Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #61
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Post Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
But Kiwi, that's the point, the fleets don't even want them anymore.
I understand what your saying. Most fleet buyers have shifted on to smaller cheaper cars. However keeping the commodore name has helped retain certain fleets. The Police were an example, theve been exclusively commodores since the late 90s and have decided to continue on with commodore patrol cars after 2017. The police force is a high turnover fleet, so its a big contract for Holden NZ at least.

By opting to retain the commodore name and have a direct replacement the police are just renewing/extending the contract instead of having all the manufacturers put in proposals and then choose a new contract all together.

My point is killing the commodore name would only harm sales. There's no reason not to brand it a commodore from a Holden point of view.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #62
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
😵🔫 you kill me.
...It says you're in New York City...If by chance you are...Stay there......
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #63
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Kind of like this?

Instead of introducing traditional large cars, Ford will focus on the new generation Mondeo as its largest passenger car presence. Marginally larger than its predecessor, the high-tech hatch and wagon range is expected to launch in February 2015.

“The new Mondeo is clearly a new generation car and it is a good sized car. It won’t replace Falcon [directly] but it will be our medium to large car entry,” Wilkinson said.

http://www.motoring.com.au/mondeo-is...big-car-47701/
...G'day Fair point..that's how it's going to be..regardless of the car's physical size which in Mondeo's case is pretty close..Physical size of the car is one thing but for so many of us that like a bit of good old fashioned sporty grunt in years to come may well have to keep our old Falcons going as long as we can..The European spec Mondeos are nothing special in that regard..The 2.0 litre engine Ecoboost or TDCi..are okay..but will never come close to exciting us like the 4 litre/V8's we've had til now for why so many of us love owning a big Ford..When Ford through Mondeo decides to have a go in OZ..lets see them at least try and offer the engines that might get the blood pumping.. We need that...not just a box of computer goodies on wheels..Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 23-04-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 23-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #64
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

Chrysler could push the 300C as a Cop replacement Car, with the V8 engine. There is also the Limo market. All together it could make it worth someone bringing a standard size Car again. Until the local stuff had LWB Cars, it was US Cars.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #65
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...How underwhelming is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYxdt_015w I rest my case if the 2.0 litre diesel engine is targeted for Australia...as well as the ecoboost 2.0 petrol..COME ON FORD..Tell us if a V6 will be added..This I couldn't live with..Sorry , there has to be AWD and V6 to have any hope of success..Cheers Rod..
Old 23-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #66
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
...G'day Fair point..that's how it's going to be..regardless of the car's physical size which in Mondeo's case is pretty close..Physical size of the car is one thing but for so many of us that like a bit of good old fashioned sporty grunt in years to come may well have to keep our old Falcons going as long as we can..The European spec Mondeos are nothing special in that regard..The 2.0 litre engine Ecoboost or TDCi..are okay..but will never come close to exciting us like the 4 litre/V8's we've had til now for why so many of us love owning a big Ford..When Ford through Mondeo decides to have a go in OZ..lets see them at least try and offer the engines that might get the blood pumping.. We need that...not just a box of computer goodies on wheels..Cheers Rod
the whole world is going to smaller motors, look at the new ford gt, its v6,

after the falcon there will be no v8 sedan in their stable worldwide, its sad but the falcon and commodore sales show that not as many people want one anymore.

for me when i come back home next year it will be a ss wagon, will have to try and keep that for ever as nothing besides euro comes close and they are already downsizing the sport models motors

Last edited by Giant Cranium; 23-04-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #67
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Why post Falcon does your replacement have to wear a ford badge? What has the blue squashed circle have that other cars dont? They will all be imported? Why worry about a diesel mondeo or only offering a 1.6 or 2.0? If you dont like what ford have to offer in the way of white goods shop at Bing Lee instead of Walmart. Life is too short to settle for what available just because of the badge on the front

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #68
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Why post Falcon does your replacement have to wear a ford badge? What has the blue squashed circle have that other cars dont? They will all be imported? Why worry about a diesel mondeo or only offering a 1.6 or 2.0? If you dont like what ford have to offer in the way of white goods shop at Bing Lee instead of Walmart. Life is too short to settle for what available just because of the badge on the front
G'day..That's fair enough but some people just feel comfortable sticking with a 'family' I suppose..That might sound silly to others..For those of us , many who have had several of one brand it's almost tribal..I'm one of them .Just look at the Bathurst 1000 every year , so many have a loyalty to blue or red. even if it just comes to light that day.. Just how it is.. It'll be a few years yet for me whether I stick with Ford next time or not because I've just bought a later model Ford but it'd be nice to see Ford , Holden and Toyota try and import cars of certain parameters of the majority of buyers IF they want to stay viable. If those parameters turn out not to our liking then maybe another brand might be the choice..Cheers Rod..
Old 23-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #69
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
I can't argue that. Most people i've met who have been big into Ford or Holden have done so claiming it's an Australian car. In other words, they've been in Falcons and Commodores, not the parent brand. The Australian designed (in the Falcon's case anyhow) and built car is gone. There's nothing to be loyal to now.

