Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Thumbs down Wheels Full Of Shite?

Reading the latest edition of Wheels with the "BOSS 320" on the cover I'm starting to question the credibility of the reporting in Wheels magazine.

The cover story on the BOSS 320 seems to be very speculative with no real hard technical details merely a statement that Ford is aiming for 310kw and an opinion by Rob Herrod of how the BOSS could make 320kw at 6600rpm.

Further more the sensationalist report last issue on the HSV GTSR with the 385kw 7 litre V8 has this issue been discounted with HSV denying the rumours with there likely to be no GTS-R for the Sydney Motor Show and around a 50% chance that it will actually go into production.

I'm starting to think that Wheels doesn't really have any "inside knowledge" and they simply roam internet forums find something that sounds reasonable and slap it on their front cover.

I remember not long ago we had a thread on here about the possibility of Holden using the direct injection V6 as a performane six variant of the Commodore largely based on hearsay and behold the latest edition of Wheels has a report on the possibility of DI V6 in the Commodore.

I am willing to eat my words but the fact that nobody else has reported on the BOSS 320 including sites like Drive and Autospeed which usually have the jump on Wheels is concerning.

What if Ford in reality release a GT with less than 320kw?? That will be very embarrasing indeed.

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Yeah I wont believe it until I see it. Wheels have a long history of being off the mark.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I think you find the 320kw scenario pretty accurate...100% accurate.

As were the "rubbish bin" drawings of the upcoming FPV Orion variants...
Old 26-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find that Mellor tends to break the news first, and usually quite accurately too. It also has the advantage of being a weekly publication - and free.

I sometimes find that the Wheels magazine is a bit of a rehash of many of the articles that Mellor has already broken, but that said, I still usually buy Wheels with the exception of the last couple of months. The whole VE thing is getting a bit repeditive.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Reading the latest edition of Wheels with the "BOSS 320" on the cover I'm starting to question the credibility of the reporting in Wheels magazine.

The cover story on the BOSS 320 seems to be very speculative with no real hard technical details merely a statement that Ford is aiming for 310kw and an opinion by Rob Herrod of how the BOSS could make 320kw at 6600rpm.
You need to read it again, it say ford is believed to be aiming for 320kw and are currently at 310. No where did it say they were aiming for 310kw
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm starting to think that Wheels doesn't really have any "inside knowledge" and they simply roam internet forums find something that sounds reasonable and slap it on their front cover.
I agree. It seems most of the rumours are posted here first and Wheels (and Motor also) slap some CGI's together and rehash the stories from here and other forums.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

Further more the sensationalist report last issue on the HSV GTSR with the 385kw 7 litre V8 has this issue been discounted with HSV denying the rumours with there likely to be no GTS-R for the Sydney Motor Show and around a 50% chance that it will actually go into production.

I remember not long ago we had a thread on here about the possibility of Holden using the direct injection V6 as a performane six variant of the Commodore largely based on hearsay and behold the latest edition of Wheels has a report on the possibility of DI V6 in the Commodore.

I am willing to eat my words but the fact that nobody else has reported on the BOSS 320 including sites like Drive and Autospeed which usually have the jump on Wheels is concerning.

What if Ford in reality release a GT with less than 320kw?? That will be very embarrasing indeed.

i agree with you, it's propaganda, probably at a huge price tag to ford, to market propaganda, "WHEELS" have no credibility in my book, and i think they have journalism based on the highest bidder. I THINK FORD HAVE PROBABLY UTILISED THIS TRAIT, and had them print off this story, i wont elaborate further . but well written mate. :
ps i didn't even bother buying the mag . i usually screen in the newsagents then purchase. wheels is less and less on my shopping list lately, but i still purchase the mag occasionally, but not this time.

Last edited by gtfpv; 26-07-2007 at 06:35 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
2tufracing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have some hope boys... maybe then it will keep up to a VE GTS or atleast an SS
FG F6 UTE #327 Orange Poke
XW GS FALCON FOR SALE
2tufracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tufracing
have some hope boys... maybe then it will keep up to a VE GTS or atleast an SS
the day a ford beats a holden in a wheels mag, i'll pierce my schlong !!!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the day a ford beats a holden in a wheels mag, i'll pierce my schlong !!!!
Will that be a stud or just a needle?

Wheels will cream itself over Orion best yet, a new standard in Aussie cars, the final fling, etc and will give it 2008 COTY. Please define beat so we can understand the critera you will inflict such pain upon yourself for.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would think he refers to the day that Wheels stops bashing Ford and starts criticising Holden.

I would love a magazine to expose the *shocking truth* to Australians about Toyotas. They're boring! That won't happen...
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
XR8putts

Short answer to your question;

Yes, Wheels Magazine is full of Sh!t.

Not a doubt in my mind.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
irsa76
Snoopping

And MOTOR is a quality read? Wasn't there a couple of journos that were regulars on the old forum?
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
And MOTOR is a quality read? Wasn't there a couple of journos that were regulars on the old forum?
Neither are worth buying in my View.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quite often Wheels/Motor have no freakin idea what they are talking about and just make up crap to sell mags. I mean they have absolutely no effing idea about the power figures of the xr6 turbo and xr8, they just put in there what people would like to see. When photoshops make the front covers as "scoops", I think a little credibility goes out the window. Even if ford/fpv bring out those exact power figures, it would be pure coincidence.

Also does anyone actually know if all the fpvs will look like those "rubbish tip" photos ? I mean the F6 looks different to the GTs now, wouldnt surprise me if it was just the Phoon that had the black inserts.
Old 26-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #16
FPV70

Wheels and Motor are the same owners and they are complete opposites as far as one is more bias to Ford and to Holden.
I am waiting for another 2 Mags to come out that are Bias to Toyota and Mitsubishi (which I think would be interesting to see if Toyota wins in the Magazine sales race followed by holden at 14% share and Ford in 3rd with 12% share)lol.
I Don't blame Wheels/Motor for being Bias cause for them it's all about sales aswell.
Ford and Holden sell for these mags cause wether or not you drive one of them, they are a big focal point of Australian motoring and those that have their allegence will buy the corresponding mag for what they want to hear.
It's a shame it's not actually based on performance, build quality, value and all the other criteria and not who pays the most.
Old 26-07-2007, 11:43 PM   #17
dannyxm
was danny888

With all due respect to you Sleekism, i hope you are wrong and as Wheels have stated the GT comes out with 310 + KW, as we all would love to see.

Also as you have stated, Wheels have no idea. Them stating in the article that Ford are to bring back a push rod V8 in the Orion is evidence of that. :
dannyxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #18
dogwatch2

I dropped my subscription to Wheels about a year ago because I got sick of them having a "new" release on the cover but no actual road test inside, just the normal waffle about what the car was going to be. Whereas Motor and drive would have a test shortly after release. Also they would regularly test a high performance car and not have the acceleration figures!!
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #19
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

i find wheels to be very biased towards Holden!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
gs1973
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels and Motor Magazine are both Trash..Their articles are Written by snooty nosed Knob jockeys paid under the table by GM!
gs1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #21
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1973
Their articles are Written by snooty nosed Knob jockeys paid under the table by GM!
i don't doubt it!!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 02:54 AM   #22
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nversace
i don't doubt it!!
So just because the holden gets a good wrap a lot (which isn't all that true because they do state its flaws, in every review, without fail) It means the magazine is biased? rigged? got a hidden agenda? Wake up to yourselves guys, admit to yourself that holden has made a good car for once apart from its sluggish doggish V6, and as far as I'm concerned the SSV deserves every bit of cred it gets. Its a fantastic, fleixble base to be built apon for the 6 years of the chassis life!

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #23
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
So just because the holden gets a good wrap a lot (which isn't all that true because they do state its flaws, in every review, without fail) It means the magazine is biased? rigged? got a hidden agenda? Wake up to yourselves guys, admit to yourself that holden has made a good car for once apart from its sluggish doggish V6, and as far as I'm concerned the SSV deserves every bit of cred it gets. Its a fantastic, fleixble base to be built apon for the 6 years of the chassis life!

Stoney!
I agree, no one will be winging when orion is wiping the floor with the VE in all the motoring press.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #24
rick'o
Car Slut

...but they're selling Magazines to the general car lovers, not select enthusiasts, so their information will be more general.

And besides, what else would they do to cover the new donks?

"WE SHOW PICTURES OF NEW ORION BUT HAVE NO STORY TO GO WITH IT"

It's a by-line that would hardly sell units ;)

R
rick'o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #25
zigzagnt

don't want to sound rude but if you don't like them DON'T READ THEM and leave them to those of us who do like them.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #26
gs1973
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagnt
don't want to sound rude but if you don't like them DON'T READ THEM and leave them to those of us who do like them.
Good point mate. And don't be shy to keep your subscription to Womens Weekly either!
Old 27-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #27
zigzagnt

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1973
Good point mate. And don't be shy to keep your subscription to Womens Weekly either!

I DO NOT HAVE ONE!!
I just like wheels even if they aren't totally accurate,Just because you may read womens weekly doesn't mean i have to : :
Old 27-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #28
gs1973
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagnt
I DO NOT HAVE ONE!!
I just like wheels even if they aren't totally accurate,Just because you may read womens weekly doesn't mean i have to : :
Ha Ha! Don't get your panties up in a bunch! But wheels is the womens weekly of car mag's. If that's what you like keep reading.. :
Old 27-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #29
zigzagnt

NOW you tell me!!
Old 27-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #30
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:Wheels magazine! Not even worth using to light a fire.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post