Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
2fellas
Starter Motor

Default AUXR6VCT probs

hi all i have a 200 au2 xr6vct that has a bad idle problem and now it seems to have an issue were the revs go up and down on there own , not a lot but a couple of hundred revs and when is idling its quite obvious .its different to the rough idle problem though
i have replaced fuel filter ,air filter ,spark plugs and leads and its getting worse ..its like sitting in a mildly worked v8 thats how rough the idle is .when your at the back of the car you can a backfire/pop in the exhaust as well and when you start the car it beeps 3 times..like beep beep beep a pause then beep beep beep does that three times

any ideas ,its still a great car and goes well

:

2fellas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fellas
hi all i have a 200 au2 xr6vct that has a bad idle problem and now it seems to have an issue were the revs go up and down on there own , not a lot but a couple of hundred revs and when is idling its quite obvious .its different to the rough idle problem though
i have replaced fuel filter ,air filter ,spark plugs and leads and its getting worse ..its like sitting in a mildly worked v8 thats how rough the idle is .when your at the back of the car you can a backfire/pop in the exhaust as well and when you start the car it beeps 3 times..like beep beep beep a pause then beep beep beep does that three times

any ideas ,its still a great car and goes well

:
The beeping is most likely the DTE function (Distance to Empty), which beeps three times then pause, then three times until there's been 12 beeps. It does it when there's 80, and 40 (not sure about 20) kilometres until empty.

As for the rough idle, give the ISC a clean and see how that goes. It's a 5-10 minute job and often works wonders. Basically, the ISC controls the idle and if it's loaded with crud, it doesn't regulate idle correctly.

Have a lookie here to see how to locate and clean it.

Cleaning ISC
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
2fellas
Starter Motor

hi mate thanks for that it beeps even when the tank is full every time i start it up ...opps forgot i did the ISC and it still rough
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
hi mate thanks for that it beeps even when the tank is full every time i start it up ...opps forgot i did the ISC and it still rough
I can't help you with the beeps then. Have you disconnected the battery recently? If so, the ECU may just be taking it's time to relearn your car's setup.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

How often does the VCT hardware play up? A wrecker told me once there was a valve or something that went... maybe the camshaft is in the opposite position to where it needs to be for idle, or moving around randomly??? What else affects idle? Power steering pressure sensor... aircon sensor?

And maybe the beeps are a general warning... I'm pretty sure that if I turn the ignition off or open the door with the headlights on I get the same 3 beeps.

Might be worthwhile to get the PCM checked for DTC's.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Burley
CRE.87V

yeh mate mine idles really bad up and down....cleaned isc, t/b and changed both gaskets....im stumpt on wat it is
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Perhaps the ISC is faulty?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 12-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
2fellas
Starter Motor

yea is annoying aye ...........car also has a realy hot exhaust tip it gets so hot it pings as it cools down ..a bit frustrating .. : how do you check if the ISC is faulty and VCT unit ?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
yea is annoying aye ...........car also has a realy hot exhaust tip it gets so hot it pings as it cools down ..a bit frustrating .. : how do you check if the ISC is faulty and VCT unit ?
You need a mate with an AU I6! Swap them over, thankfully it's a 5 minute job, you'd notice right away.

Can't help with the VCT unit sorry. I have Zero experience with VCT engines and my knowledge base is only slightly more than that! Surely others here could suggest something though.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as far as the beeping goes, are you starting the car with the door open? this will also beep like that, or if any door is open for that matter...how old are the spark plugs and leads? these may be worth checking as well, and also if you haven't already, give the throttle body a clean too
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
as far as the beeping goes, are you starting the car with the door open? this will also beep like that, or if any door is open for that matter...how old are the spark plugs and leads? these may be worth checking as well, and also if you haven't already, give the throttle body a clean too
He mentioned changing the plugs and leads in the first post, but you may be onto something with cleaning the TB. Good suggestion. Give it a go.

Cleaning Throttle Body
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=48

KUP (Keep us posted)

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, sorry about that, been a long week so far....

anyway, it may also be worth looking at the coil if you haven't done so and possibly check it for vacuum leaks too. apparently some of the smaller vacuum hoses towards the rear of the engine can crack, if you have a leak it will also cause rough idle issues
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
2fellas
Starter Motor

sweet thanks for those ideas i will try all the above this weekend ...
Old 14-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Autocade

You mentioned you thought your exhaust is getting very hot
Maybe your catalytic converter is blocked
Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
2fellas
Starter Motor

thanks will look at htat as well

does any one no how the vct works
Old 15-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #16
bigred
Ford lover

i fixed my rubbish idle with a new coil pack, leads and plugs. I too changed the pump, fuel filter, with no result.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
2fellas
Starter Motor

a new coil pack aye will try that as i thinkl i have covered every thing else ...i hooked up a vachume guage and have been drivin around with that and the car seems fine acording to the guage .........just a damn rough idle :
Old 19-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
sanjay

ive noticed in my VCT that every 5 to 10 seconds when sitting at lights the revs will blip a tiny bit for a split second then go back to normal - can hear it thanks to the LOUD exhaust...but not a huge deal IMO.
Old 19-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it blips when you have the AC on or off sanjay??

if i have the AC on it gives it self a slight rev every now and again(just waiting for a commo to think i want a race LOL)
Old 19-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
sanjay

ive had the air con on pretty much 100% of the time, will do some idling with the ac off and see if its any better. GKs tutorials on cleaning the ISC and throttle body dont look too difficult though, might give them a go.
Old 19-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
ive had the air con on pretty much 100% of the time, will do some idling with the ac off and see if its any better. GKs tutorials on cleaning the ISC and throttle body dont look too difficult though, might give them a go.
if youve got the AC on, it'll bump up the revs at idle to keep it going - this is what will be causing your issue. It'll click, then the revs will go up, and it'll do that every few mins as long as you have the AC on.
Old 19-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #22
sanjay

the symptom is more like this:

stop at traffic

idles at about 900rpm

every 10 - 30 seconds it will blip a tiny amount, to just under 1000rpm on the tacho, then back to normal. but i can hear it and if ive got my foot on the brake and sitting in D, i even feel a tiny jerk foward as if the car is trying to accelerate :p

but yeah ive had the aircon on all the time because its been 37+ in adelaide...tempted to go and sit in some traffic right now but ive got uni work to do :p
Old 19-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay
the symptom is more like this:

stop at traffic

idles at about 900rpm

every 10 - 30 seconds it will blip a tiny amount, to just under 1000rpm on the tacho, then back to normal. but i can hear it and if ive got my foot on the brake and sitting in D, i even feel a tiny jerk foward as if the car is trying to accelerate :p

but yeah ive had the aircon on all the time because its been 37+ in adelaide...tempted to go and sit in some traffic right now but ive got uni work to do :p
try cleaning out the throttle body and ISC as suggested as the throttle might be sticking a bit?