The replacement for every person will be something different.
There are still performance cars, there's still cars that can tow, there's still comfortable cars great for long road trips, and there's still cars that will fit the whole family.

There's just less of a car that will do it all.

Me? I don't tow and I can count on one hand the number of times i've had anyone in the back seat. I'd consider the Mondeo for the interior comfort. I'd consider a Mustang for the fun and power. That said, I wouldn't mind an off roader so I can start going camping a bit more.

I don't have an allegiance to Ford, and i'll happily look outside the brand, even though I do quite like a few of the cars they currently offer. I'm thinking some of those Skodas look alright!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #70
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I understand what your saying. Most fleet buyers have shifted on to smaller cheaper cars. However keeping the commodore name has helped retain certain fleets. The Police were an example, theve been exclusively commodores since the late 90s and have decided to continue on with commodore patrol cars after 2017. The police force is a high turnover fleet, so its a big contract for Holden NZ at least.

By opting to retain the commodore name and have a direct replacement the police are just renewing/extending the contract instead of having all the manufacturers put in proposals and then choose a new contract all together.

My point is killing the commodore name would only harm sales. There's no reason not to brand it a commodore from a Holden point of view.
Sorry mate, I don't mean to harp on about it, but how can NZ Pol commit to a commodore post '17 when they don't know what car it will be? The name will mean nothing, if commodore is to become a mid size front driver then they may as well buy camrys.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #71
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Sorry mate, I don't mean to harp on about it, but how can NZ Pol commit to a commodore post '17 when they don't know what car it will be? The name will mean nothing, if commodore is to become a mid size front driver then they may as well buy camrys.
It's more a case of they currently have a long standing contract with Holden NZ to supply all the patrol vehicles and have chosen to make no changes to the contract. Should the commodore replacement turn out to be a complete dud and something the NZPF aren't happy to deal with, then they would terminate the contract and look at alternatives. My point is if Holden had ditched the commodore and brought a "replacement" that didn't bear the name and wasn't a direct fit to the existing contract, then the Police would be going through the replacement process right now, instead of in the off change the new commodore is a complete pile of garbage.

That said I'm fairly certain the police were a lot better informed about the specifications of the replacement commodore than the general public. Holden have assured a V6 AWD Full Sized Sedan, and as far as I can tell that would suit the police force's general requirement's well enough. There's no real point in them having V8s (which only the highway partol get) when they're told to abandon any pursuits more than say 150kph cause they become a danger to the public anyway.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 02:39 AM   #72
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day.. No it's 1986 in Tasmania actually , were only 30 years behind the rest.not 36 years
My apologies.

Quote:
No matter how good the 1.5 litre engine in the vid I watched is..and IF it was optional for Australia
It isn't.

Quote:
The 2.0 litre engine Ecoboost or TDCi..are okay..but will never come close to exciting us like the 4 litre/V8's we've had til now for why so many of us love owning a big Ford.
Drive an Ecoboost and tell me it isn't. The 177kW 2.0 litre Ecoboost is quicker than the N/A 4.0-litre, and quicker than V8 Falcons from 1986. Oh wait, there weren't any.

I respect that you may not like the Mondeo. Fair enough, it's not everybody's cup of tea. There's certainly a subjective element to whether one likes a car or not, and you may simply not like it. Fine. Leave it at that.

But if you're going to criticise it, how about basing it on facts?

Why you keep looking up British reviews of the Mondeo I'll never know. Their cars are different to ours, there are differences in engines and specs. Yes, I agree I probably wouldn't buy a Mondeo with a 1.5 Ecoboost if it were available, or any of the diesels, for that matter. But the 1.5 Ecoboost isn't available here. We only get the most powerful diesel and the two most powerful petrol engines. Reviews of smaller engined Mondeos are irrelevant to Australia because it isn't offered in Australia. We don't have the 1.5 Ecoboost in the Mondeo, nor the 1.6 diesel. We've only got a 149kW and 177kW 2.0 litre Ecoboost, and a 400nm 2.0 litre diesel.

