Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Has anyone imported an American Car?

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone has imported a car from the USA, or if they know of anyone who's done it. The reason I ask is that I am looking at importing a 2002 Town Car as a project, and whilst I have a customs broker and connections to get the thing here I'd like to find out about any issues getting the vehicle a compliance plate. I believe the engine is Euro3 compliant but I would have to double check that, especially since it is the same engine in the 4.6l Ford Explorer.

Also, the ADR's will have a big impact on the total cost of the vehicle so if anyone has any information I would be much obliged.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
xf pano

Dumb question, but whats a town car?
xf pano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Its a Lincoln Town Car, like our LTD's and Fairlanes except a bit more stylish, and more Luxo Barge centred. You can check them out here.
http://www.lincoln.com/towncar/home.asp

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say a 2002 model is bit too late for what MOST people are importing ; ie. 30+ year stuff not needing RHD conversion ...

Is the Town Car related to the old Crown Vic? If so, have you actually driven one? The Crown Vics I drove in during a stay in the USA were like driving about in an EA .. except an EA was nicer ..

My (useless) two cents ..

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I work with peolple that import cars from the US on a weekly basis. All years and makes. Last was a awsome 65 mustang...... But you wouldn't want to talk to me because its dark in here and johnny wont come and change the light bulb.... :
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I used to import old English motorcycles from the US. In those days (20 years ago) there was a rolling 15 year age increment which allowed unrestricted import.

There is a Fed govt website which gives some detail. I'll see if I can find it later.

My bil took delivery of a late model Dodge Ram a couple of months ago. I forget the details now but there were major problems at the conversion stage. Had to go to Melbourne and took forever down there.

I think it was more a Govt approval problem than a mechanical "hard to do" problem.

There is a Fed govt website which gives some detail. I'll see if I can find it later.

edit: found it easier than I thought...
http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.aspx
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Ive seen town cars around in limo form around, so it cant be that hard, but i would expect any change from $70,000. Hey the ways things are going with all the Fairlane doom and gloom me might end up getting town cars anyway. Sure the thing will drive like a boat, but thats what its meant to do.

If it does prove to difficult to do, and you still want a US project, you could get yourself a nice clean 1980s Cadillac Fleetwood for pretty cheap, already converted or better yet you could do up an old Australian deliverd 74 Galaxie.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Its a Lincoln Town Car, like our LTD's and Fairlanes except a bit more stylish, and more Luxo Barge centred. You can check them out here.
http://www.lincoln.com/towncar/home.asp
Are you serious?..................they look as stylish as a old Toyota Crown :
Old 30-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Thanks guys, I'll have to investigate a little further.
Thunder, you made me laugh.

Quote: