Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
dreadly
Banned

Default Upgrade your MAF in au xr8?

Hi can someone tell me what upgrading your mass air flow sensor does? and is it a good mod? thinking of upgrading my maf from au 2 xr8 58 mm to ford 70mm...

Can someone tell me if its worth while? and what will it actually do? any gains? cheers peter

dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The MAF in an AU is already 70mm.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

peter

going to get you to start a build thread in the right forum and ask all your questions there, one thread a day is pushing it! :hihi:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
JPC
Starter Motor

Default Re: Upgrade your MAF in au xr8?

I have a AU111 XR8 ute & was thinking of fitting a 90mm lightening Maf to it should I swop the sensors over & use the original one in the 90mm housing as it is for a later motor, I have fitted a Tickford 70mm T/B & MSD coil pack already
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
BHDOGS
Banned

are you doing anything else to the engine later down the track? as the maf you have now would flow more then enough air and upgrading it then getting a tune to suit would be expensive for little gain.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
JPC
Starter Motor

Unhappy Re: Upgrade your MAF in au xr8?

not at this stage it has got a 3" single sports exhaust system, I did fit the lightening Maf & it idled & drove fine until i put my foot down so I reinstated the original Maf. I wondered if i should swap the sensors & put the XR8 one in the lightening body if that would improve it at all, I really liked the deep throaty sound it made with the lightening housing fitted. Also i was thinking of a J3 chip or a sniper tune but don,t know which way to go never had to tune a computer managed motor before, had it on Dyno at CV Performance & it runs very rich at 110kw the AFR dove from 14.5 down to 10 on the ARF scale
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I suggest that you stop this train of thought right now. You are running the risk of running your engine extremely lean. Changing the MAF alone will not give you any performance enhancement. It is purley a measuring device, that if changed, needs to be changed in the tune. The only reason to go to a 90mm MAF would be if you need that diameter for an engine that needs to consume that much air. I highly doubt a 5L AU XR8 would ever exceed the need for bigger than stock.

Stu

P.S Thread mining (reviving old threads) tends to be frowned upon on this site. If you have a question please post a new thread. Not sure why, but that is the way it is?

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
JPC
Starter Motor

Thanks for your reply & advise I,m new at this forum stuff & am really not shore what I,m doing from now on I,ll use a new post after i work out how to do so !
Cheers
Jon
Old 13-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
bobrob
EB SXR8 347

who can tell me where i can get a 90mm lightening maf calibrated for 42 pound injectors for my 347
bobrob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrob View Post
who can tell me where i can get a 90mm lightening maf calibrated for 42 pound injectors for my 347
Where are you? The MAF can't be 'calibrated' for a certain injector size, the ECU values need to be modified to suit via the J3 port, either with a Quarterhorse or possibly an SCT tuner.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: