Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

I'm undertaking a Mental Health First Aid course for work. Currently doing the online study prior to the face to face session late next week.

A stat on suicides that surprised me:

Males accounted for 76% of suicides.

Among males, the highest rate of suicide was in those aged 85 years and over, while the lowest was in those aged under 19 years.

I know we have a large male cohort on these forums. Gents, you are more likely to suicide than your female partners, relatives and friends. And, if you're in an older cohort, you're more likely again.

Please, please talk to someone if you are feeling depressed or considering suicide. Rest assured, you're not the only one to feel this way. It is far more common than you think. And most people are able to overcome their depression and return to having a healthy mental condition, especially after seeking help.

Look after yourselves and your mates around you.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I'm undertaking a Mental Health First Aid course for work. Currently doing the online study prior to the face to face session late next week.

A stat on suicides that surprised me:

Males accounted for 76% of suicides.

Among males, the highest rate of suicide was in those aged 85 years and over, while the lowest was in those aged under 19 years.

I know we have a large male cohort on these forums. Gents, you are more likely to suicide than your female partners, relatives and friends. And, if you're in an older cohort, you're more likely again.

Please, please talk to someone if you are feeling depressed or considering suicide. Rest assured, you're not the only one to feel this way. It is far more common than you think. And most people are able to overcome their depression and return to having a healthy mental condition, especially after seeking help.

Look after yourselves and your mates around you.
I'm guessing this because older males feel they can't talk about depression. It's something I have found working with an older generation of males, they just ignore it.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm guessing this because older males feel they can't talk about depression.
^good point!

Maybe they're depressed because all their friends are dead and they got no kids, or even worse, have buried their own child ( nothing worse IMO ).

When I can remember I start-up a convo with a random old *&^&. It makes them feel alive again in such a fast-paced world. But do it in a positive way so it makes them talk about their good old days. You can instantly see from their expressions they look and sound younger.

Hopefully I'm gonna be an old &*&^ one day.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This is me all bar one of those signs...........

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: