Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default Wireless Connection Problem!

Every time but can be random my wireless connection will go down to 1MBPS from 52MBPS [full connection reception]... an my internet will be unusable... verry annoying it is a
Quote:
52G Wireless / 8 port switch - manitar
any ideas to fix this problem? maybe someone has same wireless switch an can give me some tips =)?

The switch is in the room next to me, i am using my laptop with in-built wireless in the lounge room.

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Speed can be slowed down because of range and the number of walls it needs to travel through etc. If you are using it for web browsing and email it should not make any difference unless your connection to your ISP is higher than 1mb. But if you are sharing files, streaming music, and the like it can be a real problem. You can get a signal booster for about $200 that will increase the output power of your wireless access point.

Good luck with it. I am sure other forum members will be able to ad more.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

the switch is like 2 metres out of direct line but goes through 1 wall.. the door is open so not sure if that will help ... $200 is a bit out of my budget but if that's the only way it can be done then i must invest~ my connection is faster then 1mbps
Old 30-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

There might also be issues with your wireless card in your remote PC. You are right, 2 metres through one wall is neither here nor there. Harris technology have a pretty good web shop that you can have a look at to see if these boosters would be of any benefit to you. What kind of wireless security are you running, I have heard of cases where this has slowed thing down a bit, but not that much.

Good luck.
Old 30-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on a wireless network. I'm not more than 3 meters from the wireless router and I'm losing my connection intermittantly
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i think its cause i went for an al-cheapo wireless switch i am running all default settings , i also did a fireware upgrade and it helped a bit but its still getting annoying. i am running a 128 encryption i've also tried the lower encryption... running WAP
Old 30-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Perhaps the cheapie access point has something to do with it. On my access point (Netcomm NB5580W) my son has his computer in his room and has 4 walls between him and the access point, he never drops below 50meg. He hammers away at warcraft for hours and never looses connectivity. How much other interference is there. Are you near any of those large high tension power wire tower thingies.... Is your house built with steele frames?? All these things can cause problems. But if you are only trying to go 2 meters, there is definatly something wrong..... Have you tried a google search for info on your wireless equipment?
Old 30-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah netcomm,dlink etc are good brands an i should have spent the extra $$$ to get a known brand, I live right next door to the CFA and on their propertie they have a tower, and on that tower they have their hose rigs.. i think that is their communication tower as well so i'm not sure if that will affect me, my house is actually pretty old but has been renovated and been extended but i don't think there is any steel... its wooden house no brick

would certain house appliances affect my connection?

also if i try play online games i lag like crazy ... its lag like someone is downloading or i've got the slowest net in the world....thats how bad it is when i try play online games... only way to fix that is plug in my network cable... but that really isn't appropriate if i want to go out side and enjoy the weather
Old 30-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

kyro, is it adsl connection via modem/wireless router that you have?

If so, try a different channel. Also, make sure there are no cordless phones or microwave ovens between the "switch" (router??) and your laptop.

You can also try raising and lowering your router.

It should work through one wall no probs.

I shoot mine 30 metres through one plaster wall and two brick walls to my neighbours place with no probs...

You can also download Netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/ and work out where your signal is best.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah i was going to say if the microwave or cordless phones could be the problem but i thought that might be a little stupid to ask lol.. but i will disconnect microwave and cordless phone and give that a shot, this is how my network is:

phone plug > ADSL > Wireless Switch 8 port two PC's> > 8 port switch > more PC's

i can pickup a wireless switch that is probably 2 blocks away(2 bars) and next doors wireless ...

i will try flick through the channels again, but last time i did that i had to restore to default settings cause i wasn't able to get connected
Old 30-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
i will try flick through the channels again, but last time i did that i had to restore to default settings cause i wasn't able to get connected
try channels 3, 6, 11 for an hour each and see how it goes.
You might find that sitting your router a bit higher will help. Mine seems to work best at 6' -7' from the floor.
Old 30-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not 100% sure with wireless , well i wont be going that direction until someone builds a tower (not an antenna and i dont like wireless routers too much interuption)...anyways with your prob try surfing the net or whatever in the room or outside the room but with a direct(visible sight) of the router...if same prob occurs then its your comp or the router

if all good id suggest updating your software
Windows XP SP2
whatever software for your wireless card
update your firmware
u can get cheap boosters from almost anywhere
and never use wireless around brass or copper and someother metals otherwise forget about signal srength

thats all i no unless u go WIRED LAN and wireless when u need to
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry i forgot with wireless make sure u got a WEP or something and u filter with mac addresses otherwise u could be sharing your bandwidth with other people
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #14
ronwest

something else I thought of Kyro, if you are using the default connection program that came with the router, uninstall it and use the XP wireless connection program (that's if you are using XP).

If you are using the XP thingy, uninstall it and use the wireless routers's connection program.

I've got 8 computers here - 6 on wired lan and 2 on wireless. One of the wireless connections will not work (keeps dropping out) on the router's (Netgear) connection but works perfectly with the XP connection prog.