Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Default BP and Shell Boycott

Has anyone else got the email about the boycott of BP and Shell Fuel for the next few weeks ???

The basis of it is that they own the majority of all Fuel stations and if they don't get any revenue and people go to other places such as independents and lesser known companies that a price war will commence and force prices down

Has anyone heard of it ? I got the email today, and will you participate in it in the hope of it working ?

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

This was tried about a year or two ago, dont think it really worked, i use BP normally anyhow so ill be doing my bit!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
if they don't get any revenue and people go to other places such as independents and lesser known companies that a price war will commence and force prices down
?
A price war would suit the big players and only hurt smaller players, as for it working, ? I'd probably have a better chance of blowing smoke rings out of my backside.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I think boycotting Shell is not a bad idea for one other reason: their treatment of various countries over the years. Shell have a terrible environmental track record and even had one guy in Nigeria arrested and sentenced to death for daring to protest against their operations there. Shell wasn't directly responsible but leaked memos from Shell and the government in Nigeria at the time basically proved that Shell wanted him 'dealt with' ASAP.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
AUIIForte

Count me in!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahhhahhahahahahahah.

No one cares. An immaterial amount of customers will boycott - it won't effect profits at all. In fact, dare I say they wouldn't even notice a decline in sales for the day.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Hahhhahhahahahahahah.

No one cares. An immaterial amount of customers will boycott - it won't effect profits at all. In fact, dare I say they wouldn't even notice a decline in sales for the day.
Though I agree... the email said over the next few weeks, not one day.

I don't go to shell or BP anyway, so meeehh.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

It has been tried, and it failed...
What are they supposed to do? If they lower prices, everyone will go there for the cheap fuel. And they get their customers back.
pointless.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuey
people go to other places such as independents and lesser known companies that a price war will commence and force prices down
This will not work for a couple of reasons. Firstly, a mere email circulating will not reach the mass market. Additionally, the people who actually do decide to boycott will be a minority - not even close to a recognisable chunk out of Shell/ BP's business. Lastly, the independents would have to first lower their own prices to start a price war. And in the event of a price war, the independents would get severely owned.

This boycott plan would have to be massively successful (as in, ~5% of motorists boycotting) and run for a series of months to even get close to a price fluctuation - which will not happen.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there are 2 refinery's in WA, BP and Gull so doing this will do nothing as one refinery couldn't support all of WA so BP would just sell it's fuel to Gull.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
........ I'd probably have a better chance of blowing smoke rings out of my backside.
If that succeeds, can you post it here as a video??

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The big cartell thing actually operates in line with the other great duoploly which is Coles & Safeway.(Woolworths in some parts) with there shopper dockets.

Coles uses Shell & Safeway uses Caltex now often branded as Coles Express and Safey Fuel.

This is so bad that Mobil at one stage considered pulling out of Oz. Forget the independants, they have no chance, if Exxon-Mobil can't compete no one can. :

Haven't seen the e-mail, but why not buy from an independant.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #13
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

yeah been tried a few times before and unfortanly i will only use BP fuels, and meh its more th government you need to look at also, they make bout 20% on the fuel in tax so when fuel was 80c they were make 16c but not fuel is at $1.40 they make what 28c think my maths is off there but meh you get the picture

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
If that succeeds, can you post it here as a video??
Kinky!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Not sure why you'd bother with Shell or BP, Caltex is the biggest supplier. They have their own service stations, Woolworths, taken over most Ampol service stations and supply to many others.

Has anyone watched the Caltex share price skyrocket over the last few years??? High share prices are a result of great profits, same goes for the banks.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

A Boycott for One day does about 2/10ths of F)(* All ...

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
BROCKYB8
YEAH IT IS A FORD

well the only prob is that alot of the cars today that are high performance tend to run on the bp ultimate and or shell crAp.