Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #151
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: The mechanic rip-off rort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo
If you've got their full name then you can get their address from the electoral roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
You can check your local electoral roll at your local MP office, hopefully your customer is on the roll.

I don't know what the laws are in other States but here in NSW it appears that obtaining info from the Electoral Roll other than for electoral purposes is off limits

Quote:
Former ALP boss Jamie Clements to face court

26 May, 2016

Kate McClymont and Sean Nicholls

Former ALP boss Jamie Clements is being prosecuted for allegedly leaking confidential enrolment details. Photo: Dallas Kilponen

A former head of the NSW branch of the Labor Party, Jamie Clements, has been charged by the NSW Electoral Commission for disclosing protected information.

In what could prove to be a severe embarrassment to the federal party in the middle of an election campaign, the former general secretary is being prosecuted for allegedly leaking confidential enrolment details to his factional ally, the disgraced union boss Derrick Belan.

It is understood that Mr Belan wanted the information from the electoral roll in order to help a friend locate a rival in a relationship dispute.

Mr Clements, who was forced to resign earlier this year over sexual harassment claims, has been served with a court attendance notice to appear at Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on June 7 charged with two breaches of the Parliamentary Electorates and Elections Act.

According to a statement issued by the NSW Electoral Commission, the commission alleges that a former senior NSW Australian Labor Party official in May 2015 disclosed protected information for a purpose not permitted under the act.

The statement goes on to say that "in June 2015, the man used the information, that had been lawfully provided by the Electoral Commissioner ... for a purpose not permitted under the act".

Mr Clements faces potential fines of $22,000 for each breach of the act.

Earlier this year Mr Clements told News Corp: "I have never accessed any information from the electoral roll. No information was provided to Derrick Belan. These claims are false and part of an attempt to smear me."

Contacted by Fairfax Media on Thursday, Mr Clements said: "It is before the courts. I am not going to make any comment."

Political parties have access to the electoral roll for very limited purposes such as elections.

It is an offence to use the electoral rolls for other purposes or for private use.

The recipient of the information gained from Mr Clements' alleged breach is himself facing the possibility of prosecution. Mr Belan, the former National Union of Workers state secretary, endured a gruelling time in the witness box during the building royal commission over allegations he spent almost $40,000 of his union's funds on dating websites, a tattoo parlour, jewellery and a luxury cruise.

His actions have been referred to both NSW Police and the Fair Work Commission over alleged credit card fraud, and breaching his duties as a union officer.

In April Mr Belan was fined $1500 for possession of cocaine and ice.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/former-alp...26-gp4wbv.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #152
SVR73
Mr Polish

Over a decade ago, a pedders store tried to take me for a 2000 dollar ride,
The manager said I needed some serious stuff done after I went in for a safety check as I just came back from the third sa to qld trip in 3 months for Motorsport In my AU forte

So I took it to my old mechanic who always serviced my car before and old XA coupe
He said one issue was needed to be sorted Eventually but the other things were bull****

So I contacted the peddlers sa/nt state manager and had him check the car at another store
Same story as my old mechanic
Those at the store trying to rip me off we're given their marching orders right after that

Im a placid friendly guy until anyone tries to screw me over, if so then be warned. don't fu** with me Argentina

Last edited by SVR73; 27-05-2016 at 06:34 AM.
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #153
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I have the mother of all rip offs.

This happened around 2001 and involved a company that has outlets near large shopping malls.

A lady in her 60s who worked with my wife put her Magna in for a 90,000 service, plus she wanted the handbrake adjusted.

She went to pick the car up and the bill was nearly $2,000. Yes that's right $2,000!!!.

The mechanic said that he would not release her car until she paid the bill.

So she coughed up the dough.

She complained to the company's head office and they were to meet and discuss the bill. The company changed the date and the woman's son could not make that appointment. That's when my wife volunteered that I would help her because at that time I was doing a lot of volunteer advocacy work for war veterans dealing with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

This is the story. The mechanic rang her husband who was home sick. (He was actually dying and when I became involved he had died). The mechanic says that the husband authorised the repairs which involved overhaul of the brakes and a new timing thingy; plus some other stuff.

I did some ringing around. The Mitsubishi dealer was quite good, he said that a 90,000 kms service was about $300 and the timing belt was not required at that service. I also rang a govmint department and he suggested that maybe proper authorisation had not been given for the work.

