Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #31
xr6turboford

Default Re: vz calais/ss reviews,faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkachu View Post
Better off asking on a commodore forum, they will most likely be able to give the best answers.
I swear sometimes there are more Holden people on here than Ford people
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #32
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm with you mate, i've had my FGXR6T for 4 years now and really really miss the V8 manual. My issue is that the XR6T has been absolutely faultless for me, i've had no issues with it. I am looking at AU XR8's and VY Clubsports. I'm just worried about selling the XR6T as it's such a great car and i know it back to front, i'm worried about getting another car and having issues. I just don't get the enjoyment out of it like i did in my BA XR8 or VY Clubsport. It's weird because it is such a great car and is running 300rwkw but i learnt with this car it's not about speed for me.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #33
STINKY NINJA
Banned

[QUOTE=ashebxr8;5715690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post

I have a 2010 fg xr6 six speed auto with a few mods as well. Had it for five years now. I'm very surprised, but the only problems I have had with it is I had to replace the battery after three years. A leaking power steering switch and a brake pedal switch. Overall it would have to be one of the best cars I have owned. Can't see myself selling it for anything else. I also put a transmission cooler on it as soon as the warranty ran out. Been on for three years now no problems.
Try owning a turbo or blown v8 fg and you will know about inherent driveline issues lol,diff bushes are a perishable/scaraficial item.
An n/a 4.0 shouldnt give the stock driveline any probs.
If you don't know about fg issues just do a search mate and your eyes will be opened wide haha,sounds like you got a good fg though,maybe a Monday car.

Last edited by STINKY NINJA; 10-07-2016 at 11:55 PM.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #34
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I'm with you mate, i've had my FGXR6T for 4 years now and really really miss the V8 manual. My issue is that the XR6T has been absolutely faultless for me, i've had no issues with it. I am looking at AU XR8's and VY Clubsports. I'm just worried about selling the XR6T as it's such a great car and i know it back to front, i'm worried about getting another car and having issues. I just don't get the enjoyment out of it like i did in my BA XR8 or VY Clubsport. It's weird because it is such a great car and is running 300rwkw but i learnt with this car it's not about speed for me.
I miss my mk 2 manual ba xr8,one of the best cars ive owned,the ba drove so much nicer,felt better,more fun,the seats were wider...
If it wasn't for the boss motor issues I had with my ba id get another one,timing chain issues,burning oil etc,i couldn't go there again.
Even if I tuned my fg turbo id be bored with it in 2 months.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #35
ashebxr8

[QUOTE=STINKY NINJA;5716046]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebxr8 View Post

Try owning a turbo or blown v8 fg and you will know about inherent driveline issues lol,diff bushes are a perishable/scaraficial item.
An n/a 4.0 shouldnt give the stock driveline any probs.
If you don't know about fg issues just do a search mate and your eyes will be opened wide haha,sounds like you got a good fg though,maybe a Monday car.
I know plenty of the problems the FG can have. Maybe i did get lucky with a good car. The fg is the Mrs car. My daily is a EB Fairmont Ghia V8 and have another EB XR8 (owned for 16 years) getting a 427 built for it right now by Leon at A1. So i know where you are coming from with wanting a older car. I love driving my Ghia everyday. You might remember me? I used to have a AU XR8 ute. I have bought a few things of you over the years.
ashebxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 04:00 AM   #36
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
The forum is just a representation of society.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #37
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: vz calais/ss reviews,faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
I don't think you have to be a 'Ford' or 'Holden' people, my garage has quite often had both .... still has, because they are 'Made in Australia'.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #38
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fordmatic, have read alot of your posts concerning you xr6t and comparing it to your previous manual V8's. Because of your posts it has stopped me many times of trading in my long owned ba xr8 manual for a turbo auto 6. I just dont want the regret. Sure, any turbo will kill my 8 but the driver engagement i get is not the same and i have now driven alot of fg 6s trying to convince myself. So thanks to you my man!

Stinky Ninja, I have once owned a vx ss auto and I'm in the same thinking as you. I was so surprised how cheap parts are to replace compared to my ba xr8. Trannies, diff, and the big one,,,,motors. I say dont hesitate and go for it, i dont think you will regret it unless its a lemon. If something goes wrong, parts are everywhere and that ls1 motor is very easy to work on.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a VZ LX8 so basically a calais spec Adventra, owned it 12 months and the a/c compressor shat itself (common problem) and the alternator went nuts (also common) so $1000 later both are good.
only complaints are the auto is nowhere near as good as the ford unit and the fake chrome parts on the steering wheel lift up and wrinkle and my steering wheel mounted buttons broke.
but for the money its got a 250kw ls1, DVD, Bluetooth, Satnav, leather, sunroof, and goes well with alot of potential to go even better
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

owned a vy ss picked it up with about 70,000 kms on the clock, did tune, OTR, and full di fillipo exhaust and the standard auto **** itself after a year
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #41
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my first Holden (VE SSV) couple of months ago after wanting a manual V8. Overall I am surprised at how good it is for the money I got it for.

