Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
cisco
Starter Motor

Default Hey guys

Hi All you AU fanatics.

Great forums you have going here, well done.

I know bucky/bucknaked from work - gee he's a good bloke! And have been reading a bit in here, but haven't posted anything yet.

We just recently bought a bargain AUII Fairmont. Its actually my girlfriend's car.

I love it though. The Fairmont is just tops to go cruising in etc. Nice car, still looks brand new and plenty of torque on tap from the big I6 etc.

I also have a fairly modified nissan micra, no current pics - coming soon. But it puts out a bit more power than the falcon, from its 1.3L engine. Bucknaked is always telling me to posts some pics/stats up here about it. Will try to soon.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the forums here, and I love the AUs.

I'll try to come along to an AU cruise sometime.

Cheers

You can check out the micra web site at : www.micra.com.au

cisco.

cisco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome aboard!

And if you didn't see my other welcome rules, they are as follows...

1) You will spend no less than $500.00 on modifications suggested for your vehicle by our members.
2) You will loathe anything that carries the marque of the dark side
3) You do not, i repeat, not, under ANY cicrumstances say anything bad about AU's
4) Have Fun!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I also have a fairly modified nissan micra...
Why would yo do that? :yeees:

Welcome to the madhouse, and if you think Bucky is a good bloke, you must be a nutter, so you will fit right in.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
cisco
Starter Motor

The micra is a personal hobby/interest of mine. Its very fun to drive.

Heh thanks. Just took some photos of the Fairmont.

Will try to post a link shortly.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

Welcome to the forums mate..

a warning though..its addictive. lol have fun.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
cisco
Starter Motor

Cheers mate, thanks.

Here's some pics I took of the car this morning: http://www.micra.com.au/fairmont.php
Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

A relative of the wifes has a Micra. He wasnt impressed when I asked him what he thought the car would grow into when it was older. I suggested it might be the embryonic stage of a Lada 4WD.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

i got a AU 2 Fairmont as well. you'll love it....
Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Cisco

Glad to see you have finally made here. Theres some weirdo around here. Some people to watch out for are JC. Then theres JC. And another springs to mind. His name is JC.

The fairmont looks nice. I'd love to see you some cheap parts, but they are all on JC's car.

The Micra is a great car. I've been in it. While it's not as fast as my XR6, it goes alright : Actually, it has more at the front wheels than JC's XR8 has at the rear wheels, and twice as much as the wagon.

Cheers

Dwayne
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Nice faimont, i really like it, very clean and with only 54000kms o.m.g.... you have plenty more i mean plenty more kms to happily put on :eclipsee_ . Nice buy.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
BlackLS

Can I ask why you used a E15ET gearbox for your Micra? That gearbox is world reknown as a weak gearbox. The N13 LSD Gearbox would have suited better?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Oh god no it's the Cisco kid and his sidekick Pancho (bucky) show.......
Riding off in the sunset in the Micra !!!
Nah welcome mate and enjoy the AU family !

ps. Bucky ? I notice your sig passionately thanks Mr Tickford ! which is so true, why do I notice you are lerking in the carsales bagt sales ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
cisco
Starter Motor

Cheers SIKSIX,

BlackLS, not sure where you read that I used an E15ET gearbox? Its not from an E15ET.

The N13 LSD gearbox is a completely different bell-housing pattern and does not bolt up. Internally, they are a 31 series box anyway, which is the same as what I have upgraded to - just that mine has the N14 (FB40 series) bell housing so it fits K11s, N14, N15 etc.

Mine is a 31 series gearbox (RS5F31V). Its what was factory fitted in a Japanese N14 GA16DE. Basically the more modern 1.6 litre pulsars etc. It was factory fitted to the K11 March/Micra overseas in Japan and parts of Europe (Netherlands) where there was lots of snow - and mine is one of the Japanese ones along with matching factory driveshafts. The 31 series gearbox has a wider (stronger) gearset than the micra's factory 30 series box. If you go any bigger, i.e. to a 32 series box from the SR, for starters they simply don't fit, again the bell housing is way off, but they get a bit too heavy too.