So armed with that information and a little bravado, we met three guys from the company, the local mechanic, the regional guy and the head office guy. Before we met, I asked the lady what it is she wanted, she would be happy with a $1,000 refund. I mentioned to her that our item of last resort would be to threaten to reveal the whole story in the local paper.

It was an entertaining meeting. You can guess what the head office guy said - safety and customer satisfaction, they have a duty to their customers blah, blah, blah.

The regional guy was an idiot. I made the point that the mechanic did not seek authorisation for the repairs, whether they were essential or not, from the owner and as such the lady was not liable to pay for the work. The invoice was made out to the lady, her work phone was listed on the invoice yet he says he rang the home number and said the husband said to go ahead. The regional guy said that they often ring the husband because the women do not understand the work to be done. Can you believe that someone would actually say this? I countered with the fact that I dismiss what he said about women, and that the husband was very ill and it is doubtful he even understood what the mechanic was saying; and had since died.

As an aside, I am aware that the mechanic has a lien on his work. If you authorise a mechanic to do work on your car, he has a legal right to hold onto the car until payment is made, or something like that. Our main point was that the repairs were not authorised.

In the end they refunded her $1200 and gave her a voucher for some free services. A good result but she never went back. They never did fix the handbrake.

I don't mean to big note myself. In another thread I mentioned where I took a bloke to the small claims court for accident to my car. I am just an average old guy and over the years I have found that when you are wronged by someone you do something about it. It is no good yelling and screaming. Just do your homework. Collect the evidence and put it to the other party. I have also found the less you say the better. Just stick to the main issues.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #154
Trump
bitch lasagne

Then there's stuff like this (in Canada though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #155
olfella
Cranky old bastard

That could be why my dealer will not allow car cams to be active when they are servicing. I heard it is the same at a Toyota dealership in Nowra. Their reason was privacy. Workers don't expect to be filmed while going about there day to day work.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #156
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
That could be why my dealer will not allow car cams to be active when they are servicing. I heard it is the same at a Toyota dealership in Nowra. Their reason was privacy. Workers don't expect to be filmed while going about there day to day work.
I was told by a Ford Dealership that I will no longer go to, that they didn't mind the camera being on but that I had to inform them that I had it. It's not exactly hidden, stuck on the windscreen, I caught the young guy flogging the crap out of my car on the test drive by reviewing the recording.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #157
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, it's illegal to record peoples private conversations (without their knowledge.)

If a mechanic finds out for whatever reason, you could find yourselves getting a visit from the AFP. If that occurs then you will be in trouble.

Just switch them off.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #158
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Guys, it's illegal to record peoples private conversations (without their knowledge.)

If a mechanic finds out for whatever reason, you could find yourselves getting a visit from the AFP. If that occurs then you will be in trouble.

Just switch them off.
One of these little fellows covers your bum for that.

All busses have them.

Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #159
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you inform them then fine.

But expect in return to have them refuse to work on your car.

I know I certainly wouldn't want to be filmed at work, or anywhere for that matter.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 27-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #160
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just switch them off.
That really depends cause you're having a camera within your car. At the end of the day you could always just say "I have it for theft and accident purposes, and forgot to turn it off". I highly doubt the cops are going to bother charging you for that, and if you catch the mechanic doing something dodgy on the car, then you've already won.

Edit : By your logic, having a dash cam is illegal cause you're recording all the people in front of your car without their consent.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #161
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
That really depends cause you're having a camera within your car. At the end of the day you could always just say "I have it for theft and accident purposes, and forgot to turn it off". I highly doubt the cops are going to bother charging you for that, and if you catch the mechanic doing something dodgy on the car, then you've already won.

Edit : By your logic, having a dash cam is illegal cause you're recording all the people in front of your car without their consent.
Nothing depends with the law, if you record someone's private conversation and that person isn't happy about it, you WILL be charged, no if's or buts.
Same as speeding tickets, did you or did you not go over the posted limit? It doesn't matter why.

If you happen to catch the mechanic doing something then you've already lost.
You cannot submit illegally obtained material to a court.

By my logic having a dashcam is fine when it's being used as a dashcam, i.e in public places and not recording private conversations on private property.

In NZ it might be completely different IDK.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #162
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Nothing depends with the law, if you record someone's private conversation and that person isn't happy about it, you WILL be charged, no if's or buts.
Same as speeding tickets, did you or did you not go over the posted limit? It doesn't matter why.

By my logic having a dashcam is fine when it's being used as a dashcam, i.e in public places and not recording private conversations on private property.