Having owned Turbo Falcons in the past, hands down the V8 manual is a heap more fun to own and drive, which is exactly the reason I wanted one (a manual V8).

Was looking for a manual BA GT for months and nothing decent popped up with my budget.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #42
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 007 View Post
Fordmatic, have read alot of your posts concerning you xr6t and comparing it to your previous manual V8's. Because of your posts it has stopped me many times of trading in my long owned ba xr8 manual for a turbo auto 6. I just dont want the regret. Sure, any turbo will kill my 8 but the driver engagement i get is not the same and i have now driven alot of fg 6s trying to convince myself. So thanks to you my man!
I probably post way too much about it, but there is no doubt that the xr6t is a great car for what it is. It's funny, you are either a manual or an auto man, or an 8 or 6 man, this car taught me i'm a V8 manual man

Cruising along in my old BA xr8 with the windows down in summer as you just wind through the mountains swapping cogs and listening to the bliss sound, the xr6t does not have that feeling
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #43
STINKY NINJA
Banned

To be honest on a daily basis I see a lot more commodores that are really nice looking as opposed to fords,if I had money to burn id get a white ve gts,always liked them a lot,at this stage in my life im keen to do house improvements so id be happy to step back to a cheaper slower v8.
If I wasn't such a ford guy id already be out looking at vz v8,s,im a little scared to jump ship knowing so little about them,always a good chance of getting a lemon as with any brand of car.
Sounds like the right vz could be a good car,just need to find a stock one that hasn't been flogged haha
I even really enjoy driving in my eb ghia v8,it only runs 14.5-14.8 but its just so fun to drive,makes all the right noises,even though the paint isn't too flash I have always got alot of comments about it,even from holden guys,its got mass appeal I just need another flasher car to use for cruising.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #44
STINKY NINJA
Banned

[QUOTE=ashebxr8;5716067]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post

I know plenty of the problems the FG can have. Maybe i did get lucky with a good car. The fg is the Mrs car. My daily is a EB Fairmont Ghia V8 and have another EB XR8 (owned for 16 years) getting a 427 built for it right now by Leon at A1. So i know where you are coming from with wanting a older car. I love driving my Ghia everyday. You might remember me? I used to have a AU XR8 ute. I have bought a few things of you over the years.
Dark blue ute,i remember now.
I love my eb,if I ever have the chance it will get a ground up rebuild and only get used on weekends
Eb falcons are a great car!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #45
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The issue you will have trying to find a nice commodore is finding one that hasn't been flogged within an inch of it's life. I spent 5 months looking for my old VY Clubsport, soooo many bogans selling flogged out examples. The other thing you have to deal with is bogans idolising your nice car at the lights, "she's a V8 mate, do a sick burnout!"

Never get that in a falcon
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #46
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
I bought my first Holden (VE SSV) couple of months ago after wanting a manual V8. Overall I am surprised at how good it is for the money I got it for.

Having owned Turbo Falcons in the past, hands down the V8 manual is a heap more fun to own and drive,
just dont race one
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #47
ashebxr8

[QUOTE=STINKY NINJA;5716585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebxr8 View Post

Dark blue ute,i remember now.
I love my eb,if I ever have the chance it will get a ground up rebuild and only get used on weekends
Eb falcons are a great car!
Yep monsoon blue ute. Just get another eb. I love them. That's why I have two. Ha ha.
ashebxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #48
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I have the same if not slightly different auto in my mang banger.
It's terrible if you enjoy spirited driving.
We've all read the reviews over the years of the gearbox being sloppy and never in the right gear.....etc
You'd think it was an exaggeration but it's all quite true.
With that said you can always beef up the auto.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #49
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the steering on the VT-VZ is not great, the AU-BF is way better.
if funds permit go for the VZ 6.0l Manual but you could probably get a 5.7l calais for half the cost.
I was looking at a VY SS wagon but all where $14k, I got a VZ LX8 fully optioned by HBD for $7k.

I have the 4L65E in my car and its still crap, in regular mode its soft and fluffy and doesn't kick down when you want it, then in PWR mode it kicks down when everytime you gas it and thuds into gear.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #50
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
the steering on the VT-VZ is not great, the AU-BF is way better.
VT-VZ steering is terrible. Heavy and gluggy feeling. Holden made it so heavy to give the cars a "solid" feeling on the road and to mask an ancient front suspension design.

Much like Falcon high seating position, every road test of VT-VZ would comment on the poor steering feel and accuracy, the erratic shifting and response of the 4 speed auto and the moonshot gearing of the 6 speed manual.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post