Try this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZgunNulyg

Look, the Mondeo isn't a performance car. If that's what you're after, the Mondeo isn't going to fulfill your desires (unless, of course, the rumoured Mondeo ST comes to fruition). But neither are most Falcons, for that matter, with the exception of the V8s and Turbos. I didn't buy the Falcon for its performance, or its 0-100 time. I bought it for its big, spacious cabin, long distance cruising comfort with effortless power for when I need it. On that basis, the Mondeo runs rings around the Falcon, and adds a degree of refinement while it's at it.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #73
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

What about a Mondeo RS wagon? ;-)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #74
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
My apologies.

It isn't.

Drive an Ecoboost and tell me it isn't. The 177kW 2.0 litre Ecoboost is quicker than the N/A 4.0-litre, and quicker than V8 Falcons from 1986. Oh wait, there weren't any.

I respect that you may not like the Mondeo. Fair enough, it's not everybody's cup of tea. There's certainly a subjective element to whether one likes a car or not, and you may simply not like it. Fine. Leave it at that.

But if you're going to criticise it, how about basing it on facts?

Why you keep looking up British reviews of the Mondeo I'll never know. Their cars are different to ours, there are differences in engines and specs. Yes, I agree I probably wouldn't buy a Mondeo with a 1.5 Ecoboost if it were available, or any of the diesels, for that matter. But the 1.5 Ecoboost isn't available here. We only get the most powerful diesel and the two most powerful petrol engines. Reviews of smaller engined Mondeos are irrelevant to Australia because it isn't offered in Australia. We don't have the 1.5 Ecoboost in the Mondeo, nor the 1.6 diesel. We've only got a 149kW and 177kW 2.0 litre Ecoboost, and a 400nm 2.0 litre diesel.

Try this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ZgunNulyg

Look, the Mondeo isn't a performance car. If that's what you're after, the Mondeo isn't going to fulfill your desires (unless, of course, the rumoured Mondeo ST comes to fruition). But neither are most Falcons, for that matter, with the exception of the V8s and Turbos. I didn't buy the Falcon for its performance, or its 0-100 time. I bought it for its big, spacious cabin, long distance cruising comfort with effortless power for when I need it. On that basis, the Mondeo runs rings around the Falcon, and adds a degree of refinement while it's at it.
..G'day ..sorry if I used British models..The video you posted is good..enjoyed it..made sense..my apologies on that...Glad we're not getting smaller engines..I wish and hope though that the V6 if it's available in Australian spec comes along then..I think Ford could do itself a favour to add the V6 in some guise at a later date if consumers give the family sized Ford attention once the final Falcon rolls off the assembly line .That said..The real reason I/we hold the I6 in great stead is it's reliability. We KNOW how reliable the engine is..it proves it year in , year out..bullet proof is often the words used..Neither of mine are heavy on fuel..and the engines are 1850 rpm AU ll and 1550 rpm in the FG at the highway speed limit..I have a few years yet to decide how i feel about the Mondeo and if one day a Mondeo or even a Focus will replace my XR6 .Doesn't matter about the AU cos she's a keeper forever.. ..Cheers Rod

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-04-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 24-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #75
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The real reason I/we hold the I6 in great stead is it's reliability. We KNOW how reliable the engine is..it proves it year in , year out..bullet proof is often the words used.
Finally, we agree on something.

Ecoboost has only been in Fords in Australia since 2011/2012. So its long term reliability is somewhat of an unknown at this stage, I agree.

But I have no reason to doubt it. Innocent until proven guilty, they say ... until the 2.0 litre Ecoboost in Australian Fords (Falcon and Mondeo) prove to be unrealiable, I have no reason to believe that it will be.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #76
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

We all worry about reliability but how many people turf cars at about 5 years. Strange throw away world we live in that we need the latest and greatest
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #77
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
That Chinese Taurus actually looks really nice, wouldn't mind one of those myself.
Same. I think it looks better than the Mondeo and could be a great "larger sedan" alternative to the Mondeo. Even the interior looks better balanced than the Mondeo.

Seriously, if they modded that for Australia (RHD) and put a decently powered engine in it, it'd be the best replacement for the Falcon. It'd likely even be big enough to cater for the chauffeur market.