How do TV news programs get to film people coming and going to court?
Old 27-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #163
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post

In my case the first time they disconnected the permanent power connection behind the cig lighter - subsequent visits they just unplug it at the camera. They do not know if I am recording voice.

Last edited by olfella; 27-05-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #164
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrion View Post
One of these little fellows covers your bum for that.

All busses have them.

For audio an advice sign/sticker doesn't get around consent
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #165
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
How do TV news programs get to film people coming and going to court?
They are walking down a public street.

A workplace is private.

I can't drive up your driveway and film through your bedroom window.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 27-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #166
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
For audio an advice sign/sticker doesn't get around consent
Isn't a bus (public transport) considered a public place in this instance?

XC Cobra #181.
Old 28-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #167
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Isn't a bus (public transport) considered a public place in this instance?
Yes still audio requires consent
Old 28-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #168
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

So I went to my mechanic today and you wouldn't believe what happened....
Old 28-05-2016, 01:34 AM   #169
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to go to Subaru dealers for my services but I save a **** load these days from a local independent workshop now. Really good, so good they need a bigger place.

I had to change my parkers and low beams the last week. I had to pull half the front of my car off and both headlights out. **** that **** you can have it. Never going to do it again
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #170
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a letter addressed to me from a real estate agent that I had nothing to do with. I called him up and asked him
how he got my name and address. He said they buy them from the council.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #171
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I think that when the people servicing your vehicle switch off your dashcam they are quite within their rights.

They are entitled to their privacy in their workshop.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #172
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I think that when the people servicing your vehicle switch off your dashcam they are quite within their rights.

They are entitled to their privacy in their workshop.
They have a right to ask for whatever they want but they are not entitled to everything. I don't agree with it but there are plenty of workplaces these days that have cameras. If anyone needs to be watched its mechanics. You have no way of knowing or proving
what they have done.
Old 28-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #173
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXL078 View Post
They have a right to ask for whatever they want but they are not entitled to everything. I don't agree with it but there are plenty of workplaces these days that have cameras. If anyone needs to be watched its mechanics. You have no way of knowing or proving
what they have done.
You can video anything, its the audio that requires consent,
Old 28-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #174
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
You can video anything, its the audio that requires consent,
In NSW you need either a court order or an enterprise agreement to install a camera in a workplace.
Old 28-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #175
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
I got a letter addressed to me from a real estate agent that I had nothing to do with. I called him up and asked him
how he got my name and address. He said they buy them from the council.
Well they dont need that anymore as they are using Metadata now. You can run but you cannot hide
Old 28-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #176
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Don't news reporters do a tonne of hidden camera investigations though? How do they get away with it?

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #177
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
In NSW you need either a court order or an enterprise agreement to install a camera in a workplace.
It varies state to state but audio is federal
Old 28-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #178
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1990
225/50 is so close to same rolling diameter to the 245/45. I'd be surprised if the 235/60 will fit, it's about 3 inches bigger. If you want a touch more sidewall for comfort there is still the 225/55. The 225 will be easier to get, they are fairly known sizes.
Ah yes the old Listening Devices Act.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2004C01072
Old 28-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #179
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my old job, I had a fully maintained company car as part of my package.... AS those in similar situations would know, I had to organize the services at a Holden Dealer (no one else) and that Dealer would then get paid by the lease company. I had it in for its 20k service and I get a call from the Service Advisor telling me that My wiper blades where in dire need of being replaced (a lie, I check these things) and I needed Fuel Additive to clean my engine at a cost of $90. Both of these where "MUST DO's" according to the lady who called me... I knew it was an obvious upsell to get someones bonus up but as soon as I said "sorry, if you read the paperwork the car is through Interleasing and I don't pay for the service, you need to get the OK from them if its so important" all the wind came out of her sail and you could amost hear the disappointment..

Needless to say upon collection of the car neither was done and for future servicing I took it to another dealer..

When it comes to Car Servicing now that I don't have a company car anymore, I don't mind paying a fair amount for servicing to be done on both our cars... When I bought my Mazda, the dealer gave me a print out of my Servicing up until 100k (capped price) which I keep on hand at service time (its only had a 10k and 20k so far). As long as its within $50 of that I'm cool....

Wether its big dealers or smaller companies, for every dodgy bugger their are probably 10 decent ones... the trick is finding one that you trust and stick with them...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2016, 11:20 PM   #180
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Anyone had a house built lately? Mine has $70,000 worth of upsells. Makes wiper blades look cheap.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: