Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
will86
FPV Mobstar

Default Snow Chain Repairs??

Hi Guys,

On my last trip to Mt Hotham a link in my snow chains busted and i need to get a new one welded in.....Just wondering if anyone knows where i might get them fixed?? The chains came with replacement links, but they are made of a hardened steel so fixing them myself is right out the window as they need to be welded where the link comes together?

Thanks
WiLL

2007 BF MkII F6 Tornado!!! Build #0086......Winter White, M6, Leather, 1 Pce Hard Tonneu, 19" Dark Agent Rims, FPV Mats and Tint.....

My Work on the Car:

- Ford Bluetooth HandsFree Kit
- Hard Tonneu Central Locking kit intergrated to 'Boot Release' Factory sedan keypad
- Hayman Reece 2300kg towpac Fitted correctly into the rear bar!! by myself
will86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
meg

take em to your local panel shop, they generally have the welders required to do the job. I'd offer but it's a long drive to sydney to get chains welded.
meg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
ae93gti
Starter Motor

Will, am just doing a chain hunt now for a BF XR6T with standard 17s.

Did you get some chains for the Tornado?

I read the other thread about your uncle I think it was. How did he get on with chains?

Of course I've left it right to the last minute, going up this Friday arvo.

Rang Roof Rack City in Sydney, and they said the Konig Magic T2 would fit the tyre ok, but would damage the car.

Any help appreciated. thanks
ae93gti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
will86
FPV Mobstar

Hi Mate!!

yea i did get a set of chains for my ute, except i went about it abit differently....so as to not damage the rear end i bought a set of 17" Territory Steel wheels that come on the base model....got 2 of them second hand from The Tire Factory for 40 bucks each...the expensive bit was gettin tires for them....my Dad looked up the tire index book that he has n told me i needed 245/45R17 tires....so that the diameter was only 2mm smaller than the 19s n their tyre, so it doesnt effect speedo....245/45 is a rare size, so the Maxxis tyres where $270 a pop

And on them i put Group 100 sized snow chains, fitted like a dream....The wheels i bought DO fit over the single piston PBR rear end, and i wouldnt be surprised if they went over the 4 Piston Brembo....if anyone is despirate to find out ill try them on the front of my car n let u all kno.

To answer ur question, u can get so called "rim protecting" chains, but they still rub and scuff ur rims, like they did on my uncles car (he was ****ed off)..

Your best bet would be to call around a few tire shops, find someone who can sell you 2 of the Territory 17s, i got mine from TTF in Geelong, but as i live in melbourne they were delivered to the one in Thomastown, get the same sized wheels as wats on ur XR but cheaper, maybe even second hand...

Failing that, u can try your luck with chains on ur current wheels, ull need Group 100 size (is what goes on my dads BA XR8 17s anyway), the 17s have abit more rubber and less wheel, so they might not scuff for u, but specify u want rim protecting chains when u hire them

Pointer, to minimise damage or stop it at all, put ur chains on properly, drive for 50m, get out and tighten them...drive again for 200m, and tighten them again....get those barstards as tight as u can!!

i hope this helps mate, if u want more info yell out

WiLL
2007 BF MkII F6 Tornado!!! Build #0086......Winter White, M6, Leather, 1 Pce Hard Tonneu, 19" Dark Agent Rims, FPV Mats and Tint.....

My Work on the Car:

- Hard Tonneu Central Locking kit intergrated to 'Boot Release' Factory sedan keypad
Old 25-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
ae93gti
Starter Motor

Hi Will,

Sounds like you've got it sorted. Great out come and thanks for posting with your findings.

Been tempted into buying a set of Konig chains if I can find them in Sydney although by all accounts they are expensive. Looks like they have some 9 and 10mm clearance ones which sound like a good idea.

Konig website (need to click on pull down and select English :voldar02: I didn't see it the first time, very amusing trying to navigate in italian)

Anyway, thanks for the info, cheers, Richard

Last edited by ae93gti; 25-07-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 25-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
will86
FPV Mobstar

no worries mate, hope it helped ya Heres my F6 with the stockies, i painted them black

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=32970

My Work on the Car:

Old 25-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
ae93gti
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by will86
no worries mate, hope it helped ya Heres my F6 with the stockies, i painted them black

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=32970
You couldn't post a bigger pic could you? Can't really see much as it's a bit small, but I get the idea and on a white ute it looks good.
Old 26-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
will86
FPV Mobstar

http://users.tpg.com.au/willhome//DSC02068.JPG

Does this work??

My Work on the Car:

Old 26-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That worked mate, jeeze, just a bit of snow ey!
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
will86
FPV Mobstar

hahah yea!!! best season in years they are saying, and thats taken in Dinner Plain!

My Work on the Car:

Old 31-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
ae93gti
Starter Motor

Great pic, those black wheels do look good on white!

Yep, I can confirm the snow is good, at least it was on the weekend just past. Perisher was fantastic.