Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here
Default removing auto gear knob on ef

How do I take the knob off my shifter?? it has a bolt on it but it won't turn and I wanna make sure this is how it comes off before I go and break it

Also the shifter sort of moves from side to side and sometimes need to be pushed to the left in order to start. is this a loose gate and if so how do I fix it??

Old 25-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

Loosen the nut under the handle bit - only a flat or so, and then unscrew the handle...only the handle screws off. The play is caused by stuffed nylon bearings at the bottom of the shifter - they cost less than $10 to buy and its easiest to remove the whole shifter unit (from below) to replace them. When you replave them you will be amazed at how tight and positive the shift lever is.
hako is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

Cheers for the help man.

I wouldn't be able to take the shifter unit out myself, how much do you reckon it'd cost to have a mechanic do it for me??
Old 25-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Jet-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
how much do you reckon it'd cost to have a mechanic do it for me??
$Arm x1
$Leg x 1
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
hako
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Regularly gives valued, considered advice to others. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
Cheers for the help man.

I wouldn't be able to take the shifter unit out myself, how much do you reckon it'd cost to have a mechanic do it for me??
You can do it from inside the car as well I think but I found it easier to remove from below. If you don't have a trolley jack and axle stands maybe you can borrow some ramps or park the car with one wheel on the gutter to allow room to crawl underneath. I suppose a mechanic 'may' do it for about $100 but thats just a wild guess. It would take about an hour for someone who has done it before. It took me about 3 hours because I was ultra-careful.....no rocket science is involved.
hako is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
2kool4u

I might give it a try, could you post exactly how to do it??
Old 26-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it doesn't start without moving pushing the shifter you may also be up for an inhibitor switch. It bolts on the outside of the tran.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Not sure if this helps, but in my EB to get to the shifter housing I just pulled the centre console out (locate screws & undo, then pull console up/out), which leaves the housing exposed. I pulled mine out from inside the car.

Here's two pix:

The screws in the EB were 8mm size.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post