Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #31
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
How do you go with that bloody BP roundabout in peak hour? I hate that with a passion, that needs to be traffic lights I reckon.
Yeah I can't stand that too, driving home from work around 5 - 5:30 it's unreal trying to get through that round about haha.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #32
XT2XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
I blame the parents, they just aren't strict enough nowdays. I would have been strapped within an inch of my life for even thinking of pulling a stunt like that when i was his age.

Not saying my parents were sadists. I never got a thashing I didn't deserve and it always made me think twice about my actions afterwards.

Bring back corporal punishment.
So right gocruzin, kids of today are told all this ******** and think they can do what they want at these young ages. I got my butt kicked big time when I did really bad things and I would never have thought of doing this stuff. On the other hand my aunty treated my cousin (same age) like an adult from an early age and she has been to court for many things and is a drug taking moron. Her life is ruined and she cant fix it now.

Go back to the old days where when your parents said something you listened and they cant be arrested for kicking your butt for being a stupid child.

Tubby200 you have a point and I agree older people need to be dealt with harshly as well. They know better and if they dont they have no right sharing the roads with us. Australian laws are way to soft, our police need to be following the US police in all matters. CAn get off topic here but will leave it at that.

Last edited by XT2XR; 22-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.
XT2XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm if I was 17 again and four 16 year old girls wanted me to go for a drive I think I may have been tempted too...

Not saying its right but you can clearly see the thought process involved in this decision.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #34
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR

More training and education? Yep for sure, but more education along the lines of responsibility for actions and that actions have consequences, and make the consequences a punishment that is fitting and relevant. Might be a better start. JHMO.
Yep, but I think that a MAJOR part of any education campaign lies with parents and family. It's obviously beyond the cops and schools. This last 2 weeks has seen some major road tragedies and the message of driving stupidity hasn't even scratched the surface for some people.

Parents / carers / responsible adults need to take more of a guiding hand to assist with the overall education and healing process. Constant reinforcement at home about the issues is a damned good and powerful starting point........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I know who the driver is and one of the passengers now... I've never personally talked to the kid but he used to come around and kick the footy back to us every now and again and he's a bit of a showoff.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #36
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

I'm no neuroscientist, but I think it's well known that teenagers brains have different chemistry than adults. I guess it takes a lot to break through that. Finger wagging will never do it. Work experience in an emergency ward AND a rehab unit? I guess you could just make the driving age 21...

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #37
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Hmm if I was 17 again and four 16 year old girls wanted me to go for a drive....
Boy, I tell ya...if I were 17 again and had a car load of girs I know I would NOT be chucking hand-brakies in Macca's carpark....I'd be heading for the nearest...beach... :evil3: : :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Here's an interesting question for all to ponder.... when was the last time you heard about someone getting killed in a motor vehicle and it wasn't as a result of someone breaking the law....
Young "L" plate driver killed this morning, along with a mid '40's passenger, hit head on near Kilmore this morning. When will it end.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
I'm no neuroscientist, but I think it's well known that teenagers brains have different chemistry than adults. I guess it takes a lot to break through that. Finger wagging will never do it. Work experience in an emergency ward AND a rehab unit? I guess you could just make the driving age 21...

I'm no nucleospacesurgeon either...but making the driving age 21 would cause an increase in <21 year olds getting busted for Drive Never Held, IMHO. Kid's brains work very differently to adults in that unless they are made aware of something, then they don't know it's there. Sure - admittedly some need to find that out the hard way and death and mayhem often ensue. Actually SHOWING THEM first hand what the result of jumping THAT (wherever) roundabout at 180kph in their HEKTIK 180S might just make them think twice when the moment arrives...maybe...

I've said this before and I love quoting it; a (wise) old racing car driver once said that people often get their ambitions confused with their abilities. Now what I made of that was just because you can (do anything), doesn't mean you should and there's a time and a place for showing off/driving fast/doing tricks and a Macca's carpark is not that place; neither is when you are smashed and have a car full of your mates.

