Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Swaytan
Swaytan

Default New Head Unit

Hey Guys,

A couple of people here have said that there may be a reduction of sound quality with my new audio setup, due to not using an aftermarket head unit.

Well, in the next few weeks (when I get some more cash) I'll be installing this baby. Should look awesome in the Fez.

http://clarion.com/au/en/products/20...306870323.html

Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Two things

a) OMFG
b) Get an Alarm
c) Im Speechless
d) Is gonna look Fully Hektic when everything is in
e) OMFG

Good Stuff Mate. This is a fez where no expense is spared. I LIKE IT
Old 16-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Two things

a) OMFG
b) Get an Alarm
c) Im Speechless
d) Is gonna look Fully Hektic when everything is in
e) OMFG

Good Stuff Mate. This is a fez where no expense is spared. I LIKE IT
Yeah, an alarm is on the cards probably should do that before I get the head unit.

As far as "no expence spared" is concerned, I don't subscribe to the "kill two birds with one stone" theory. I'd rather do things piece by piece & spend the money where it counts. It will cost more doing it this way, but the end result will be much better.

I'm off to take a side on shot of my Fez, so I can see how the green racing stripes are gonna look...
Old 16-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
FESTEC

"PLEASE DONT DO IT" I used to work for a high end car audio shop in dandenong and we got rid of clarion as it was so un-reliable, Your factory H/U will be better quality.
FESTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only question I have is what voltage pre-outs does it have?

It looks very nice and will have better quality than your headunit (running off the preouts).
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The only question I have is what voltage pre-outs does it have?

It looks very nice and will have better quality than your headunit (running off the preouts).
This means nothing to me, read:

TUNER SECTION
Frequency bands
FM: (MHz) 0.05MHz steps 87.5 to 108
MW: (kHz) 9 kHz steps 531 to 1629
LW: (kHz) 3 kHz steps 153 to 279
FM usable sensitivity (dBf) 9
FM 50 dB quieting sensitivity (dBf) 15
FM alternate channel selectivity (dBf) 70
FM stereo separation @1 kHz (dB) 35
FM stereo freq. resp. @ ±3 dB (Hz) 30 to 15,000
CD SECTION
Wow/Flutter (WRMS) Below measurable limits
S/N ratio (dB) 90
Frequency response (Hz) 10 to 20,000
Dynamic range (dB) 90
Harmonic distortion (%) 0.01
AUDIO SECTION
Power output (+B = 14.4 V) 4 × 27 W
GENERAL
Dimensions (W × H × D), mm 178 × 100 × 160
Remote control (W × H × D), mm 44 × 113 × 13
Weight (kg) 2.2
Power consumption: less than 15 A
Speaker impedance 4Ω(4Ω to 8Ω allowable)
Old 16-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
FESTEC

It is 2 ch output with a voltage of 2 volts it is a piece of crap, "PLEASE AGAIN DO NOT BUY IT"

If you want a double din unit then save abit more and buy alpines double din dvd h/u or keep your factory one and buy rockford 3sixty.2 signal processor, trust me I would not buy a clarion at all.

Go to the alpine site and also the rocford site and have a look at the two products I have been talking about. :1syellow1 :1syellow1 :1syellow1
Old 16-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Good Stuff mate, Heres the one I'm thinking of getting

JVC Double Din DVD unit. The face comes forward so you can put a DVD in. I've been waiting for something like this to come out.

But this thread is about you!
Your HU looks cool as!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
FESTEC

Danny that is a great unit have played with it at there launch and picture is great and very easy to use, and would look great in a fez dash.
Old 16-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

What about a Pioneer DVD or Double Din all in one. I havent had any troubles with any pioneer HU so i would obviously love one, but they are a bit exxy

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...0mp/index.html

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...dvd/index.html
Old 16-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
What about a Pioneer DVD or Double Din all in one. I havent had any troubles with any pioneer HU so i would obviously love one, but they are a bit exxy

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...0mp/index.html

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_ent...dvd/index.html
Yeah, That's what the JVC one is lol......
I've had 2 pioneers, and Troubles coupled with lousy after sales service with both.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
FESTEC

Thats pioneer car audio for ya.
Old 16-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much is that JVC screen?
Old 16-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clarion make good head units. Although no double din unit is upthere with excellent sound quality it will give much better sound than the stock head unit.

I just got the single din adaptor kit from the Uk. Will post pics when its all in.
Old 16-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #15
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
How much is that JVC screen?
$1449.00 according to the JVC Australia site, check it out

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product...ls.asp?ID=1495
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
$1449.00 according to the JVC Australia site, check it out

http://www.jvc-australia.com/product...ls.asp?ID=1495
$1,195.00 @ Ryda, tell em I sent ya, they will beat ANYTHING.

http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC_Car_TV_DV...p/kwavx700.htm
Old 17-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
Nappa
Impressive...

if i was going to put a new head unit in a fez then i'd go for the Eclipse avn6000, its a GPS, DVD, CD,MP3, radio the lot with a touch screen. only $3500 installed....
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #18
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
if i was going to put a new head unit in a fez then i'd go for the Eclipse avn6000, its a GPS, DVD, CD,MP3, radio the lot with a touch screen. only $3500 installed....
Whoa, just had a look at that H/U, very goddamn impressive, don't think I could justify having $3,500 hangin out of my dash though! Would look awesome in a Fez...
Old 17-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eclipse make some good gear, I've got one of their CD MP3 players in my 4WD and it never skips even on the roughest dirt tracks.

$3500 for a head unit though?! I'm sure your insurance company will love you for that one and shaft you big time.
Old 17-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #20
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
$3500 for a head unit though?! I'm sure your insurance company will love you for that one and shaft you big time.
It only costs me $50 extra a year to insure my system so they shaft you at all.
Old 17-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #21
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about your excess- is that increased at all?
Old 17-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #22
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
What about your excess- is that increased at all?
There is a seperate excess for the sound system. So unless it gets damage you won't need to pay it. $400 normally but over 3g it increase to $800.

So really its only worth the effor if you get rear ended or they steal almost eveyrthing. For the $50 id rather the piece of mind knows its protected.
Old 20-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTEC
"PLEASE DONT DO IT" I used to work for a high end car audio shop in dandenong and we got rid of clarion as it was so un-reliable, Your factory H/U will be better quality.
Hey mate,

I aired this concern to the Ryda guys today, there answer was:

Up until a year ago, they hated Clarion stuff, didn't even try selling it to people. But they said in the last year, Clarion have really gotten their sh%t together & are now making awesome stuff.

They said that there are plenty of other brands they could give me, but one of them has the exact unit in his car & says it's awesome.

I like that JVC screen though!
Old 20-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #24
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a look at that clarion deck today. Is very nice and feels nice to use too. Would be a nice unit to have.

Clarion make excellent decks including the grand daddy of them all the HX-D2.
Old 21-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #25
FESTEC

Up to you swaytan, I sposoe in the end mate if thats what ya want then mate go for it. It does look pretty cool but I just can't get past it being a clarion.
Old 21-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #26
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a bit of a bad experience with a Clarion unit in my last car, it worked fine for about the first 6 months and then one day just decided it was no longer going to play CD's, not just one particular CD, but any CD, worked fine one day and stuffed the next, could hear the laser trying its little heart out to read the CD.....lots of whirring and spinning and retrying etc but to no avail, got it ripped out and put in the Alpine CDA-9827, chalk and cheese really, the Alpine was just awesome!!, but then that's what brand loyalty is all about isn't it, one bad experience with a particular brand can put you off for life, other people I have no doubt would sing the praises of Clarion or any other brand for that matter if they've had good experiences with it, chances are I could buy another Alpine product and it would be a piece of junk....."you pays ya money and takes ya chance."
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post