Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What's A Good Second Hand Hatchback?

People need to understand basic economics. If you have $3k to spend, and are basically sensible, you get a $3k car.
So "Corollas are more reliable, blah, blah, blah." So what? You think you're the ONLY person to figure that out?
That's like saying that T-Bone steak is better than hamburger mince. It is, but $3 worth, still only gets you $3 worth.

The actual reality is that Toyota's over-hyped reputation counts against them, especially in the second hand market.
People pay too much for them, flog the guts out of them believing they will run forever, then overprice them and sell them to some other sucker.

Logically, (if you don't care about resale) you will get a better car looking for something that everybody else doesn't want.

In that price bracket, you are better off looking at anything (within reason) and assessing each on its merits. Look mostly at the mechanical and any "must have" components. A $3k car, could easily have $5k worth of repairs needed, so try to find one that doesn't or ideally where the previous owner has already done it.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #32
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
People need to understand basic economics. If you have $3k to spend, and are basically sensible, you get a $3k car.
So "Corollas are more reliable, blah, blah, blah." So what? You think you're the ONLY person to figure that out?
That's like saying that T-Bone steak is better than hamburger mince. It is, but $3 worth, still only gets you $3 worth.

The actual reality is that Toyota's over-hyped reputation counts against them, especially in the second hand market.
People pay too much for them, flog the guts out of them believing they will run forever, then overprice them and sell them to some other sucker.

Logically, (if you don't care about resale) you will get a better car looking for something that everybody else doesn't want.

In that price bracket, you are better off looking at anything (within reason) and assessing each on its merits. Look mostly at the mechanical and any "must have" components. A $3k car, could easily have $5k worth of repairs needed, so try to find one that doesn't or ideally where the previous owner has already done it.
Wow, some big statements there.

Obviously you won't be a sucker if you have the car checked properly and look for the tell tale signs of a boy racer, as compared to Mums shopping cart that she's just upgraded.

And who doesn't care about resale? Thats why you buy a Mazda or a Corolla, so you don't lose so much as if you'd bought an old Hyundai.

So just looking on Gummy and see a few nice Mazda SP23s in a hatch for under 5k.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #33
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Wow, some big statements there.
Such as?
Quote:
And who doesn't care about resale?
ANYBODY buying a $3k car.
If you want resale, put your money in the bank.
Quote:
Thats why you buy a Mazda or a Corolla,
Nope, that's precisely why you SHOULDN'T buy a Corolla.
Of the $3k, you're spending at least half on the Toyota badge, (instead of on a car that might not kill you) just so you can turn around later and sell the badge on.

If I offer to sell you my car for $3k, and tell you that I'm including a gold ingot worth $2k that you can sell later, WTF does that tell you about the car???

Unless you buy a car from your Granny, any car that costs $3k is going to be a POS. The trick is finding one that meets basic standards of safety and mechanical condition.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 01:44 AM   #34
323Turbo

my daily ****ter is a 2006 Volvo xc70 wagon.
2,5l turbo 5 pot & awd - gets 9/10l per 100 around town, super plush ride & super comfy seats, leather, aircon vents in the back & 5 star safety rating.

it cost nearly $80k new, has done 200k kms now & drives awesome. I bought it off the original owner & it came with all service history - bought it over a year ago for $4400.

yes its butt ugly, but everyone gives way to an old Vovo at the roundabouts lol

looks exactly like this -

Last edited by 323Turbo; 17-10-2017 at 06:38 PM.
323Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Corollas are no more reliable than most of the other Japanese offerings. I agree with the Crazy man that Toyotas are a waste of money in the second hand world.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #36
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Turbo View Post
my daily ****ter is a 2006 Volvo xc70 wagon.
2,5l turbo 5 pot & awd - gets 9/10l per 100 around town, super plush ride & super comfy seats, leather, aircon vents in the back & 5 star safety rating.

it cost nearly $80k new, has done 200k kms now & drives awesome. I bought it off the original owner & it came with all service history - bought it over a year ago for $4400.

yes its butt ugly, but everyone gives way to an old Vovo at the roundabouts lol

looks exactly like this -
How much did the original owner spend to keep it on road - hopefully he had transmission reconditioned as they are known for having issues.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #37
323Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
How much did the original owner spend to keep it on road - hopefully he had transmission reconditioned as they are known for having issues.
i got every receipt that was ever spent on it & it's had no issues with that.

The transmission issues were pretty much solved way back in the 2003 models - it was only the early models (2000,01,02) that had issues. Thats why I only considered 2004+ models & went with an 06.
mine is smooth as butter & quick to engage - its a jap transmission by the way.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #38
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Here's an option, go to a used car yard, talk to salesperson, and tell them how much you want to spend. They will sell you a car, job done. It will be a great little car, they will tell you that about 15 times. Just make sure it has 12 months rego, then do it again in 11 and a half months.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts now the kids swapped with below
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 now the wife’s swapped with above
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #39
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Turbo View Post
i got every receipt that was ever spent on it & it's had no issues with that.

The transmission issues were pretty much solved way back in the 2003 models - it was only the early models (2000,01,02) that had issues. Thats why I only considered 2004+ models & went with an 06.
mine is smooth as butter & quick to engage - its a jap transmission by the way.
I have sat in those seats and can't think of any car being more comfortable - i would love one of them with manual transmission. Aisin tranny is a bit iffy even in later models but yours looks well looked after and was serviced regularly - should not have a problem. Original owners tend to baby tham - once they change a few hands maintenance drops off.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 09-02-2017 at 07:47 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Toyota Echo. Horrible and plasticky, but will take a thrashing and soldier on. They feel quicker than they really are due to their minimal weight. Handling is actually quite spiritedly too, probably because changing direction in a 700kg package is not exactly hard. Toyota really had their small car game on point from the 90s to the 00s.
Yes! Added to that their ride is quite good around town (repeated in current Yaris reviews)... that 1.3 is quite a fun, revvy little thing. I used to take my surveyors kit & ladder into CBD jobs in ours (swapping out of the Cruiser I used in remote work) and often you could park it in unused basement car park space, not needing a proper park!

Actually, I think I have a bit of a fetish for the Echo/current Yaris - even like the strange styling... watch out fellas, it's the reliability and around town ease that sucks you in...
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #41
Swordie

2008 Honda Civic if you want a sedan. Great cars.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post