THAT bozo was the exception in that he was a recidivist offender and no amount of 'finger wagging' at the time would of mattered a hoot. But, one or more of the victims of his stupidity may have thought.."No hang on...he's a wombat...I'm not getting in that car..."

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 22-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #40
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Young "L" plate driver killed this morning, along with a mid '40's passenger, hit head on near Kilmore this morning. When will it end.

It won't.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 22-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #41
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr

That was more likely a tragic miscalculation by a novice driver rather than showing off.

As long as there are humans in control of car there will be accidents.
I just hope people will see sense one day and be more carefull, impressing people is not worth your life. and there is absolutely no excuse for drink driving.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #42
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

I do not see how we can let any person get behind the driving wheel of a car without doing an advanced driving course, even before getting your learners permit.

Not as deterrent to not speed or hoon or whatever, simply because supervising drivers have very limited control of the car, can teach you to stay on this side of the road blah, but what happens if the driver is suddenly in a situation nither driver or passenger saw coming?

Left wide open with no idea what to do. Learn how to control a car in a dangerous situation, then a school based course on learning the road rules with a much better examination then be given the chance to drive on the road with a supervising driver, and who knows, maybe the learner could "update" these supervising drivers on some of the new laws, I am always correcting my father who drives buses for a living about how some laws have changed.

If we had these facilities open to teach advanced driving courses to lots of people in more places then they could easily also be adapted to be used on non course dates for all drivers to let off a bit of "hoon" release charging small entry fee which would of course help offset the cost for the government and the learner drivers cause it will cost more, but maybe thats just what they need to reliease driving is worked for not given on a plater.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #43
jcxr
Tribal Elder

[QUOTE=gocruzin]That was more likely a tragic miscalculation by a novice driver rather than showing off.

Looks more on the side of a tragic mistake by the truck driver to overtake across double lines according to the news reports.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #44
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Yes it would seem so I remember a similar accident in bendigo which took the lives of a councilmans wife and daughter.
Brings home the message that there are idiots out sharing the roads with us, and we could be the next victims no mater how safe a driver we think we are
Old 22-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #45
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy200
supervising drivers have very limited control of the car, can teach you to stay on this side of the road blah, but what happens if the driver is suddenly in a situation nither driver or passenger saw coming?

Nobody can prepare for the unexpected no matter what the level of your skill. driver training is not the be all end all, not to say that knowelage is preferable to nievet'e but sometimes things happen on the road that no amount of training can solve.

Just keep in mind that for every one tragic accident a thousand others get to there destination safely doind the same thing.
Old 22-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #46
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The kid was under 18, the parent was a legal guardian, the parent should have copped a fine of $500.00 also.

Maybe this would deter unlicensed kids, maybe they should do that to all kids under 21 who get a major infringement.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Does it say what car he was driving? Because I know his mum has a BF GT-P.
Old 22-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #48
chrisfpv

Quote:
Does it say what car he was driving? Because I know his mum has a BF GT-P.
It's not orange is it?

That night I was driving to pick up a mate and remember seeing what looked like an orange GT pulled over by the police. Coming back and having a closer inspection, it was an orange GT-P with the plates GTP -??? I think.

Although on the way back having a look at it, it was parked and looked like it was going to be left there for the night.
Old 22-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUS
It's not orange is it?

That night I was driving to pick up a mate and remember seeing what looked like an orange GT pulled over by the police. Coming back and having a closer inspection, it was an orange GT-P with the plates GTP -??? I think.
Thats it. I see them in the IGA carpark here every now and again.
Old 22-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #50
chrisfpv

Quote:
Thats it.
Thought so.

I also remember seeing a fair few people around the car when I drove past. Such a nice car too.
Old 23-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #51
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a guy follow me without lights on the highway one night for 30 minutes at least (after I actually saw the silhouette of the car, which wasn't easy) freaking nut case that was very unnerving because he was so close that the front of his car was too close to view out the back window. In the end I sped up a bit to give myself room to stop and let him past at which point he turned his lights on and sped off, it was a EA/B :P freak
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post