Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
tourinea

Default Dizzy Transplant Troubles

I am wondering if EA's need some sort of start up sequence for the ECU after changing distributor as mine repeatedly cutout for about 1/2 an hour after performing one. (It started but stalled straight away).It gave a few coughs again within the next hour or so of city driving,but been fine since.I asume it is electrical as it responded equally on both lpg and petrol. I didnt disconect the battery when I did the dizzy work,could this add to the situation? The new dizzy has improved responsiveness noticeably.
Thanks guys Ive learned heaps from others Threads :

tourinea is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
MAD
Petro-sexual

are you certain you have set the timing correctly?
Old 21-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
tourinea

As sure as I can be as It is the same as it was before as I checked before I started ..To the piont of a more steady mark
Cheers
Old 21-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

Well there is no routine to follow after installing a dizzy, if its in right, it should be right.

Have you checked/changed your plugs, leads, rotor button and dizzy cap?
Old 21-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Did you use a used dizzy or a new one. if a used one was used it may be faulty.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
tourinea

A new one albeit a nongenuine jobbie
Old 21-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Coils can be a real problem on the e series cars, they normally have cracks under the mounting brackets when they are stuffed or on their way out.

What did you pay for the new dizzy?

Old 21-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #8
tourinea

Bought dizzy on ebay was $50.00 plus postage

I find it wierd that it is all ok now,am wondering if the map sensor can be intermitantly faulty as the repair manual indicates the same symptoms
but will look at the coil tomorrow cheers.
I also thought about poor, early contact within the plug to dizzy
Plugs are about 5-6 weeks old leads and cap unknown as was on car when purchased 5 months ago but look ok
Old 21-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
MAD
Petro-sexual

If this is the one with the red cap, I hope you threw out the cap and spacer and put on a real one that has a timing marking on it.
Also, check that the metal plate inside for the hall sensor has the pin locating it properly on the shaft. You'll se where it should be if its not there.

I bought one of these and over a couple of weeks the car started to run worse, which upon inspection was because the pin was not there and as such the plate had spun a tiny bit on the shaft throwing the timing out. so I riped out the hall sensor and tfi module and put them onto a genuine body.
Old 21-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
tourinea

Yes it is one of those and yes the cap died a natural as I attempted to install the leads so it went awol
thanks for the tip on the pin,I will look at it tomorrow as well.
It will not be advisable to do as you did as my old dizzy is past it.
Old 22-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The ones on ebay did not seem to have much of a thermal paste on the TFI either IMO.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #12
tourinea

The other day it stopped and gave the symptoms of a faulty map sensor so I setup the self-diagnosious. It gave many faults including Map sensor,Throttle position switch,coolant temp,ISC motor..all crook so I was suspiscious and replaced the olf dissy and it leaped to life with no faults .. How can this be?
Old 27-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It could be a dodgy computer, they are starting to show up as problems but normally idle related.