Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Battery problems.

Im having problems when Im trying to start my car lately. It only just kicks over and Im thinking its the battery. It is worse when I have been driving, stop, then try and start my car again. It took five full attempts to get it going at the supermarket today before I heard an electrical zapping sound, then it kicked over really slow, but started. Anyone have any idea? :

Old 20-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
mattsAU1

had a similar prob with mine but my battery was cactus from listening to music for too long with out starting the car to give the battery time to recharge, worst case senario i think it could be your alternator, not charging the battery as u r driving. jus a few ideas, hope it helps mate
good luck
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
My AU

Matt could be right. But in the mean time get a wire brush and clean up your battery terminals. Put some Vaseline on and reattach the connectors.
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
My AU

Vaseline on the battery terminals, I mean! LOL
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im having problems when Im trying to start my car lately. It only just kicks over and Im thinking its the battery. It is worse when I have been driving, stop, then try and start my car again. It took five full attempts to get it going at the supermarket today before I heard an electrical zapping sound, then it kicked over really slow, but started. Anyone have any idea? :
Today's batteries are only supposed to last 3 years max! Do yourself a favour & get a new one. Shop around though because price varies dramatically. I have been down your track & stuffed around with cleaning, additives,vaseline, clamps, etc in the past but when the battery is dieing nothing will help.
Old 21-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks. Im getting a brand Newie today Ill tell you how it goes.
Old 21-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #7
iwannaford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
Today's batteries are only supposed to last 3 years max!
Todays Vehicles only allow the batteries to last 3 years max.. The internal design of a battery is still the same as 30 years ago. 30 Years ago, a car had the motor, a fan attached to a belt and a generator/alternator. The only thing running off the battery was the lighting, and the radio. Todays car has Electrics, fuel pump, injectors, sensors, ecus, digital instrumentation, alarms, etc etc.. Causing the battery to cycle, this has a declining affect on the batteries overall life.
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Ok, I got a new battery, but the terminals are on the wrong side, so I have to take it back to get another one. I put my old one on charge and cleaned it right up, re-connected it and it was still a bit doughy. Im starting to think its not the battery, but something else. It will just sit there ticking, so I turn it all the way off, on again, ticking, ticking nothing, turn it off and it will fire straight up. What does this sound like to you guys? Im still getting a new battery to put in, but I dont think it will fix my problem.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Ok, I got a new battery, but the terminals are on the wrong side, so I have to take it back to get another one. I put my old one on charge and cleaned it right up, re-connected it and it was still a bit doughy. Im starting to think its not the battery, but something else. It will just sit there ticking, so I turn it all the way off, on again, ticking, ticking nothing, turn it off and it will fire straight up. What does this sound like to you guys? Im still getting a new battery to put in, but I dont think it will fix my problem.

A very low/drained battery will cause this clicking noise you are on about when trying to start the car , make sure you purchase the exact right battery for the car , 1 with enough cold cranking amps etc etc .

If you get a New battery and you know its fine for sure and you still get like a clicking sounds then it maybe a faulty main earth lead or a rooted starter motor , usually that clicking sound you can hear is the solenoid on the started motor when a battery is fine/fully charged .
gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Your battery might seem fine, it may charge up ok, but there may be a cell or two that are stuffed.

I may be corrected, but it's not the volts you need so much but the amps.

You may have good voltage, but not enough cells working to crank out the amps you need.

*GK waits at the computer for electrical dudes to correct him on electrical theory and practice!* LOL!

I'd still bet it's the battery though, and easy and cheap enough to change.

All the best with it, KUP (keep us posted)

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thanks. I will try and get the other battery tomorow and see how it goes. I just hope it isnt my starter motor or anything.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Thanks. I will try and get the other battery tomorow and see how it goes. I just hope it isnt my starter motor or anything.
Ensure you get a decent brand not the very cheap ones available for $40 at SuperCheap and the like.

I've used and been extremely happy with Bosch and Exide. The exide one currently in my wagon looks good (vanity) and has a little led which indicates the charge condition. It also has really good grab handles too, which was handy when I put it in.

Its an Exide Evolution or Platinum (not exactly sure as the battery shroud has the other details covered) but its part number is E550H.

Cheers,

GK
Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

My old Corolla used to cook batteries for breakfast on what seemed a regular basis only brand I found that it couldn't cook was a Yuasa (the guys that own Century) unbelievable battery.

So far /touchwood I haven't had to do a battery in the falcon yet.

I would highly recommend the Yuasa or Century ones.

Cheers

Chris
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Its all over guys. Got a new battery, chucked it in and its as good as gold. I spent the whole morning in the driveway trying to start it and all it done was tick, tick, tick, tick. But all is now well. Thanks for your support guys.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
with cleaning, additives,vaseline, clamps, etc .
haha that sounds filthy...... :
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Its all over guys. Got a new battery, chucked it in and its as good as gold. I spent the whole morning in the driveway trying to start it and all it done was tick, tick, tick, tick. But all is now well. Thanks for your support guys.
Glad it worked out. What battery did you get for it in the end?

GK
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

glad to hear ya problem fixed ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post