Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Applying For An Exemption

As I'm sure everyone knows by now P-Platers in NSW can no longer drive V8's. So I'm thinking about applying for an exemption so i can drive dads GT, the reasoning behind it is i do a lot of driving around for dad as he is away on business a fair bit, and dad wants to buy another GT or typhoon soon but only will if i get the exemption and of course i want to! If i dont he will buy something i can drive, legally.

As dad owns a transport company and i do holiday work for him, he was thinking of saying i need to drive a V8 as he has a V8 work Ute, BUT, he doesn't have a V8 work Ute, would the RTA be likely to check if he has a V8 Ute?

I'm going to do an advanced driving course if that will help with the application.

Anybody on here been successful with applying for one? What reasoning did you give?

Anyone got any ideas which could help the application be successful?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

I didn't know you could get them haha shows how much attention I pay

Doing the driving course would probably help
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Never heard of it, and knowing the RTA i doubt a drving course will help but good luck with it and let us know
Old 28-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://gls.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/co...aq/Itemid,113/
(Down near bottom of page)

"Exemptions will only be considered in exceptional circumstances where it can be proven by the driver that he/she will endure undue hardship if the exemption is not granted. All requests for an exemption must be in writing and sent to:

VicRoads
Exemptions
Locked Bag 5000
KEW VIC 3101

Probationary drivers required by their employer to drive a high powered vehicle during working hours will be automatically exempted."

Considering your Dad can afford a GT and is considering another FPV, I think you'll be up against it. You may get one for when you do work for him, but if you do I'd say there's a chance you'll get pulled over for checks more frequently when they see P's on a GT
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

They will check, so don't lie to them.

If your Dad buys a FPV and put it in the business name, you will be fine to drive it, just carry a letter in the car from your employer explaining it is the work vehical provided to you and the police shouldn't trouble you.

As shown above that is the way it works in Victoria, not sure if it is the same for NSW, but your answer is only a phone call away.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
shane3
FPV GT 0915

As a have been "P" plater who has a GT I would say don't display the "P" plate and if your dad has the windows tinted keep them up, I was pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks then took down the "P" plate and was okay.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
alstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
As a have been "P" plater who has a GT I would say don't display the "P" plate and if your dad has the windows tinted keep them up, I was pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks then took down the "P" plate and was okay.
Yeah fully advice bro!
I don't even bother with a licence anymore, I save myself $130 a year!

:
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
They will check, so don't lie to them.

If your Dad buys a FPV and put it in the business name, you will be fine to drive it, just carry a letter in the car from your employer explaining it is the work vehical provided to you and the police shouldn't trouble you.

As shown above that is the way it works in Victoria, not sure if it is the same for NSW, but your answer is only a phone call away.
Yeah the car is in works name.

What would happen if i put in an application, they check, see dad doesnt own a V8 work ute, what would they do?
Old 28-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
Yeah the car is in works name.

What would happen if i put in an application, they check, see dad doesnt own a V8 work ute, what would they do?
As long as it is a work car then you are not braking any rules, it doesn't say it ha to be a ute does it?

Make sure you call RTA or whatever to confirm your states laws on this though.

If it is the same as in victoria, carry a letter from your boss and that is the end of it, you don't need an exemption from the RTA. (Once again look into this)
Old 28-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
As long as it is a work car then you are not braking any rules, it doesn't say it ha to be a ute does it?

Make sure you call RTA or whatever to confirm your states laws on this though.

If it is the same as in victoria, carry a letter from your boss and that is the end of it, you don't need an exemption from the RTA. (Once again look into this)
I havnt really looked into it, but it doesnt say it has to be a ute. From what i know you can get an exemption if you need a V8 or turbo for work purposes, which is why i said its a V8 work ute.

I'll call the RTA tomorrow and see what happens, its free to apply so worst that can happen is they say no.
Old 28-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

You are such a liar :
Old 28-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I havnt really looked into it, but it doesnt say it has to be a ute. From what i know you can get an exemption if you need a V8 or turbo for work purposes, which is why i said its a V8 work ute.

I'll call the RTA tomorrow and see what happens, its free to apply so worst that can happen is they say no.
Why tell them it's a V8 work Ute, when it isn't and doesn't have to be one, if they look into it like Vicroads does they will realise you are not telling the truth, i know as it took me around 3 months of letters to and from vicroads to get mine.
Old 28-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstar5
Yeah fully advice bro!

:
It costs you guys $130/yr for a license?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha classic line, thanks for the laugh.

QUOTE=alstar5]Yeah fully advice bro!

:[/QUOTE]
Old 29-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #15
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some really really great advice here, and if you follow it you deserve everything that happens to you. (why oh why do people give other state advice that has no bearing on the op's state)

As you are in NSW goto the RTA and get the exemption form (either download it or get it from the office).
For a work related exemption you HAVE to put the rego numbers down of the prohibited vehicles unless there are more than 5 (I'd have to check the exact number) and there has to be no non prohibited vehicles that can be used.
And don't try lieing, the RTA will check the rego numbers listed, or the number of vehicles registered in the company name.