You can absolutely tell it was designed by the guys here, from some angles it definitely has some synergies with the Falcon.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #78
.:4:.
Kicking back

My opinion is (not an imposing opinion, but my own) if the car makers no longer build high performance large cars, and the police have to use slower cars that could pose an issue on the onset, for a few years that may be an issue. With number plate recognition it shortens the gap, and with time, ie when most of of the high powered cars of today either get crashed or only get driven by enthusiasts, the gap almost closes. Put it this way, a Lamborghini will kill a xr6t any day of the week, yet a camera or two will cut the driver down at the knees. Physical presence reduces wrong doings by miles, but technology gets you without notice.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #79
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

Many people want / need a large Car with grunt. Towing now is mainly by DC 4x's, but things may change. A bigger Car is more stable and has bigger brakes. If you dont need a 4x, the Car is more comfy and in the eyes of many a better choice. If you have 4 kids, a bench front seat in a Falcon is better than a People Mover. ( to many people ) If I had a Ton of sand in a trailer, I want a large RWD Car like a Falcon.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #80
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My opinion is (not an imposing opinion, but my own) if the car makers no longer build high performance large cars, and the police have to use slower cars that could pose an issue on the onset, for a few years that may be an issue. With number plate recognition it shortens the gap, and with time, ie when most of of the high powered cars of today either get crashed or only get driven by enthusiasts, the gap almost closes. Put it this way, a Lamborghini will kill a xr6t any day of the week, yet a camera or two will cut the driver down at the knees. Physical presence reduces wrong doings by miles, but technology gets you without notice.
G'day...I agree with your points except for one...A Lamborghini if faster would only be very marginally quicker off the line..If the XR6T..was flash tuned and a few upgrades the gap would be closer still. Certainly wouldn't "kill it ".Top end , the Lambo certainly mainly because XR6T's are safety rev limited , the lambo is a sports car/tourer only while the XR6 is a more versatile very quick family car..The XR6T is many times cheaper , way cheaper to maintain (a lambo service is around ($2700) by the way ...I looked it up...AND you can fit more than a beauty case in the luggage compartment...It might be a little quicker but I know which one I'd have every day of the week..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 25-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 25-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #81
Struggo

I'd consider a Skoda Superb 206TSI in the future.

2016 Skoda Superb 206TSI 4×4 pricing and specifications:
Price: $50,990
Engine: 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-petrol
Output: 206kW/350Nm
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #82
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Finally, we agree on something.

Ecoboost has only been in Fords in Australia since 2011/2012. So its long term reliability is somewhat of an unknown at this stage, I agree.

But I have no reason to doubt it. Innocent until proven guilty, they say ... until the 2.0 litre Ecoboost in Australian Fords (Falcon and Mondeo) prove to be unrealiable, I have no reason to believe that it will be.
G'day..I have had a quick look at the 2.0 litre Ecoboost in the Focus RS. via You Tube ..It is also AWD. .Nice..sounds really good ...goes like the clappers..You could be right...so long as you don't have too many long term reliability issues..Time will sort that out as you quite rightly say . Still think a V6 option would make a Mondeo in Australia even more attractive for old fogies like me..One day maybe..Cheers Rod..
Old 26-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #83
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsp33d View Post
Same. I think it looks better than the Mondeo and could be a great "larger sedan" alternative to the Mondeo. Even the interior looks better balanced than the Mondeo.

Seriously, if they modded that for Australia (RHD) and put a decently powered engine in it, it'd be the best replacement for the Falcon. It'd likely even be big enough to cater for the chauffeur market.

You can absolutely tell it was designed by the guys here, from some angles it definitely has some synergies with the Falcon.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...dearborn-18252

A blast from the past. Very sad to see what they did to the Falcon both literally and figuratively, left outside in the cold, alone to rot. I will find it very hard to forgive Ford USA for not giving Falcon a chance.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #84
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...dearborn-18252

A blast from the past. Very sad to see what they did to the Falcon both literally and figuratively, left outside in the cold, alone to rot. I will find it very hard to forgive Ford USA for not giving Falcon a chance.
If they're not using it and want to ship it back i'll take it to replace mine. I imagine that one doesn't have 350k on it.

I think the Falcon was fast becoming as niche vehicle, but the Territory would have been something worth keeping. Widely accepted as the best handling SUV, all they'd need to do is give the interior and tech an update and fix any recurring problems, and bam, you have a great SUV for any market.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #85
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something post Falcon - also post Territory for when we lose one we lose both - from the Ford stable:

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/

This is a lot more appealing than much of Ford's future lineup for me.
Old 26-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #86
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Something post Falcon - also post Territory for when we lose one we lose both - from the Ford stable:

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/flex/

This is a lot more appealing than much of Ford's future lineup for me.
Sweet jesus. It looks like a Range Rover got drunk on tequila and hooked up with a Toyota Cube. They should have used protection.
2 users like this post: