Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:37 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Is there a trade-off with using it? Like, extra watering or careful monitoring of soil?

Having recently smashed my 70 year old rhododendrons, it’s been super-satisfying to watch them develop healthy new growth - but as you inferred, it took about 2-3 weeks before recovery was identifiable.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is there a trade-off with using it? Like, extra watering or careful monitoring of soil?

Having recently smashed my 70 year old rhododendrons, it’s been super-satisfying to watch them develop healthy new growth - but as you inferred, it took about 2-3 weeks before recovery was identifiable.
The product is called Osmoform, designed for rapid greening and growth.

https://icl-sf.com/global-en/product...-osmoform-nxt/

We typically use this to give a plant a lift if it's been in the nursery for a while, or when we have cut something back and want it to put on growth and become salable again quickly. Some plants respond within days, some take longer, as in a couple of weeks. It also has a nice feature in that when it wets down, it clumps together and holds in the pot, even if blown over by the wind. Osmocote on the other hand will simply fall out.

There are some key things to be careful of when using a product like this:

-First, unlike Osmocote which is encapsulated and designed to release slowly, Osmoform is raw and is designed to have an immediate effect. The tradeoff here is that it can burn foliage if not used carefully. This is mostly a problem on plants with foliage covering the pot surface, a groundcover for example. I like to either water it into the soil or make a small hole in the soil, fill it with the product and cover it over with a small amount of potting mix.

-Osmoform really needs to be measured out for the pot size. Too much and you have the possibility of frying the plant or causing to grow too quickly (see below). Too little and you are wasting your time. We have a gram rate per pot size.

-Because this fertilizer acts so quickly, it can cause "soft" growth that is more prone to heat, cold and pest and disease. This is where careful/accurate dosing comes into the equation.

For the most part, Osmoform can be used on all plants, including natives. However, I have noticed some plants react better to it than others, in which case I may decide to instead trade off the speed of Osmoform and go with the slower acting Osmocote instead.

A good product, one that has transformed this part of the business.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Really handy information, thanks. I’ll guess it also brings up adjacent growth (weeds) faster - this could be a useful side effect.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

What was supposed to be an order for a replacement seal kit for my Solo 456 sprayer turned into something a bit more elaborate.................

https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...cf4a700f&_ss=r

The Solo Eazy 206 is a battery powered sprayer which uses a small 10.8V / 2.5 Ah lithium-ion battery. The tank holds 6 liters and will offer just under 3 hours of spraying from a single charge.

Solo also offer the 406Li 6 Liter sprayer, but the pump runs constantly, not shutting off when the trigger is released. The Eazy 206 on the other hand does, while also offering more consistent pressure. On the 206, I also like the carry handle independent of the lid.

https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...cf4a700f&_ss=r

The worst thing about weed spraying is pumping up the bottle and the time that wastes. Hopefully this improves my efficiency.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post