and getting a hi stall fitted.

it just comes down to what your wanting out of your beast. speed? power? looks? handling?

let us know, and post up pics dude

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8