Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default where can you go for caravan towing lessons without going to a school

hi

was wondering if and where you can go to get caravan towing lessons without having to go to a towing course or school and possibly spend a grand by time you travel pay for course and accomodation and meals

also, have a ef fairmont with about 290000kms and wondered wether the 4.0 are any good at towing caravans, seen a pile of ef/el/au towing caravans all with similar km on clock, what size caravans could they tow max with a 2100-2300kg tow bar spose about 1500-2000?

for example once followings fixed
have to upgrade radiator to tripple core copper by choice and possibly buying a big auto cooler with a fan.
have to do some suspension work which will be done.
have to buy a new battery soon.
soon fixing the steel heater pipe.
power steering pumps a bit noisy but will be fixed and hose is starting to leak but again will be fixed.
transmission could probably do with a service
petrol pump will need replacing but runs on gas

runs great otherwise have a couple split vacuum hoses which arent much

Last edited by car10002; 02-05-2016 at 12:13 AM.
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: where can you go for caravan towing lessons without going to a school

I would be more inclined to find a large car park and have a play with some witches hats and an offsider keeping an eye on things.

Reversing into a tight spot seems to be a challenge for people new to towing. Get that sorted out so that you know how to manipulate the steering wheel to make the van go where you want it to go. Have you any experience with a trailer / boat?

Perhaps join a club? Didn't know that you could even have lessons actually.

The EF should be fine to tow. Just stick to specifications and have the rig set up so that your weights are good.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: where can you go for caravan towing lessons without going to a school

a couple years ago took a box trailer with a really old cement mixer on a 3 hour trip and just checked usual fluids and took water and kept a eye on gauges and went good
have towed dual axle trailers before and a couple times caravans but many years ago

what caravan or large trailer could you access if you dont own a caravan

and what can you fit to the e series to prevent the know overheating that can happen with them

Last edited by car10002; 02-05-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #4
sr71

My '96 XH stepped up to regular towing between 300000 & 400000kms. Possibly even higher than the 2300 rating. Regular serviced from 32000kms, it was always carrying &/or towing a load . I highly rate the 4.0 in a tow vehicle. Fuel use is noticeably higher though, when towing.

I borrowed Towball specific Weighing Scales ( now available at Repco ) to adjust my trailer to around 50kg Towball Weight. If you can't balance the trailer loading, consider a Load Levelling Attachment ( Sprung bars attached to towbar, and connected to the trailer, lifting the towing attitude?) . Setting up your Tow Combination like this keeps the vehicle level. No dragging bum of car , and light steering.
AND Electric Brakes. Let the trailer's brakes stop it, and save your rotors/pads from wearing out too quick.

I jack knifed a boat trailer when I was 15. So learnt the hard way. I wasn't feeling confident at the boat ramp, so reversed to let others go before me. I forgot the trailer was there.

Try and maintain reversing with the Driver's side on the inside ( so reversing anti-clockwise, but facing a clockwise direction.) That way you can lean out the door, or through the open window to see exactly where the wheels are, and how they are reacting to your steering input. You can also see exactly how close the trailer is to other objects.

I'd recommend retrofitting a Reversing camera, that helped you line up tow ball and trailer. Plus a DVR/Camera that gave you a screen of what was behind trailer.

Find a job that justifies hiring a trailer ($100ish/day), and get some practice towing. Something like a 8' x 5' box trailer with a cage. But don't get anything too small (6' x 4'), because they are way too responsive when reversing.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #5
sr71

Just read that you've towed before. You'll be fine. Just take it easy. And Enjoy the Caravan.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres not many jobs if any that are worth hiring large trailers, could you just hire one and drive it around and bring it back, would it pay to connect the electric brakes controller up or would alot have override brakes and have a triangle torsion bar plate and a square tow bar

Last edited by car10002; 02-05-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:14 AM   #7
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I know my local TAFE runs a course and joining a caravan club would also give you a wealth of information and assistance. Lots of them go for short journeys each month so you that into practice with them before going off on a big trip solo.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a big hard when you don't own a van could you just hire a furniture trailer and go for short drive probably only way for now
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Or you could always ask a truckie if he would let you have a steer.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
It's a big hard when you don't own a van could you just hire a furniture trailer and go for short drive probably only way for now
I bet a club at least one club member would have more than one van which they would lend or let you hitch up if you wanted some experience
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car will be fine up to 2tonne van, as long as in good condition and regular service.
Watch the ball weight and use load levelers.
Pulled a 2 tonne van for a squillion K's with a XH ute without problems.
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Used to tow either a car trailer or horse float, loaded for approx 1000km trip every weekend.
Car was an EF Wagon. Plenty of grunt to tow at 100kmh if I wished. Cant beat the 4.0L for torque. I had sway bars and Hayman reese 2300kg bar. I changed the shocks, but the leafs were fine for the job. Only other things I did was seperate trans cooler and electric brakes.