I stripped every tooth off second gear on the factory 30 series box. Hence the upgrade and bonus LSD. http://www.micra.com.au/boosted-gearbox.php
Old 05-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
ps. Bucky ? I notice your sig passionately thanks Mr Tickford ! which is so true, why do I notice you are lerking in the carsales bagt sales ?
Just looking. I like to compare the price of the Cheapest BAGT with the number of Pennies in Connors piggy bank. So far I'm about 43,000 pennies short. And to make matters worst, they took the penny out of circulation about 50 years ago. So I can't get any more :

Remember the LG Hooker Ad "Thankyou Mr Hooker" Mr Tickford sounds way better.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Now you are calling LG a hooker ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #16
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

welcome cisco. that micra your selling looks very nice too i must say! it just seems to be missing a blue thing on the front...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Hi cisco , welcome to AFF . Great bunch of people here ..

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Now you are calling LG a hooker ... hee hee
I heard LG was a pretty boy, so I just put 2 and 2 together. There ya have it :
Old 06-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Actually, it has more at the front wheels than JC's XR8 has at the rear wheels, and twice as much as the wagon.
Yes Bucky it does - around 8kw more than the XR but only 1.5 times the wagon, not twice. So power to weight, I wouldn't stand a chance.

BUT, let's hook a 17 foot boat on the back of each and then go. I know at least I'll be moving forwards.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 07-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
cisco
Starter Motor

You're dead right. Horses for courses.

The micra cannot tow anything huge like that. Traction in the wet is pretty ordinary, 3rd gear spins easily, 4th possibly would now also (haven't tried since the latest tune was done).

Its a fun animal to drive in dry conditions, providing you're not towing anything etc. Still very fun in the wet, but you just can't go all that fast, although the LSD makes it a bit better than it was without it

I calculated the torque figure, it makes about 310Nm peak torque. Not bad from a 1.3! But because of the current T28BB turbo (which is quite large for the 1.3), it has a very sudden/steep torque curve, so it doesn't make that peak torque for very long. My old turbo (T25) had a much flatter torque curve, but had less top end and was pushing out hot air because the turbo was being pushed for every last psi boost.

I am thoroughly enjoying having the AU Fairmont - something big with real torque at virtually any RPM, can tow things with ease, has oodles of comfort to spread out in.. Loving it. Totally the opposite of the micra, but I still love both cars for different reasons.

Thanks for the welcome guys..
Old 07-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Love this for different reasons:

http://media.putfile.com/Diablo-19mb

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
You're dead right. Horses for courses.

The micra cannot tow anything huge like that. Traction in the wet is pretty ordinary, 3rd gear spins easily, 4th possibly would now also (haven't tried since the latest tune was done).

Its a fun animal to drive in dry conditions, providing you're not towing anything etc. Still very fun in the wet, but you just can't go all that fast, although the LSD makes it a bit better than it was without it

I calculated the torque figure, it makes about 310Nm peak torque. Not bad from a 1.3! But because of the current T28BB turbo (which is quite large for the 1.3), it has a very sudden/steep torque curve, so it doesn't make that peak torque for very long. My old turbo (T25) had a much flatter torque curve, but had less top end and was pushing out hot air because the turbo was being pushed for every last psi boost.

I am thoroughly enjoying having the AU Fairmont - something big with real torque at virtually any RPM, can tow things with ease, has oodles of comfort to spread out in.. Loving it. Totally the opposite of the micra, but I still love both cars for different reasons.

Thanks for the welcome guys..
Have you taken it (the micra) for a hit at wakefield? I reckon it would eat the track up.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
BlackLS

Quote:
Cheers SIKSIX,

BlackLS, not sure where you read that I used an E15ET gearbox? Its not from an E15ET.

The N13 LSD gearbox is a completely different bell-housing pattern and does not bolt up. Internally, they are a 31 series box anyway, which is the same as what I have upgraded to - just that mine has the N14 (FB40 series) bell housing so it fits K11s, N14, N15 etc.

Mine is a 31 series gearbox (RS5F31V). Its what was factory fitted in a Japanese N14 GA16DE. Basically the more modern 1.6 litre pulsars etc. It was factory fitted to the K11 March/Micra overseas in Japan and parts of Europe (Netherlands) where there was lots of snow - and mine is one of the Japanese ones along with matching factory driveshafts. The 31 series gearbox has a wider (stronger) gearset than the micra's factory 30 series box. If you go any bigger, i.e. to a 32 series box from the SR, for starters they simply don't fit, again the bell housing is way off, but they get a bit too heavy too.

I stripped every tooth off second gear on the factory 30 series box. Hence the upgrade and bonus LSD. http://www.micra.com.au/boosted-gearbox.php
Sorry dude I must of been reading another members car.

LOL go Nissan FWD gearboxes! The 1st in my old N12 Pulsar looked a bit like that after an attempted 4500rpm lauch
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post