Put the exemption in now if the existing car is in the company name, otherwise have the company buy and register a car and then put the exemption in.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

actually it costs $24

as per http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/licensingfees.html
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
Turbot

This may be what your looking for?
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/publicatio...s/45071143.pdf
Turbot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8
some really really great advice here, and if you follow it you deserve everything that happens to you. (why oh why do people give other state advice that has no bearing on the op's state)

As you are in NSW goto the RTA and get the exemption form (either download it or get it from the office).
For a work related exemption you HAVE to put the rego numbers down of the prohibited vehicles unless there are more than 5 (I'd have to check the exact number) and there has to be no non prohibited vehicles that can be used.
And don't try lieing, the RTA will check the rego numbers listed, or the number of vehicles registered in the company name.

Put the exemption in now if the existing car is in the company name, otherwise have the company buy and register a car and then put the exemption in.
Thanks for clearing that up DevilCV8 as i said to MYGT05 he needs to get in contact with the RTA and see exactly what the rules in his state were.
Old 29-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks for the help everyone, will talk to dad about it and see what way he wishes to go from here.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
As I'm sure everyone knows by now P-Platers in NSW can no longer drive V8's. So I'm thinking about applying for an exemption so i can drive dads GT, the reasoning behind it is i do a lot of driving around for dad as he is away on business a fair bit, and dad wants to buy another GT or typhoon soon but only will if i get the exemption and of course i want to! If i dont he will buy something i can drive, legally.

As dad owns a transport company and i do holiday work for him, he was thinking of saying i need to drive a V8 as he has a V8 work Ute, BUT, he doesn't have a V8 work Ute, would the RTA be likely to check if he has a V8 Ute?
Thanks
Not too smart putting this up on a public forum,anyone from the RTA could be reading it.
Noy saying dont do it,Im all for bending rules a little,but dont go shouting it from the rooftops.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #21
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate,

1st question, did you get your p's before 11 July 2005? If you did, the restrictions don't apply. If you can prove that you need to drive this car for employment purposes, then you are eligible for exception. So why is it that NEED to be driving the GT? Is the car essential to the business? Also, if your dad owned the car prior to 11 July 2005, that makes you eligible as well.

Lastly, do you own a car, in your name that is not a restricted car. Because if you do, chances are they are going to going to say "bad luck, use that car"...

Details for getting an exemption are here in section "E"... Good luck mate!
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #22
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
Mate,

1st question, did you get your p's before 11 July 2005? If you did, the restrictions don't apply. If you can prove that you need to drive this car for employment purposes, then you are eligible for exception. So why is it that NEED to be driving the GT? Is the car essential to the business? Also, if your dad owned the car prior to 11 July 2005, that makes you eligible as well.

Lastly, do you own a car, in your name that is not a restricted car. Because if you do, chances are they are going to going to say "bad luck, use that car"...

Details for getting an exemption are here in section "E"... Good luck mate!
Yes we owned the car prior to July 11 2005, we more than likely wouldn't of bought the car if we knew the laws were coming in.

There is no real need to be driving it apart from the fact i do alot of driving for dad while he is away on business, the business pays for fuel so if i drive his car the business pays the costs, not him personally.

I dont have a car in my name, my car is in the business name.

It's more so my dad that wants me to get the exemption as he wants another GT or Typhoon and the only reason we havnt bought one yet is i cant drive it so we havnt decided what else to buy. If i get an exemption we will buy another FPV.
Old 29-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

[QUOTE=MYGT05]

QUOTE]

You wont get an Exemption, they will just tell you to drive your current car...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 01:02 AM   #24
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

[QUOTE=D1XR2C]
Quote:

QUOTE]

You wont get an Exemption, they will just tell you to drive your current car...
Which is what i was expecting, im not fussed.

Thanks everyone.
Old 30-07-2007, 03:47 AM   #25
SiKoRa_eL_97

good luck!!
Keep pestering about it :P

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #26
red_hotxr6
Banned

How long before you are legally allowed to drive a v8, 5, 10 years, geez, the laws are in place for a reason, and you want to circumnavigate them, hold the phone bide your time and soon you will be allowed to drive a v8. :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd still appy for the exemption although I'm dubious you'd get it. It's only going to cost you $25.00 to find out.
My brother in law who lives in western NSW lost his licence and his partner who is on P plates applied so that she could legally drive his v8 Holden ute as that was the only vehicle they owned. The RTA did not consider that sufficient reason to give her an exemption.
Regards,
Tote
Old 30-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #28
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
How long before you are legally allowed to drive a v8, 5, 10 years, geez, the laws are in place for a reason, and you want to circumnavigate them, hold the phone bide your time and soon you will be allowed to drive a v8. :
If he wasn't using it for work use, then Yes, bite the tounge get over it.

But if it was me, I'd much rather be using company car that is on company fuel then mine own which drives up my kms and uses my fuel!! Thats where the law fails to help us, and people say we arn't targeted.
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #29
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Which is what i was expecting, im not fussed.

Thanks everyone.

Im in the same boat as you.
I cant drive my dads tornado, its a work vehicle and I work for him, they didnt give me an exzemption?? :

Its a win win situation for me though :
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post