Much better than a jap 4 cyl 4wd
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a lot of caravan sales yards run day courses, things like reversing and normal towing are covered.

I've towed a van weighing around 1850 kilo's a fair few times including around Aust. on highways and bi ways with a BA, they are not bad (the 4.0 ltr) but they can be thirsty, I average around 20 ptrs per 100 but can go down a lot lower than that with a little adverse conditions.

hills kill the pull very quickly, wind is another killer, I get around 250 kilometres from a tank if I'm lucky and careful, you will get far less on gas.

get all the things "fixed" on your vehicle before hooking up, if it's going to break it will break at the worst possible moment.

you can tow up to 2000 kilos safely with load levellers, I wouldn't go much beyond that, just take it easy, 85 to 90 KPH is enough, give the trucks room and plenty of warning about what you are going to do.

don't panic and don't slow down, just keep your speed and simply watch the road when the big boys overtake and you will be fine.

pack your van carefully, dont overload the back of the car nor the van.

get your electric brakes put in.

pump your tyres up to the recommended levels, including the van

keep your "junk" to a minimum, ask yourself if you really need 10 pairs of shoes and that electric wok

most of all enjoy the trip......watch a few youtube videos on reversing, it's not hard, just practice and patience

grab a pair of handheld 2 way radios so you and the boss aren't shouting at each other

make sure she stands where she can see your mirror, if she cant see them, you can't see her

as for the size of van, mine is 18'6" but I have seen 20 footers weighing in at the same and I have seen 16 footers weighing heavier, homework comes into play here, thats half the fun

anyhow I could go on a lot more but if you have any questions throw them out here, someone will know the answer

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcons and Holdens used to be the standard tow vehicles years ago. Plenty of 250 Falcons towed vans about 18ft all over Australia.
As for learning, hook it on and go slow to start with, just remember the extra height and length.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
theres not many jobs if any that are worth hiring large trailers, could you just hire one and drive it around and bring it back, would it pay to connect the electric brakes controller up or would alot have override brakes and have a triangle torsion bar plate and a square tow bar
Grab a big sheet of ply from Bunnings, loan the trailer for 2 hrs, have your play then return it and refund the ply saying it's the wrong size.

Free trailer

Need it for longer? Go to another Bunnings

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
lamborghinifan

Reversing practise and so on is all useful, but what's hard to learn is the scariest one, trailer sway at highway speeds. Electric brakes are great for this as you can accelerate car and brake trailer with override switch, but reacting and not freaking is hard until it happens to you. Ideally with all the right packing, levels, levellers, and ball weight you shouldn't have a drama but when a big fella goes on you you're forever nervous....
And big 6 is great for towing if you can handle the consumption. Constant torque with no turbo lag etc. Actually, the turbo territory was even better for this bar the consumption.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #17
daytona1965

Mr Car10002,

I set up two FORD's to tow, EF/EL and they both did a great job for

the price.

I had Electric brakes fitted, Pedders Air Bag suspension in the rear,

Transmission cooler and the Hayman Reese 2300KG tow bar. I was

towing a car trailer (450kg) and a 1100kg car with jerry cans and a front

tool box, most likely allup around 2000kg's. The car towed really really

well, you need to watch the engine temp as it increases quickly on hills

and dont rely on the Cruise as it will down change too many gears to

keep the speed you want and rev the crap out of the engine. It uses

a HEAP more petrol but a great cost effective tow car. I killed both of

my tow cars (both over 300,00k's) but they were cheap top buy and

maintain. My 2008 Range Rover Sport towes like a truck, you dont know

you are towing, it use no more diesel and is extremely comfortable. It's a

$150,000 car when new THAT is meant to tow, pick one up second

hand like I did.

As for towing, keep PLENTY of room in front of you, the braking

distances are twice what you are use to and be alert at all times.

