Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Default Series 1 v8 Fairmont xr8 220 conversion

Hey all

Not sure if posting this in the right place but in putting a 220 xr8 motor and box into a series 1 v8 Fairmont. (An building a te50 replica ish thing) my main question is will the Fairmont ecu run the 220 to all its potential? Because in guessing the xr8 wbu being a series 2 won't want to work with smartlock system?

Anyone been down this road?

Cheers for any help

Eddy
eddy220t3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Series 1 v8 Fairmont xr8 220 conversion

Eddy,

You would need the ECU from the XR8 220 to run at it's full potential. I never had done the conversion, however I own an XR8 220, and I can't imagine this motor running on a Fairmont ECU given what Tickford has done to these motors. I would suggest a ECU from an XR8 220 or a custom ECU, which would be an expensive upgrade.

Good luck Eddy
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Yea I was thinking that. I have the way out of the 220 but it's a series 2 not series 1 like the Fairmont so being out of a smart shield system instead of smart lock don't know if it would pair up
Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

They run quite ok with the stocker ECU.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

As said it will run fine on the fairmont ECU but down a bit of power and torque. The 175/185kw tunes are set up for 91ron fuel and have less spark advance.

Once it's up and running you can look into a J3 chip or quarterhorse for tuning. Getting the S2/3 ecu to work in the S1 will be a headache as there are differences in the BCMs and instrument clusters.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
eddy220t3
Starter Motor

Yea that makes sense, in thinking I'll just get a j3 for it then it should run ideal. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Do not use the series 2/3 ECU in your series 1. Just drop in the 220 and custom tune to suite.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
As said it will run fine on the fairmont ECU but down a bit of power and torque. The 175/185kw tunes are set up for 91ron fuel and have less spark advance.

Once it's up and running you can look into a J3 chip or quarterhorse for tuning. Getting the S2/3 ecu to work in the S1 will be a headache as there are differences in the BCMs and instrument clusters.

When I enquired about a J3 for my VCT AU I was told the A/C won’t work. I’m not sure if it’s the same for the V8 something to keep in mind. If you want to run a S2/S3 ECU in a S1 it can be done if you swap the dash from a Series 1.5 and also use a steering column from a smartshield AU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman01 View Post
When I enquired about a J3 for my VCT AU I was told the A/C won’t work. I’m not sure if it’s the same for the V8 something to keep in mind. If you want to run a S2/S3 ECU in a S1 it can be done if you swap the dash from a Series 1.5 and also use a steering column from a smartshield AU.

The A/C issues are a known problem with the TI Performance J3 chips in AUs (they're fine in E series though). Moates J3 chips or the Moates Quarterhorse work fine in AUs with one small caveat (PM me if you want to know). I have a Moates J3 in mine.

Interesting about the clusters... I've often wanted a real oil pressure gauge like the series 1 had, do you know if the series 1.5 clusters have real oil pressure or dummy gauges like the S2/3?
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
The A/C issues are a known problem with the TI Performance J3 chips in AUs (they're fine in E series though). Moates J3 chips or the Moates Quarterhorse work fine in AUs with one small caveat (PM me if you want to know). I have a Moates J3 in mine.

Interesting about the clusters... I've often wanted a real oil pressure gauge like the series 1 had, do you know if the series 1.5 clusters have real oil pressure or dummy gauges like the S2/3?

Yes all Series 1/1.5 clusters have real oil pressure gauges

VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Change the 220's valve springs before you fit the engine, they're a known weakness.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post