ENJOY,

Rohan
Cruiser: XC Ford Coupe
daytona1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to access details on what you car is allowed to tow, this is a big issue in the 'vanning community at the moment, Police are checking tow vehicles and vans.

Details of weight limits when towing are usually in the owners manual

I bought a PK Ranger auto, the PK Rangers were advertised as being able to tow 3t, well guess what, when you read the owners manual, the autos' can only tow 2.5t, which limits the size of the van to about 1.8 - 2t, as you need to allow for water, food, clothes, bedding etc

I am a member of the Australian Caravan Club, the members there are generally pretty helpful
Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As above you need to not only know the towing capacity, but also the maximum tow ball weight and combined vehicle weight.

I've done a lot of towing but oddly never a Van, but I've seen a few wobbling down the Hume that just look plane scary.
a 2 tonne Van with their Central axles, as apposed to my 2 tonne boat with axles near the rear would need a bit more attention on how its all loaded.
good luck
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
snowcone

A single axle van will tend to sway a lot more than a dual axle van.
Going down hill the van will want to push the car.
When it discovers that it cannot push the car it will then try and go around it!
I am being facetious but this is a way of describing why the van will want to start swaying and once this starts it can be difficult to stop.
The main reflex is to hit the brakes but this will make it even worse.
You have to get off the throttle gently and if you have van brakes, then apply them only.
Experience is the only way to learn.
I started towing heavy vans when I was 18 and crapped myself the first time which was a 160km run from Newcastle to Taree including going over O'Sullivans Gap, with my father behind me towing another one.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #21
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.a...-courses-22419
You can have a read of this.
My friend did a towing course after crashing his car and caravan on the first outing from home.
AU Falcon sedan. Got a cross wind and blew them into ditch.
Found out from the towing course that his van was incorrectly loaded with too little ball weight.
Sometimes it's better to learn before you try.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the rules and regulations we have its a wonder you don't have to obtain a special licence for towing trailers over a certain size/weight.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More important than towing lessons is getting your head around these so that you aren't towing illegally as so many do.
ATM, GTM, GVM, GCM, Tare, ball weight. Then you'll understand why you can't tow a 2,600Kg caravan with say a Territory that has a 2,700Kg towing capacity.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #24
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
More important than towing lessons is getting your head around these so that you aren't towing illegally as so many do.
ATM, GTM, GVM, GCM, Tare, ball weight. Then you'll understand why you can't tow a 2,600Kg caravan with say a Territory that has a 2,700Kg towing capacity.
Probably the same reason my 2wd (non hi rider) work ranger scraped over a few bumps today with its 2.5 tonne towing rating, 600 kgs of stuff in the tray, 2 occupants, and a 2 tonne trailer boom lift on the back.... I knew it would, but hey, I changed 15 street lights with the lift. The trailer was pretty cool, it must be a rapper because it had 2 chains.....
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #25
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grandmother towed her 17ft van around Australia 3 times in her EB without complaint. I've personally towed my parents 16ft van with my EF and it was great, sat down a little at the back but more than enough power.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Other than a a proper caravan course maybe a friend who owns a caravan may teach you but seriously if you a novice at this then I personally recommended a caravan course as the money will be well worth spending, too many things can go wrong for the inexperienced driver.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 AM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It's load balance on caravans too . Most the weight between van axle and front .. Go hire a car trailer .. It's not hard, just take it easy .. Learn the longer braking distances .. Wider on turns, keeping in mind you have a tail behind .. Going wider on corners .. Any sway ? It's mainly bad balance inside caravan .. Load levellers etc help keep things level and front braking in better control .. Nothing like just doing it though ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate, the original post has been kidnapped a wee bit, I just did a VERY quick google on towing courses Australia and this one looks a bit interesting

https://www.breakloose.com.au/produc...owing-courses/

expensive but at around $600 per day

there are many more but honestly experience is your friend, find out your tow weight (google or your compliance plate is your friend, your ball weight (google/compliance plate is your friend)

grab a set of load levellers, a nice van that falls in your budget and weights and easy to live with, fix up the tug, grab a copy of "camps australia wide", chuck the boss in the shotgun seat, give her a packet of mintys and hit our roads less travelled.

and for pity sake enjoy the experience, don't fret the little mistakes you WILL make along the way.......the knowledge gained from hands on far outweighs any school.

one more thing, where are you based, maybe a member might live close by to help a wee bit, anywhere near me and I'd be glad to show you some tricks as I'm sure many others would as well.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post